Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just greaaat. So I have a broken ejector and now a firing pin after 500 rounds. Going back to Taurus I guess! Here is my first two magazines through the gun just before it broke:

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
What were you shooting? What range? Those holes just look strange.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Yep, the targets look like the rounds were key-holing. Only two questions? Have you hand loaded rounds through the breach and have you dry fired a lot? Actually three question after seeing the key holes, were you shooting reloads?

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
well you managed to break the two parts on a 1911 that are known to break--just not usually!!-LOL
Just a note of wisdom here from living under the rule of "Murphys Law" for over 60 years.
be prepared!
I always keep and extra firing pin and extractor and recoil spring for a 1911, I always keep an extra recoil spring assembly for any other semi auto psitol,and i always keep a firing pin for any 22 semi auto pistol.
IF you do this you will never have one break.
Everyone has an opinion and heres mine!
i see nothing wrong with your target or projectiles, its not unusual for a paper target thats not backed up with cardboard to have tear out like this especially when shooting round nose, FMJ or hollow point ammo.
the thinner (cheaper) the target the more tear out.
SWC's make nice round holes in paper but look really weird in the magazine.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I do NOT know if it will fit the Taurus 1911, but the firing pin for the RUGER SR1911 is TITANIUM, very light weight, and almost unbreakable.

It is available on the ruger.com website.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I jumped the gun a bit on this thread and just posted what the guy working at the range said. I took it apart and nothing was broken. It seems like the firing pin was getting hung up on the firing pin safety... I removed the safety and it seems to work fine now. As far as the holes I am shooting PMC bronze ammo only, been through about five hundred rounds. That was at 10 yards.

·
Registered
729 Posts
well you managed to break the two parts on a 1911 that are known to break--just not usually!!-LOL
Just a note of wisdom here from living under the rule of "Murphys Law" for over 60 years.
be prepared!
I always keep and extra firing pin and extractor and recoil spring for a 1911, I always keep an extra recoil spring assembly for any other semi auto psitol,and i always keep a firing pin for any 22 semi auto pistol.
IF you do this you will never have one break.
Everyone has an opinion and heres mine!
i see nothing wrong with your target or projectiles, its not unusual for a paper target thats not backed up with cardboard to have tear out like this especially when shooting round nose, FMJ or hollow point ammo.
the thinner (cheaper) the target the more tear out.
SWC's make nice round holes in paper but look really weird in the magazine.
Extractor, firing pin, springs = consumables. Always have extras on hand.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
So what weight of spring should a guy have for a back up? What comes in a PT1911?
I believe the stock recoil spring on the PT1911 is 16#. The stock Main Spring is 17-18#.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems, but on the bright side the 1911 platform is probably the easiest there is for changing out a firing pin. Takes about 2 minutes with no tools required. :icon_ lala:

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
Not absolutely positive that the PT-1911 conforms to 1911 Government standards, but Wolff offers a lot of information on std. 1911s:
Springs for COLT 1911 GOV'T PISTOL Semi-Auto Pistols
IF memeory serves??
a standard (if you will) 1911 recoil spring I think is about 16 pounds and the mainspring about 22-23 pounds.
I am pretty sure though that Taurus uses a lighter spring than Mil spec, like a 13-14 and a 19-20??
don't know for sure.
of course the standard weight is figured that you are going to use 230 FMJ, so the recoil spring can be adjusted in weight for what you are actually shooting in the gun.
actually several of mine differ especially the Para and the Springer Range Officer, the para is heavier than standard and the range officer is both heavier and a longer recoil spring as its pre laoded due to being set up for targets.
I run everything from 175 grain to full house 230 grain through my 1911's and they all run fine with all ammoes and springs?
hope this helps!
Cuban or Greenwolf will be along and tell us what Taurus actually use i bet before long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts