Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Just picked up my new PT99 and put the first 100rds (Independence FMJ) down range. I really love the weight and feel of the gun!

I initially wasn't able to shoot too accurately, but that was my fault -- not the gun's. I've gotten used to shooting my [also new] Bersa Thunder 380 quite a bit for the last week, and the 9mm does kick a little bit more. Also, I had a bit of trouble aligning the sights -- I wasn't paying attention to the dots and realized I was aligning the back sights with the top of the front post, instead of the front dot. Once I figured that out, my shots definitely pulled up to where they should be (or thereabouts, I need to break it in/practice more..). All in all, very pleased the gun!

My only problem is that one of the magazines doesn't catch on the magazine release all the way, and it falls down out of the gun. If I push very hard it will get there, but I don't want to put that much stress on the release. I figure it will be easier just to file down the mag catch slightly rather than send it back for a repair. Kind of an annoyance, but not a big deal at all.

-Jake

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
are you loading it to 17 rounds when you have trouble inserting it?

i have to really cram mine in if i have 17 rounds loaded.. took a while for the springs to break in enough for me to even get that last round in.

with 16 rounds they go in nice and smooth.

have fun with your 99.. they're great guns.

·
22,058 Posts
I use a universal mag loader. Its the only way I seem to be able to get the 17th round into the mag. Also saves my thumb and finger from pain.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
lso, I had a bit of trouble aligning the sights -- I wasn't paying attention to the dots and realized I was aligning the back sights with the top of the front post, instead of the front dot.
That's how it should be... but you might have to cover part of the target with the front sight.

If you have a PT99; it shouldn't be a problem because they come with adjustable rear sight so you can adjust it to what ever POA you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Actually, the mag catch problem happens even when it's empty -- and they're 15rd magazines (I live in NJ..). As far as the sight alignment problem, I also realized that when I was trying to adjust the rear sights to bring my shots up I was dropping it down.

My logic -- lower sight, higher shot -- you know, because it's the back sight and it would be opposite and all... Yeah, not quite. After playing with this for about 15 minutes i figured out I was doing it backwards. Now I'm liking the gun even more than before!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts