Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two big guns fired flawlessly... The RB 44 was very controllable and not unpleasant at all to shoot 225gr Hornady. The RB 454 on the other hand sure gives a good kick everytime I pulled the trigger but not to the point where it's unbearable. But I think 240gr is where I'll stay until I build enough courage to maybe take it up a notch to 260-300 grain lol... Both the RBs shoots better than I can. I hit the paper targets (8.5" x 8.5")from twenty yards everytime. The trigger pull on both RBs in single action which the only way I fired was awesome. It's a surprise everytime and sometimes I wasn't even ready yet... it maybe too light for me... lol...

The 941SS was very pleasant to shoot and very accurate. But the empty shells refused to come out. Fired 50 rounds out of 200 that I brought with me and I have to quit firing the 941 due to the time it takes to get the empty shells out.. Got kind of disappointed, I guess, it's like my Sig Sauer Mosquito very picky. I was using Hornady 45gr FTX Critical defense 22WMR bullets. Any recommendation guys? I'll try CCI next time if I can find one locally.

·
Registered
13,879 Posts
Sounds like yesterday was a good day for breaking in revolvers. I took two of mine down to the ranch and broke them in....well one more of less broke me in...LOL. First was my M65 .357magnum which has great accuracy to it, however after a few rounds it begins to hang up. I figure it has to do with clearance issues and heat building. It may be my very first Taurus to make a trip to Florida with out me being on vacation.
The second revolver was my M500, 4" Stainless. This sucker is pure explosive energy just waiting to be unleashed. This pistol physically displays "Newtons's Law of motion" in an impressive manner. IE: Summary....."every action has an equal and opposite reaction"
I enjoy shooting 454 loads in my Raging Judge, however the .500 mag load seems to cross the line into insane and pain. I know that there are owners who love shooting the .500, and maybe one will come across my listing in the classified section.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On the 941, clean the chambers very well and look for boring tool chatter marks in each cylinder. most 941's have them. I took a Dremel and small round cotton polishing wheels (which I still had to cut smaller with scissors) and some metal polishing paste to polish out the marks. Now mine ejects all brands and is still VERY accurate. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Saturday was a good day to break in the guns on slumber inside the safe. LOL! 454 is it for me. I need to polished up my shooting ability.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gadget111, I did look at each cylinder and I can't see any difference. I shoved a copper brush in and out as much as I can on every cylinder holes while drenching it with bore cleaner. Hopefully, that takes care of the problem. I'll try CCI rounds also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can also chuck a bore brush in an electric drill and put some polish on a patch and due each cylinder that way. Just cleaning probably will not stop the sticking shells. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That's great! Just out of curiousity, if you had to give up either your .44 or .454, which one would you keep, and why?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can also chuck a bore brush in an electric drill and put some polish on a patch and due each cylinder that way. Just cleaning probably will not stop the sticking shells. Good luck.
I should probably do that with the drill... It would be a lot easier and quicker. Thanks for the tip...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great! Just out of curiousity, if you had to give up either your .44 or .454, which one would you keep, and why?
I'd probably give up the 454 and keep the 44. my reason are: 1. The price of the bullets 2. It's easier for me to shoot the 44 than the 454. 3. 44 could handle just about anything around Texas.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Sounds like you had a pretty good day at the range. When I shoot the big bores I always seem to subconsciously note how much money just left the barrel:).

That Hornady ammo is pretty clean but I like your idea of trying different ammo. If the other ammo is sticking those cylinders may just need a shine. I'll give 'em a wipe down at the range even, if I notice ejection becoming sticky.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'd probably give up the 454 and keep the 44. my reason are: 1. The price of the bullets 2. It's easier for me to shoot the 44 than the 454. 3. 44 could handle just about anything around Texas.
Good sound reasoning. :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts