Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. There I am in the process of buying a new gun. Made my decision after reading all the pros and cons. I told the sales clerk at Academy in McAllen, Texas that I wanted the Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm. :) He gives this "Ugh!" look. :mad: He sees that I get a WFT?! on my face regarding his reaction. Clerk sez "Well. Taurus are not bad guns. But. You know. Their firing pins are kind of flimsy." He proceeds to rack the slide back and show me the firing. "See that? It doesn't give me confidence that it will not break down or go off." Then he proceeds to show me the same section on the Glock and a Sigma 9 S&W. "See. Sturdy on both guns." So. There I am. I had thought about this gun for months. I already had my $$ on my hand to get the Taurus. ??? What to do? Well. I went I ahead. "Give me the Taurus."

Now. I am happy with my purchase and I must have read different articles and internet blogs and forums and I have not heard anything negative about the firing pin or it being flimsy. Any owners out there that have been having problems with this issue??? Is this a real issue or was sales clerk FOS?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm guessing the clerk could be classified as a gunshop commando. Especially since he implied that a Sigma was a better choice, they might be for some people but when the overall line seems to have a consistent track record....

Steelheart

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll let you know if it's true and something happens to mine. I just picked up one about 2 weeks ago and plan to head out to the range this weekend with about 300 rounds of different ammo. I am not a 9mm guy, but my son has one and he wants me to go to the range and shoot with him. I figured I would get one and we can share bulk boxes of ammo. Any time my sons want the old man to be with them I take them up on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ok don't hate me, but being the boss, has it's perks. I was able to run out to the range, which is only 5 miles away, and shoot two mags of the Winchester 147gr. BEB. One target at 15yards and one at 25yards. Both shot freehand. Now I am not 9mm guy, but damn that was fun and this gun shoots damn good, but then so does all of my Taurus guns. Oh by the way....so far.....no broken firing pin!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
thats pretty good shooting off-hand at 25 yards. when i really slow down, hold her steady, and follow through w/ my trigger squeeze the 24/7 pro in 9mm is pretty darn accurate. i found out today however that remington umc 115 gr jhp is NOT an accurate load out of it. very poor groopings (who knows, could just be me tho, and i only fired 100 rounds), but functioned flawlessly. i really like this thing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Kir,

The 15 yard grouping was a little scary at first, that is untill I got used to the guns trigger, then the groups started forming. It's a little different than my PT-145, or at least it feels different. The 25 yard target was slow, calculated, shooting and I was very impressed with the group....that is until the wind started blowing as you can see by the spray to the left of the bull. It was all I could do to keep the sights on the paper.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've pulled the firing pins out of the 24/7 and the Millennium Pros and both are substantial pieces of metal... pretty comperable to the firing pins on the Browning High Power... at least at the firing pin part. I certainly wouldn't be horaaed by an ignorante saleman.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cimarron said:
I've pulled the firing pins out of the 24/7 and the Millennium Pros and both are substantial pieces of metal... pretty comperable to the firing pins on the Browning High Power... at least at the firing pin part. I certainly wouldn't be horaaed by an ignorante saleman.
;D Thanks. It just caught a bit surprised by what he said since I had not read anything by way of magazines or internet range reports reg. a firing pin issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
He was just trying to sell you something with a higher profit margin.

If taurus firing pins were breaking, you'd hear about it, and also, taurus would fix the problem quick because they wouldn't want to replace all the broken guns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
WTF?? whats up with these wanna be Master Gunner Techs at Academy. I went thru a little of the same here but it wasnt the firing pin, it was the "constant jamming due to poor engineering"... So he proceeds to tell me how the CZ and Glock were such superior pistols..yada yada yada ... I told him out right.. I bought my Sig,Baby Desert Eagle and CZ here.. and i have since sold them all.. only to go to my Taurus.. which had better accuracy, feel and handles better than all of the previous pistols... Then he looks at me with this "DUGH, DUGH," look.. my wifes laughs, and says " we are here to get targets and rounds, not to insult the mans intelligence.. this is Academy NOT Surplus City..." We then proceed to check out and leave.. DO NOT go by what most salesmen are telling you.. unless he carries a PT as a personal weapon. When it comes to money people will sell you anything.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Think about it, the guy works at Academy. One day hes selling guns the next day womans jogging pants the next day fishing gear the next treadmills and so on and so on. He is in no way shape or form an expert in firearms or he would be working as a gunsmith ;)

You did the right thing. You did your own research and made up your mind thats what you wanted and you went out and got it, good job! and great choice for a 9mm

I will be picking one up 3rd on my list of next to buy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.