Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've been wanting an AR-15 in .223 for a while now, but I had my sights set pretty high and with a new baby just couldn't splurge on some top of the line, Daniel-Defense type AR. I've made several purchases on BudsGunShop, and decided to get the Doublestar Star15 carbine which sells for under $700. It's a plain-jane, no frills rifle with a flattop receiver and A2 front sight. One of the things I really liked is that it's manufactured in Winchester, KY. It is chambered for NATO 5.56 or .223 caliber ammunition.

I received the rifle very quickly, excellent service as always from Buds. Just in case anyone is interested, it ships without a rear sight and a single aluminum mag. Although this is a solid-black rifle, I have always liked the two-color rifles. Since Magpul made several of the items I wanted to put on this gun I went ahead and ordered everything I wanted in the color Dark Earth. It's not an original color combo (you see it a lot) but I like it.

From Magpul I purchased some 30-round PMags, a 20-round PMag with 5-round limiter, PMag Ranger Plates, MBUS Rear Sight, MOE Carbine Stock, MOE Grip, MOE Carbine Handguard, AFG2 Angled Foregrip, and a few rails to attach to the handguard for accessories. I also ordered a Vortex SPARC red dot after deciding against an EOTech for budget and grainy glass reasons. I also do not like the Angled Foregrip at all. I got the smaller AFG2 version, so I'm not sure how much that matters but I really don't like the hand position. I do like the MBUS rear sights though; they have an ambidextrous tab on them that allow the user to flip them up from flat to ready with the push of your thumb.

Originally I had planned on finding a gunsmith to install a few of these items for me. Told you I didn't know much about the AR platform :) Luckily I found out how easy it is to replace parts (at least the large, exterior parts) on these weapons. It literally took me all of 15 minutes or so to remove the old handguards and install the new ones, replace the grip, sliding stock, and attach the rear sight. I slapped in a PMag, attached the red dot to co-witness with my front sight and I was in business.

I actually took her to the range before I made any modifications, and it shoots really nice. This is a gas piston rifle, so I'm not sure how it feels compared to a direct impingement version, but I like it. Has a bit more recoil than a DPMS I have shot before, but with the DPMS I could literally hear some type of spring inside of it after each shot. It was easy to shoot, but I'm not sure what model it was or what type of system it used so that's all I know about it. Anyway, I'm anxious to get back out and get the sights dialed in. Just wanted to share my first AR with ya :)

Doublestar Star15 Carbine

Doublestar Star15 Carbine with Magpul furniture & Vortex SPARC red dot

<p>

Doublestar lower with serial hidden

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Man, that is nice. Looks like the baby's shoes will just have to wait.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very nice. The AR platform is alot of fun to shoot and customize.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh, luckily she's growing fast, but not THAT fast :) 3.5 months old today and actually she is the true love of my life, although I am happy with the Doublestar. Very nice Armalite you have there, do you really use the bipod much? I've debated whether to get one for this or not.

·
Super Moderator
36,024 Posts
OK...it worked...I am officially GREEN with envy !! :D

Congrats on the new rifle.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
You did good. I bought the M4/A3 version and could not be happier with it. My oldest son bought one too to keep in his patrol car. You will hear a lot of garbage about why you should have bought this or that high priced rifle. My rifle is completly stock and has not missed a beat yet and I've put it through some long sessions. I think Doublestar is the Taurus of the AR's.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You did good. I bought the M4/A3 version and could not be happier with it. My oldest son bought one too to keep in his patrol car. You will hear a lot of garbage about why you should have bought this or that high priced rifle. My rifle is completly stock and has not missed a beat yet and I've put it through some long sessions. I think Doublestar is the Taurus of the AR's.
I read up a bit about the Doublestar line and have heard really good things about them as well. Mine seems to be of very good quality, but I have not owned another AR to compare it to. However, just from the HOURS I've spent in the stores drooling over and fondling the different brands, I can say the DS compares very well and in a lot of cases better to the much higher priced models I've had my hands on.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Gas piston for under 700 that is nice. I haven't priced them lately so, maybe they're coming down. Congrats great looking gun there.

·
Administrator
17,799 Posts
Gas piston for under 700 that is nice. I haven't priced them lately so, maybe they're coming down. Congrats great looking gun there.
+1 ! That is a smoking deal on a gas piston drive gun! I've heard very good things about the Double Star Line! Congratulations and Best of Luck with it!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Congrats on your AR. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought the same Doublestar model earlier this year. It is my first AR-15 and I am very pleased with it.

Also recently purchased the Gun Digest Book of the AR-15 (volume 1). Sweeney speaks highly of the Doublestar products that he tested. I bought the rifle before reading the book so it was nice to see that someone who has lots of AR-15 exposure had good things to say about it.

BK

·
10,379 Posts
Thanks for the write up.

I've been looking for an AR lately myself and ended up buying a black powder (one end of the firearm spectrum or none for me..there is no middle ground<G>). I will definitely keep the Doublestar in mind, how much are you planning on shooting this thing? Fun gun or only HD? So far the one I've found that I really liked was around $1,400, by Daniel Defense...bit too spendy for my tastes on a gun I can't/shouldn't use for hunting.

Looks like a helluva firearm, and for around $700 that's a helluva deal.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the write up.

I've been looking for an AR lately myself and ended up buying a black powder (one end of the firearm spectrum or none for me..there is no middle ground<G>). I will definitely keep the Doublestar in mind, how much are you planning on shooting this thing? Fun gun or only HD? So far the one I've found that I really liked was around $1,400, by Daniel Defense...bit too spendy for my tastes on a gun I can't/shouldn't use for hunting.

Looks like a helluva firearm, and for around $700 that's a helluva deal.
I am just a recreational shooter. But although I don't have an underground bunker built or anything, I definitely feel an obligation to my family to be prepared for anything as best I can. The AR was simply rounding out a stable that includes self-defense revolver/semis, shotgun, long-range bolt action, and now the AR. The Daniel Defense guns are nice, and I liked some of the products from Bravo Company and some of the other higher end guns out there. But like I said, this was a purchase that had to fill a utility role as well and budget just didn't allow me to go all out.

I totaled it up today; the cost of the Doublestar after adding the Magpul furniture and BackUp rear sight was around $850. Of course I bought a few more mags than in the pics, and that doesn't include the Vortex red dot ($200), ammo, a case, etc. But to have the basic rifle dressed up a little for well under $1k is a really great deal, considering most of the Sigs and Smiths I looked at were around $1200 just for the base rifle.

Anyway, I hope it holds up as well as I hear they do!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the Star 15 and love it. Bought mine about three years ago. Mine is gas operated. I didn't think they had a piston driven out yet? Anyway, You will enjoy your AR. Doublestars are very accurate rifles. I get 1 moa groups at 100 yards and .75 moa groups at 200 yards. I tried to submit a picture of mine. Bushnell Trophy Red Dot with Pro Mag BUIS. In the future I plan on getting free floating handrails.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If it's one of the non-chrome lined barrels then you might want to make the extra effort to run an oiled patch through it from time to time. Other than that, very nice rifle!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the Star 15 and love it. Bought mine about three years ago. Mine is gas operated. I didn't think they had a piston driven out yet? Anyway, You will enjoy your AR. Doublestars are very accurate rifles. I get 1 moa groups at 100 yards and .75 moa groups at 200 yards. I tried to submit a picture of mine. Bushnell Trophy Red Dot with Pro Mag BUIS. In the future I plan on getting free floating handrails.
Easiest way to insert your pic into this thread is to go to Tinypic, upload your photo, then copy the html for websites/message boards and paste it here. I'd love to see a pic!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it's one of the non-chrome lined barrels then you might want to make the extra effort to run an oiled patch through it from time to time. Other than that, very nice rifle!!!
The Star15 is not chrome-lined, and I tried to read up on that a bit before I purchased mine. As far as I can tell, it only serves as an "easy" cleaning benefit right? But I always clean my firearms after every outing, and sometimes during :)

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Heh, luckily she's growing fast, but not THAT fast :) 3.5 months old today and actually she is the true love of my life, although I am happy with the Doublestar. Very nice Armalite you have there, do you really use the bipod much? I've debated whether to get one for this or not.

I found the pic of my avatar on a Japanese web site. Here is an actual pic of my AR-10. I use the bi-pod to shoot off a few rounds each time I take it out to confirm it is zeroed in.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,526 Posts
Congrats they are a gas to own I had to sell my Sig 556 to pay medical bills. But I refuse to get rid of what a little ammo :) I have so when I get another I will be ready to go.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts