Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Magnum Research has the BFR in 45-70...and a selling point is a low pressure, high velocity revolver round! Go to their site!

Taurus would hit a home run, I believe, with a Ragin Bull in 45-70! Heck, they ALREADY MAKE A RAGING JUDGE!

Who else would like to see Taurus poduce a 45-70 revolver, perhaps a 5 shot with unfluted cylinder with the Taurus bull laser engraved on it?

If Taurus had email addy's available for the execs, I would pitch the heck out of this great idea!

Anyone else as rabid about this concept as I am?

They could call it "Gov't Bull!"

This would compliment me and lots o' other folks with Guide Guns of the same caliber! :D

The time for the Gov't Bull has come! :)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Imagine the Second Amendment promoting and political fun that could be had with a gun called "Gov't Bull!"
I thought the same thing about the political jokes that could fly with this one!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've shot the BFR in 45-70. Hefty recoil but totally manageable .

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
A .45-70 revolver?

Why not; you never know where Sasquatch will pop up. ;)
Great point! :D

Also, the dinosaurs may come back onto the scene.:r_c::icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Have owned the BFR 45/70 for years. The guy that builds them was very helpful with load data when I bought it. Told me he also makes a 450 cylinder for it if I would send it to him for fitting. Price was reasonable but after shooting his loads was content with the 45/70. I own and have owned several of the Raging series of guns. You need at least 10" of barrel to burn powder, so you are looking at a gun the size of a BFR or X frame Smith. A Taurus with their grips and ported barrel would probably be easier to handle. Cylinder needs to be long enough to take the long cast bullet loads. Rated for at least 405 grain lever action loads. Do a heavy crimp to get good ignition, unlike a rifle the 45/70 in a revolver needs more ignition in the case. The BFR is easier on the hand than my Contender in 45/70 and it has TC's 14" ported barrel.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My friend bought his for hog hunting. Had a red dot sight mounted on it. Pretty cool gun.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't think a swing-out cylinder would be strong enough for 45-70...........the reason being is people would "hot rod" the round and be shooting guns loose. Even the BFR is recommended for "mid range" 45-70, not the hot stuff made for modern lever guns like the Marlin.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Chamber pressure on the Smith X frame guns are higher than 45/70 loads that are listed for Ruger number rifles. They use a swing out cylinder. When I bought my BFR in 45/70 the gentleman that builds them for Magnum Research gave me a list of loads for the gun and they were above lever loads. He also said he would build a 450 Marlin cylinder for it if I did not like the 45/70 loads. I do not shoot the BFR loads in my Contender, and did not have a 450 Marlin cylinder built. I have shot model 29 Smiths loose over the years but the BFR is still tight. Taurus Raging series cylinders with front and rear lock are strong enough to handle the 500 Smith and 454 rounds. My Raging Bull is one of their older guns and after all these years it is still tight. Taurus builds better guns than they get credit for. I would not be afraid of a Raging 45/70 with lever loads and 405 grain bullets if they said it was rated for it. Would be lower chamber pressure than the 454 or 500. I respect the doubts because of all the bad press Taurus has had, but trust their guns from personal use instead of press good or bad.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
That would look even more like a cartoon seeing that thing coming out of a box, even worse to see it pulled at the range. But that would be one glorious BANG! on that first shot. You might notice the muzzle flash when you locate the shooter, which might happen by the third shot. Lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chamber pressure on the Smith X frame guns are higher than 45/70 loads that are listed for Ruger number rifles. They use a swing out cylinder. When I bought my BFR in 45/70 the gentleman that builds them for Magnum Research gave me a list of loads for the gun and they were above lever loads. He also said he would build a 450 Marlin cylinder for it if I did not like the 45/70 loads. I do not shoot the BFR loads in my Contender, and did not have a 450 Marlin cylinder built. I have shot model 29 Smiths loose over the years but the BFR is still tight. Taurus Raging series cylinders with front and rear lock are strong enough to handle the 500 Smith and 454 rounds. My Raging Bull is one of their older guns and after all these years it is still tight. Taurus builds better guns than they get credit for. I would not be afraid of a Raging 45/70 with lever loads and 405 grain bullets if they said it was rated for it. Would be lower chamber pressure than the 454 or 500. I respect the doubts because of all the bad press Taurus has had, but trust their guns from personal use instead of press good or bad.
I agree, and that is like the BFR website said: pressure would not be an issue.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Keep pushing, I like the 45/70 better in a revolver than the 460 or 500 Smith. Who knows you may get their attention. I have a friend that would be crazy enough to order and stock one until I could get by and pick it up.LOL

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I used to Hand load the 45/70 & owned a half dozen or so rifles chambered in the old war horse... the 45/70 operates at much lower pressures than the 454 and 500 S&W , it can handle heavy long bullets..

Taurus has the frame and the cylinder....go for it....I say..

45/70 Government is the only Government I trust !!!!! That was my signature for a few years....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Taurus does listen to it's customers...so let's keep suggesting this or, heck, better yet, let's write letters to the CEO...I bet the "Gov't Bull" would be a HUGE success!

Once again: C'mon, Taurus!!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Please no. The guy with the BFR that shows up on the 7 yard range where I shoot clears the line when he touches off his first shot. A tough gun to shoot? just try standing to the side of somebody shooting one.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
45/70 in a handgun.... i would be running from the firing line after the first shot. I'm waiting for that guy to leave before i go back to shoot, because that's beyond ridiculous. Don't they already consider the Raging series cartoon guns because of the sheer size? A 45/70 is almost to the point of overkill IMO.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts