Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 22lr pistol. Not too impressed with the Taurus PT-22.
Kinda liked the Wather P22 and the Ruger SR22. Then saw the ATI Firefly. Interesting!
Checked it out on YouTube. It used to be called the Sig Mosquito, made by GSG (German Sports Guns) for Sig. Then Sig decided to abandon it, and GSG bought the rights. Now GSG still makes it, but American Tactical Imports (ATI) imports it to the U.S. Call it what you will, it's still the same gun. I've seen it for as low as $159, to as high as $285-300. Much cheaper than the Ruger or even the Walther. Reviews say it's not too reliable with cheap, low-power ammo. That's ok; I'm only going to use it as a plinker.
Going to the gun show here in Vegas this weekend to see if I can pick one up cheap.
Any comments?

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I have one (one month old ) and mine has been super with CCI Blasers and mini mags so far I have about 400 round through it and I have had no malfunctions that have not been caused by me I spent to may years shooting 1911s with a high thumb and cant figure out where to put my thumb on the firefly (slide release in same place as 1911 safety)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have a Sig Misquito that I bought new probably 5 years ago. After I bought it I went on 1 of the gun forums I frequent and mentioned what I bought. All of a sudden out came the haters. You know; those guns are jam-a-matics, they don't feed well, they don't eject well, blah, blah, blah. Well needless to say I was kind of bummed and not expecting much from my purchase. Well, I have shot that little handgun for the past 5 years, and it actually has been a pretty good little pistol. The trigger is long, but once ya get used to it, it's workable. I've shot pretty much CCI Blazers in it for the most part. When I reported my good luck to the folks on the other board, they were all breaking my sneakers about how I should go buy a lottery ticket, how I must be the "1" guy who got the "1" good one. I don't know why, but for the most part I do not have problems with ANY of my guns. I run 'em a bit wet when I'm breaking them in, and it seems to work fine for me in the long run. I do have other 22's, that I prefer, but for the money I don't think you can go wrong.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mine has worked fine. I used Fiocchi 1250fps to break it in and now it eats everything but hollow points and that may be the type I have:

_29Login Trains.JPG _29Login Trains.JPG

I'm not as accurate with it as I am with my Ruger Standard, not sure if it's the weight or the barrel length.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Take a look at a Walther P22QD or a PPQ M2, They're great fun.

Reactions: MARINEDIVISIONTWO

·
8,893 Posts
For the price (mid to high $100) it is ok. Just know going in, break it in with Hi velocity - quality 22LR first to maximize its usefulness. I do have concerns about warranty support with ATI. But for that price range, the only other choice is a Pheonix HP22A. Which is pretty reliable and I have heard Pheonix has great CS. Something to consider: I bought a $300 Ruger Mark4 22/45 with the bull barrel, then bought a 22/45 lite upper for $189. Now I have both a long range target pistol and a medium distance plinker with threaded barrel. So for the cost of a 22/45 lite I have two pistols.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Reactions: olfarhors and MoMan

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
And so not too long ago I bought the S&W Compact 22lr.It was finicky with ammo all sorts even Stingers and CCI ! I gave it up in Pursuit of a 22lr revolver ! The GSGs my neighbor owns one and some what finicky with ammo but seems to work better than my S&W ! A revolver will go bang everytime but needs thourough cleaning after 200 rounds or so ! Go with what is comfortable for you !

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Walther here, no complaints after a couple of bricks.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Oh, hell yea!! GREAT call. I have the Thunder 22, and the Thunder 380, both are also great guns. The T-22 is a bit tougher to come by, and cost a couple of bucks more, BUT definitely worth considering.
friend/neighbor wanted a 22 semi to pocket carry, I advised something bigger but he was set.
he also asked about a J-22 Jimenez, I said well I would spend a tad more and get a better gun.
he bought a jimenesz
went to the range after I cleaned it and lubed it for him, he nor I could get through a complete mag without a malfunction.
he got disappointed quickly. I suggested the Bersa thunder 22.
next trip he is shooting my bersa thunder 380 to see how it fits him.
quoted a price of like 279.99 for a 22 bersa here, with tax just above 3 bills.
this was his very first time firing a weapon, and no it wasn't the shooter, he ran 25 or so rounds through my new Sig 365 and it ran 100% for him, although he had a bad flinch from the noise, recoil and muzzle blast.

Reactions: MoMan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the GSG Firefly, and it functions fine with CCI Mini Mags, but the trigger on mine is terrible, and I'm not a trigger snob.
I have an older Walther P22, and as long as you use some peppy ammo, it runs fine.
Also have the Bersa .22, there's nothing not to like about that little gem.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
friend/neighbor wanted a 22 semi to pocket carry, I advised something bigger but he was set.
he also asked about a J-22 Jimenez, I said well I would spend a tad more and get a better gun.
he bought a jimenesz
went to the range after I cleaned it and lubed it for him, he nor I could get through a complete mag without a malfunction.
he got disappointed quickly. I suggested the Bersa thunder 22.
next trip he is shooting my bersa thunder 380 to see how it fits him.
quoted a price of like 279.99 for a 22 bersa here, with tax just above 3 bills.
this was his very first time firing a weapon, and no it wasn't the shooter, he ran 25 or so rounds through my new Sig 365 and it ran 100% for him, although he had a bad flinch from the noise, recoil and muzzle blast.
Good call on having him shoot the Bersa 380. The T-380 and T-22 are the exact same size, right down to the girth of the grip. I had a Buddy of mine, and his Wife visit us last year. She had just gotten her carry permit in NYS, and didn't know what she wanted. We took a "bunch" of my different handguns out to the range while they were here, and she narrowed it down to she "really likes the feel" of the 22. Took her out again, and she really did shoot it well. They went home and she ordered herself a Bersa Thunder 22. They were just down here last week, and we did some shooting. She can shoot it really well.

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 20 of 35 Posts