Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first handgun, I love the way it fits. I don't like the sights though, I was shooting at about 7 and 10 yards and it shot really low. The sights have one dot in front and rear and only adjust side to side. Anyone have aftermarket sights they like that corrects this?

I only popped off 50 rounds, and disassembled and cleaned it afterwards. My other question is what parts should I oil? I put a few tiny drops down each track of the slide, few little drops on the moving parts on the slide and frame. I also oiled the pin that holds the barrel. I basically cleaned and reapplied oil to every place that had it. I used pretty minute amounts so it wouldn't drip and attract dust and debris. Any advice for this new guy?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ah the Heinie Straight 8's . The proper sight picture is to put the dots on top of each other so they look like an 8. Then put the upper dot over your intended point of impact. With the straight 8 you do not put the intended point of impact over the top of front sight post. Yes I had the same problem until someone here helped me.

·
32,654 Posts
Could be a number of things including ammo, how the pistol is held with two hands, handgrip, shooting stance, and how your sighting picture looks. Also could be as simple as pulling the pistol down as the trigger is pulled in the DAO mode. All of these can cause the pistol to shoot low. If I am not mistaken the sights are two dots on the back sight and one on the front. On some of the pistols the dots do not shoot to point of aim for some due to the where or how the dots were placed. I have seen a few Taurus PT111s that had the front dot just a fraction of an inch right or left instead of dead center of the front sight. While the dots act as a guide one will still have to use a full site picture and not always rely on the dots. Trying to dead center dots on a massed produced firearm can lead to a few being hundreths of an inch off center. This translates into being off center at varying distances. Having a mentor watch your shooting stance and technique would help to assure that everything is being done right. I have had to do this numerous times and have someone else who was a coach to critique what I was doing. Since every firearm has unique characteristics it may be just a simple change on your part or type of ammo. Different ammo from the many companies will hit a totally different impact points, even if the same maker and bullet weight. Some more experience and experimentation is in order. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

Has anyone tried the Williams Fire Sights?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Check out the "smithing" section of the forum where there are several discussions about sights. At present there are no "perfect fit" sights, but with a very little work you can fit just about what ever you would like to your Taurus. I've ordered a HiViz fiber optic front which will be low enough to move the POI up nicely.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had similar problems with the Straight 8 sights. Heavier bullet weights seem to have helped, as well as practice, practice, practice.

In response to the rest of your question, "This site" seems to be what you're looking for.

Good luck, good shooting, and welcome to the Forums!

Blessings,
M

·
Registered
37 Posts
It would be a good thing to shoot any new pistol off a rest to see where it hits on a firm rest. If its not low on the rest then its the shooter that needs to adjust in some area. I guess I believe in rifle or pistol ya dont sight em in swinging free hand. I would like anyone who shoots a milpro111 and has never shot off a good solid rest to try it. Not resting shoulder on wall but setting pistol firmly on a pistol reast. Most ranges have them for your use. If your pt doesnt hit differently let me know ok ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts