Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I am waiting on my 709B Slim to arrive and I have been researching everything I can about it to be prepared. Upon looking at the Taurus website listing, there is no info on what is included. So, I called Taurus. My question was about the factory fired round that I see all Mfg's include with a handgun. Taurus said they do not include one. I thought this was a federal firearms requirement for all new handguns to be sold with one.

Luci

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 905 and it didn`t have one either, I made 250 of my own

·
Registered
666 Posts
IIRC, it's not a federal requirement. In NYS, we have a program called COBIS where the state requires a fired casing, provided by the manufacturer, to be kept in our state capital. The idea is that the fired case could "prove" or "disprove" that a particular firearm was used in the commission of a crime. To my knowledge, it has not helped to solve any criminal cases, yet costs millions of dollars per year to catalog and warehouse empty cases.

If the manufacturer doesn't send one, the LGS makes arrangements with the NY state police to take the new handgun to a test range, then handgun is fired in their presence, and the empty case retained. Then, the LGS can legally sell the firearm to the consumer, provided they have a permit and a purchase coupon from their county judge.

I think NYS is the only state to require a fired case, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
That is kind of weird. I guess that means if you live in a state that requires it, the manufacturer includes it, but not in the unneeded states. However, we don't have any such requirement in IA, yet my new SR40 came with the casing. It just goes to show that each company is a little different....

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
A fired case is pretty much useless for identification.
However, a fired bullet is of some use because of the grooving from the barrel on older guns.
I would think not so much anymore these days as manufacturing technology could make every barrel identical.

·
Administrator
35,287 Posts
There are oddball places like New York state that require it - and I know when I bought my Ruger LCP it had one, so they probably just stick one in every box instead of keeping separate inventory.

As stated above, don't worry about it. And also as stated, it's a complete waste of time by a state beauracracy to even keep the things. But government employees have to keep busy somehow I guess. ;D

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
Some of this may come from a proposal that I read about a while back that every gun sold would require a spent case that would be used to POSSIBLY identify the gun if it was used in the commision of a crime. It was/is thought that with modern techniques, spaent shell casing can carry almost as much evidentary weight as the bullet itself. Kinda like talking DNA samples from everyone arrested and setting up a database.
The idea of the mfg in including the test round is to prove that the gun fires.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
My RIA 1911 came with a pair of fired cases in the box, but it's the only one that has of my 4 handguns. I think it's more of a showing that the gun works than a requirement meeting measure on the part of the manufacturer. Glad PA doesn't have some stupid fired shell requirement, my taxes are high enough already feeding and housing drug addicts and criminals.

Reactions: Luci

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
A fired case is pretty much useless for identification.
However, a fired bullet is of some use because of the grooving from the barrel on older guns.
I would think not so much anymore these days as manufacturing technology could make every barrel identical.
I believe that both rifling striations and bolt face impressions are as unique as finger prints?
so a particular fired case can be traced to a particular boltface a far as i know.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
36,301 Posts
I think my Bersa, My Ruger, and My Beretta came with a spent case?
I don't recall any of the others having one.
somehow i can see in the year 2510 a huge warehouse surounded with security housing some 3 billion 5 millon 54 thousand and 42 spent cases for guns that have long since been destroyed and being protected at a cost of 5 million dollars a year.
and of course there will still be potholes in all the streets!-LOL

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I've bought a lot of weapons in my time and I've never found any loose brass in the box. While I have no doubt that a spent casing could be traced back to the gun that fired it, collecting them still seems like a pretty stupid thing to do. Sounds more like a Brady hoop to jump through, just to be jumping through it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts