Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
23,197 Posts
You've proven your way of handling things works, and no one even got hurt, but that doesn't matter. In fact, we resent it. You are therefore fired.

Idiots.

·
Super Moderator
14,007 Posts
I think better employers are looking to find him.

Reactions: pegasus and Stroker

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think better employers are looking to find him.
Maybe, but I doubt many stores encourage you to confront a robber in any way. Unfortunately the prevailing wisdom in a store, bank, or whatever is to hand him the money and move on with your life. I worked with a guy who got fired for a lot less. He saw a a guy go out the door with something valuable and chased him out. Didn't have any weapon, didn't fight with him, just chased him down and confronted him. The store policy was to alert security and let them deal with it, so they fired him.

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
Trained to de-escalate... huh…

1. Seems to me the clerk successfully de-escalated the situation.
  2. If the clerk had somewhere to back up, maybe he should have let the crook have the till. It was the boss's money… the boss that fired him.

Moral of the story: learn where the CCTV cameras cover and back out of range before you draw.

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
I'm also better the clerk's phone is blow up from lawyers for wrongful termination suits all filled out.

·
Super Moderator
20,082 Posts
You call THAT a hatchet? Looks like a souvenir you buy at a museum or something! My EDC folding knife is larger than that little “hatchet”.

Reactions: darbo and mingaa

·
23,197 Posts
I'm also better the clerk's phone is blow up from lawyers for wrongful termination suits all filled out.
I hope you're right, but probably not if there's anything in company policy about not having guns at work.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
I hope you're right, but probably not if there's anything in company policy about not having guns at work.
Employment at a convenience store ranks as the job with the highest change of armed robbery. that would then make it incumbent on the employer to provide adequate security. failure to do so coupled with denying an employee the lawful right of self protection would be more than enough to win a lawsuit. Seeing as the thug wasn't a lumberjack and there's no trees in that store, I'd be pretty confident that the hatchet posed a real and present danger to the employee who was readily accessible.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
The guy has his life and can hunt a new job. He knew the corporate policy (that most likely originated from the insurance company and the corporate lawyers worrying about possible liability) and decided to ignore it.

That's not a judgement of whether or not either side is wrong, it's a statement of the facts.

Of course, the company just announced itself to be an easy mark to all the robbers in the area AND irritated the local pro 2nd Amendment crowd- who will most likely decide to carry their guns and money elsewhere. Irritating large portions of your customer base isn't a successful business model any more than making the criminal element aware that you are an easy mark is.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
The guy has his life and can hunt a new job. He knew the corporate policy (that most likely originated from the insurance company and the corporate lawyers worrying about possible liability) and decided to ignore it.

That's not a judgement of whether or not either side is wrong, it's a statement of the facts.

Of course, the company just announced itself to be an easy mark to all the robbers in the area AND irritated the local pro 2nd Amendment crowd- who will most likely decide to carry their guns and money elsewhere. Irritating large portions of your customer base isn't a successful business model any more than making the criminal element aware that you are an easy mark is.
No, those aren't the facts. we can assume he knew the company policy regarding firearms but it hasn't been specifically stated whether he did or not. We also do not know whether the company policies violated Federal state or municipal laws. All of those details will need to be determined "post mortem".

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Employment at a convenience store ranks as the job with the highest change of armed robbery. that would then make it incumbent on the employer to provide adequate security. failure to do so coupled with denying an employee the lawful right of self protection would be more than enough to win a lawsuit. Seeing as the thug wasn't a lumberjack and there's no trees in that store, I'd be pretty confident that the hatchet posed a real and present danger to the employee who was readily accessible.
That has always been a big point of contention for me. If someone is going to take away my right to protect myself does that mean they will provide adequate protection for me? Are they liable for my safety?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Most buisneses would rather see their employees get murdered by a criminal than have to pay $ to the dirt bag criminal's family after an employee tries to defend them selves and from getting killed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts