Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I got a used PT145 and took it to the range to try out. The first couple magazines fired without a issue. When I load the 3rd magazine I could not pull the trigger. It went from maybe 4 to 5 pound SA pull to maybe 50 pounds. When I got home I went to take the slide off and it was next to impossible.

I shipped the gun off the Tauras and 2 weeks later I called them and they said that the gun was repaired and shipped back to me 2 days ago. Suppose to be delivered on Friday. Not bad service if it is fixed.

They said that it was a broken or bad "firing pin block" that caused the stiff trigger pull. My questions are:
I have never had a firing pin block break or go bad. What can cause that?

Is that a common problem with the PT guns?

With out firing a couple hundred round through thee gun would you trust it?

This is the first Taurus pistol that I have owned and just not familiar with the pistols or history.
Have a bunch of other brand pistols and have not had an issue with the firing pin block.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
A couple weeks ago I got a used PT145 and took it to the range to try out. The first couple magazines fired without a issue. When I load the 3rd magazine I could not pull the trigger. It went from maybe 4 to 5 pound SA pull to maybe 50 pounds. When I got home I went to take the slide off and it was next to impossible.

I shipped the gun off the Tauras and 2 weeks later I called them and they said that the gun was repaired and shipped back to me 2 days ago. Suppose to be delivered on Friday. Not bad service if it is fixed.

They said that it was a broken or bad "firing pin block" that caused the stiff trigger pull. My questions are:
I have never had a firing pin block break or go bad. What can cause that?

Is that a common problem with the PT guns?

With out firing a couple hundred round through thee gun would you trust it?

This is the first Taurus pistol that I have owned and just not familiar with the pistols or history.
Have a bunch of other brand pistols and have not had an issue with the firing pin block.
Hi there.

You might get more responses here: Taurus Product Problems

Hopefully a mod will move it for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
First off welcome.

As to the problems & questions, everything mechanical/man made is subject to breaking. It's the nature of the beast so to speak. Every Taurus I've owned has been as good as any and better than many other guns I've had and or fired.

As to the trust issue, I know ppl who won't trust ANY gun w/o 300 + flawless rounds and I know some like me that know everything mechanical is subject to failure and not all gun failures are gun problems.

The question is can YOU trust it? I'd probably at least try a box of ammo to make sure it was fixed. If so I'd trust it as much as I do any mechanical device. The more complicated the more likely to break. That's why my primary is a revolver.

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Its not a common problem as much as say a firing pin or extractor but anything can break when you get it back I would put 100 or so rounds through it and if no probs then you are good to go.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Having your confidence shaken one time in a gun used for self-defense is a worrisome problem. What will it take to restore confidence in such a gun, if confidence can be restored without those nagging thoughts in the back of your head...will this shoot when I need it to?

I would want to shoot hundreds of rounds through such a gun. Knowing that any gun can fail is not a confidence builder...I am concerned with "Will my gun fail?" Only you can answer that question but you can stack the odds in your favor by using the gun and maintaining it properly. That means shooting it a whole bunch. And if that doesn't do it for you get another gun. After all you are beating your life on it.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts