Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PT145 Millennium Pro won't fire.

The firing pin block safety won't release and permit the gun to fire.

I took the slide out and can see the problem. The firing pin lock (item 1.16 on parts diagram) has the offset part (at the bottom of the pin) broken off. This part is what the trigger pushes against to move the lock pin up, thus allowing the firing pin to strike the cartridge primer and fire the gun.

I seem to have two options.

1. find a replacement firing pin lock and take the broken one out and replace it with the new one.

2. remove the firing pin lock and the spring that actuates it in the"safe" condition, which essentially removes that one of the three safeties.

It appears the assembly (firing pin lock & spring) are held in place with asmall pin that would be driven out to remove the broken part.

Has anybody ever had this problem, and if so how did you solve it.

As near as I can tell, unless the firing pin lock safety is fixed or removed, the entire gun becomes junk.

I might add that I have an idea when this part broke as the last time I fired the gun and took the slide off to clean it, I had and extremely hard time getting the slide to come off after I had removed the disassembling latch and pulled the trigger back to remove the slide assembly. It appeared to jam and after several attempts finally came off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best bet is to try ebay for spare part. Taurus will be no help since gun is recalled.
Checked ebay...nada.

At the risk of appearing ignorant (not that it matters) what was the recall? I don't ever remember getting any information about it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Checked ebay...nada.

At the risk of appearing ignorant (not that it matters) what was the recall? I don't ever remember getting any information about it.
O boy you have a lot of catching up to do. Long story short the millennium pro's were recalled a few years ago for safety issue. Taurus went through a long legal battle and in the mean time started to offer replacements for affected guns. Most if not all affected received the G2 9mm models. Some opted for monetary pay out not to exceed 200.00. Just do a search for Taurus recall. Not sure how it is being handled now by Taurus . If you really like the gun do not send to Taurus they will not fix and send back. They will keep it. Would give them a call Monday to see if they are still offering a replacement for it. May give you a new G2C for it. Wait time may take a while.

·
Super Moderator
37,583 Posts
Options now are to buy another one for spare parts, turn yours in for a replacement PT 111 G2c (9mm), or if you still want a compact poly pistol for carry in 45 ACP take the 200.00 Taurus will give you for yours and add some money to it to buy a S & W Compact Shield like I did or a Springfield XD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm one step ahead on new pistols...got a pair of Springfield XDs, 45 for me 9mm for the wife. Also just got a 1911 from the CMP "lottery". Have a Taurus Public Defender for my "bedroom gun" and an old Taurus 9mm.

Haven't used the PT145 for a while, so not depending on it. Did some research on the web about the recall....what bother's me most I never got any notification, nor did a buddy of mine who bought his at the same time, same store as me. From what I've read there would be no way I'd sent a gun back to them. If the PT145 proves to be dangerous, i'd torch it in half before I'd send it to anyone.

I have done a lot of mechanical repair stuff, and always wanted to get "smart" on guns....so may just use the PT145 as a teachable moment on learning what tools are needed for working on guns. I've completely dissambled, restored and put back together a '72 Roadrunner....so have some degree of mechanical expertise. Always wanted to get into reloading too....

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'm one step ahead on new pistols...got a pair of Springfield XDs, 45 for me 9mm for the wife. Also just got a 1911 from the CMP "lottery". Have a Taurus Public Defender for my "bedroom gun" and an old Taurus 9mm.

Haven't used the PT145 for a while, so not depending on it. Did some research on the web about the recall....what bother's me most I never got any notification, nor did a buddy of mine who bought his at the same time, same store as me. From what I've read there would be no way I'd sent a gun back to them. If the PT145 proves to be dangerous, i'd torch it in half before I'd send it to anyone.

I have done a lot of mechanical repair stuff, and always wanted to get "smart" on guns....so may just use the PT145 as a teachable moment on learning what tools are needed for working on guns. I've completely dissambled, restored and put back together a '72 Roadrunner....so have some degree of mechanical expertise. Always wanted to get into reloading too....
Not surprised that they did not notify you. They handled the whole recall miserably start to finish.

·
Super Moderator
37,583 Posts
Not surprised that they did not notify you. They handled the whole recall miserably start to finish.

If a buyer never had contact with the factory, how would they know where to go for the contact? Plus many people change email and physical addresses over the years.

Now they are culpable when it come to returning firearms...either repaired or replaced, because they have a phone number and email for those when they were forwarded to them.

Bottom line...if they tighten up their ship in terms of records and followup, they would have happier customers and actually reduce their workload. (not to mention liability when they ship a firearm to someplace it's not supposed to go)

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
seldom is a buyer of a particular weapon that is involved in a recall notified!
its normally advertised in like a million places , such as publications, gun shops, internet, factory web sites etc.
a manufacture of a firearm has no way of knowing who has purchased one of the firearms as FFL forms are NOT sent in, they remain at the gun shop (FFL).

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
I register new firearmes with manufacturer via their website or by mail. Call me crazy.
that and any repair info they get is about the only way they know who has the weapons and even then they may have moved on to another user in time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Firing Pin Safety Issue 01 (composite).jpg

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This is a composite image showing exactly what is "broken" in my PT145.

On the left is an bottom view of the slide, with the barrel to the right, and the right side up. The red box shows where the firing pin safety is located. The yellow circle is the bottom of the pin, which when pushed UP is removed from the "safe" position, allowing the firing pin to contact the primer of a round in the barrel, thus firing that round. The green "X" is the part of the firing pin safety that is broken off.

The right image shows the gun from it's right side and the trigger pulled fully to the "fire" position. The red box shows the part of the trigger that moves aft (yellow arrow) and contacts the firing pin safety, pushes it UP, removing it from the "safe" position, thus allowing the gun to fire.

In this gun because the portion of the firing pin safety that is contacted by the trigger when pulled back, is broken off, the firing pin safety cannot be moved UP to the "fire" position, thus rendering the gun useless as it can NEVER BE FIRED!

Ironic that the lawsuit issue was a gun that fired when it should NOT have...in this case the gun CANNOT BE FIRED, even when it is supposed to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I were you I'd just remove it.
I decided to send the gun to Taurus to see if they could repair it....yeah, right, uh huh, FAT CHANCE! But I asked them that IF the gun could not be repaired (when I asked if they had the parts....all I got was a runaround) would I have the option to either get a replacement (9mm G2 Millennium) or have them send it back to me. They said the could send it back, but with a letter that I assume was some sort of release from any responsibility by Taurus, due to the lawsuit.

So I figured, what the hell? If they fix it, fine (FAT CHANCE THAT WILL HAPPEN), if not then I can get it back, remove the malfunction, and keep it, or just get a new gun, albeit a 9mm. As I mentioned I have several .45 ACP pistols (including my newly acquired 1911) so at worse I'd end up with a gun that doesn't work anyhow....to mess around with and see if I can fix it.

·
Super Moderator
37,583 Posts
Even though I came out short moneywise with the replacement of my PT 145 SS with a PT 111 G2 SS, the new gun is very nice and a good value at about $230.00 retail. Keep us informed as to the outcome!

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 17 of 17 Posts