Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting wear on a corner of the firing pin stop which appears to be going into the slide. This is after only 70 rounds fired in my new Taurus 1911. I showed it to a gunsmith at my local gun store. He said as long as there is no malfunction, don't worry about it. There's been no malfunction, but I am worried. Should I be? I seem to remember a similar post on this site, but could not find it. Should I contact Taurus?

IMAG0164.jpg

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Same thing was wrong with mine except the FPS on mine was more melded (so it seemed) with the slide. I called up Taurus and voiced my concerns and they told me to go ahead and send it back in. Got it back somewhere around 16 days or so (I'm brain-farting on the exact number of days) with a new slide on it. They ended up calling it a manufacturing defect...
i had a post somewhere on here with all the details...but long story short, if it's a new gun Taurus will pick up the shipping...I'd give them a call and they'll set you straight. I've not had any issues with their CS yet!

here is the link to my thread...

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-1911-s/75731-i-would-like-some-advice.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing was wrong with mine except the FPS on mine was more melded (so it seemed) with the slide. I called up Taurus and voiced my concerns and they told me to go ahead and send it back in. Got it back somewhere around 16 days or so (I'm brain-farting on the exact number of days) with a new slide on it. They ended up calling it a manufacturing defect...
i had a post somewhere on here with all the details...but long story short, if it's a new gun Taurus will pick up the shipping...I'd give them a call and they'll set you straight. I've not had any issues with their CS yet!

here is the link to my thread...

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-1911-s/75731-i-would-like-some-advice.html
Thanks. How did you ship it? Do guns have to be shipped via FFL.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
If you call Taurus CS and they tell you they need to look at it, they will e-mail you a Fed-Ex label or arrange for Fed-Ex to pick up the gun. That is if the gun is new in the first six months after purchase. If it is older than that, they will not pay for shipping. Knowing this will help you if you have problems. Recent reports are coming in that they are getting stricter on their paying for the shipping. If you met the criteria stated, and they do not want to pay for the shipping, ask to speak to a supervisor. Be polite about it but be firm. If you are not satisfied with the phone call, you can hang up and call later hoping to get a different person on the line. Wait times have gone up as Christmas gifts and the uptick in recent sales have increased meaning more calls to CS. If you are shipping by Fed-Ex, just put it in the plastic case it came with, including the magazines, and slide that case into a Fed-Ex box with some packing around the case to keep it secure.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think it needs to go back to Miami. On a new gun Taurus should cover the shipping costs in both directions. I would call CS on a speaker phone because I recently called and had a 45 minute wait until I could speak with someone. In my experience Taurus has always been very good about paying for shipping.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Thanks. How did you ship it? Do guns have to be shipped via FFL.
It all depends on your state laws...so look into that.
what I did was just like HD-Mike said, put it in the case then into a box and slapped the FedEx label on it and then the wait begins...you'll feel like a kid at Xmas time just waiting for the day for it show back up and rip that box open!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMC, thanks for your response. I called Taurus. They emailed me a prepaid shipping label to send to Miami. I dropped it off at FedEx today. I was told to ship in the original plastic gun case with the magazines along with a description of the problem. Now the wait begins.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I would check Taurus' website daily when mine was in for repair...the anticipation was agonizing! I hope you get a quick turnaround.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am getting wear on a corner of the firing pin stop which appears to be going into the slide. This is after only 70 rounds fired in my new Taurus 1911. I showed it to a gunsmith at my local gun store. He said as long as there is no malfunction, don't worry about it. There's been no malfunction, but I am worried. Should I be? I seem to remember a similar post on this site, but could not find it. Should I contact Taurus?

I wouldn't think that after 70 rounds any piece of steel would wear to the extent that your FPS wore, the only part that rubs against it is the hammer face, unless your hammer has some roughness I can't see were it would be possible for the hammer to wear the FPS, I believe the gun was shipped that way, and the fact that the bottom of the FPS doesn't look even across, should not hinder the FPS to function as intended, that is to cock the hammer, I personally change the stock FPS to the EGW oversize FPS that come completely square on the bottom, I just barely break the square corner with the smallest radius I can make, which is the way JMB intended the FPS to be.

EGW square bottom oversize FPS next to a stock FPS

Shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

Reactions: BMC

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cuban, I am planning on installing the EGW oversize FPS. I was going to wait until I was sure that there are no other issues. I may just go ahead and order it, along with a 14 lb recoil spring, anyway while Taurus is working on it. You're probably right that it is not wearing, but was shipped that way. The hammer looked okay. It did seem odd to me that the FPS would be wearing while the hammer looked fine.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Cuban, I am planning on installing the EGW oversize FPS. I was going to wait until I was sure that there are no other issues. I may just go ahead and order it, along with a 14 lb recoil spring, anyway while Taurus is working on it. You're probably right that it is not wearing, but was shipped that way. The hammer looked okay. It did seem odd to me that the FPS would be wearing while the hammer looked fine.
If you want to experience the percieved recoil reduction offered by a square bottom FPS you will need to change out the stock 17.4 pound main spring for a standard 23 pound main spring, but be far warned that changing to a 23 pound main spring will increase your trigger pull and make the cocking of the hammer a bit more difficult, but it also will put you on target in quiker time and make your brass fall at your feet, and no more tourqueing to the right when firing a round, just a straight back smack in the palm of your hand. I've even gone so far as tapering the FPS to illiminate all the gap between the hammer and the FPS and take advantage of all the leverage offered by the square FPS 0 gap, illiminating any chance of a running start from the slide.

If you want to know more PM me.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's an update. Taurus received the pistol on 1/21/2013. They sent me an email confirming receipt and a letter via snail mail. They wrote that "processing" would take approximately y six weeks. I monitored the repair status every couple of days on their website: http://www.taurususa.com/status. On1/31/2013 the status showed "Repair completed". On 2/1 it was shipped. I received it today, 2/4 via FedEx. Not bad turn around time.

The warranty repair letter states, "Problem Found: PART DAMAGED-Firing pin retaining pin. Resolution-REPLACED". The firing pin stop was evidently replaced. Since I don't see "Firing pin retaining pin" in my parts list, they must mean firing pin stop.

I'm going to run about 50 rounds through it to be sure the problem does not recur. Then I plan on replacing the
firing pin stop with a new square bottom one I bought from EGW

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Congrats on getting her home so quickly...now update us on how she shoots!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I shot about 50 rounds prior to my local club IDPA match. Everything worked well.

Next step is to install the new EGW stop. Before leaving for the match I tried to slide it off, but it wouldn't budge. It looks like I'll need to put it on the work bench to put serious leverage on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts