Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out the backstraps on my Spr XDm to the medium size.

ordered new mags from Ruger for my MkII.

Took the MkII down for cleaning and lubing. As always, it came apart in 10 minutes but took an hour and 10 minutes to get it back together

Brushed out the barrel with some HOPPES but the lube - not #9. The gun comes apart in 3 pieces: the mainspring grip assembly, the bolt and the frame and barrel. I wiped down and lubed very heavily to all surfaces - interior and exterior. I did take a file and opened the grip space where the bolt/mainspring assembly goes in so I didn’t have to use the rubber mallet to tap the assembly back in.

my extra 2 mags for my P320 357 SIG came too.

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also got into my “misfit” holster collection and adjusted them so that they now “also fit” guns which currently have their own holsters. Nice to have extras of differing brands for any given gun and I now have No holster that won’t work for at least one gun.

Reactions: darbo

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,022 Posts
Obviously you need more holsters!
:D

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
A couple months ago I finally got the PX4 sub-compact I had been wanting. Since that time it has been my EDC even at work ( no one told me I couldn't)! Well I decided it was time to get it out of the leather IWB holster and give it a check up and cleaning.

Wow I could not believe my eyes! The amount of lint that was on and in the gun was shocking! The scariest part was the take down lever was covered with rust! Now keep in mind I work in a open air warehouse so there is plenty of heat, humidity and sweat going on.

I cleaned up the rust as best as I could and before putting the pistol back in the holster I covered the take down lever with oil and then applied some oil inside the holster at the contact point with the take down lever. I have a feeling I'll be needing to buy another take down lever if Beretta sells them.

Moral of these stories? Do your gun maintenance! At least this Beretta is a lot easier to put back together!

·
Super Moderator
40,554 Posts
A couple months ago I finally got the PX4 sub-compact I had been wanting. Since that time it has been my EDC even at work ( no one told me I couldn't)! Well I decided it was time to get it out of the leather IWB holster and give it a check up and cleaning.

Wow I could not believe my eyes! The amount of lint that was on and in the gun was shocking! The scariest part was the take down lever was covered with rust! Now keep in mind I work in a open air warehouse so there is plenty of heat, humidity and sweat going on.

I cleaned up the rust as best as I could and before putting the pistol back in the holster I covered the take down lever with oil and then applied some oil inside the holster at the contact point with the take down lever. I have a feeling I'll be needing to buy another take down lever if Beretta sells them.

Moral of these stories? Do your gun maintenance! At least this Beretta is a lot easier to put back together!
Next time you wait a little to long to clean your carry gun (or wait a long time on purpose) take it to the range in that lint covered condition to see if it functions properly. I am happy to say the two guns I purposely did that with both functioned fine after 6 months of daily carry and no cleaning.

·
Administrator
39,924 Posts
Next time you wait a little to long to clean your carry gun (or wait a long time on purpose) take it to the range in that lint covered condition to see if it functions properly. I am happy to say the two guns I purposely did that with both functioned fine after 6 months of daily carry and no cleaning.
I never clean a carry gun before shooting it at the range for this very reason. Then you can be pretty sure it will function at that unexpected moment. Geeze, I’ve even seen folks oil up the gun at the range before starting their shoot.

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and in addition to the above, I cleaned out my gun safe of old junk which seems to accumulate there. This also helps me identify what I’m running low on by taking everything out and restocking. Currently, I have 2 shelves full of nothing but 40 S&W which I don’t shoot. So, guess what my range sessions are gonna be with early this fall? PI have a ton of 357 SIG which I usually shoot in my converted Glocks but have reset my G22 back to 40. Also, my PT140 still shoots fine.

·
Registered
36,474 Posts
I never clean a carry gun before shooting it at the range for this very reason. Then you can be pretty sure it will function at that unexpected moment. Geeze, I’ve even seen folks oil up the gun at the range before starting their shoot.

OR you can just buy and carry a CZ and you don't have to worry at all about these issues!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
36,474 Posts
I like all the dust bunies that get in the firing pin/ hammer area on a 1911 when you carry it cocked and locked, especailly if you have a lil 1911 wanna be like the Sig 238/938, Kimber Micro or Springfiled Armory 911 that you pocket carry.
although the sig 238 always fired .

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Good plan and I will do that next time.

·
8,671 Posts
SOunds like a good evening. I spend 2-3 hours most evenings finding some gun thing to do in my shop. Fixing/tuning or reloading.

·
Super Moderator
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today’s project was my old Ithaca M49 22 cal. I got it sometime in the late ‘60s, making it over 50 years old but haven’t shot it in over 40 years! It has a little rust on the rear sight which didn’t all come off. A good bit of pitting on both sides of the receiver (made of aluminum) noted but otherwise fairly clean. I brushed and swabbed the barrel with some Hoppes # 9 as well as deep crevices and crannies I ever knew it had. The barrel was shiny, well defined rifling groves and, most importantly, NO PITTING THERE!

I tried a serial # lookup for an approximate birthdate but, no luck. These were the Sears & Roebuck version of the “Roy Rogers” saddle Carbine turned out by the thousands from the early ‘60s - mid ‘70s.

5CF9FDFA-4F1C-47AD-8D0E-8025E60498BC.jpeg
C3F0500A-3CB9-41B9-9B1C-D3F0E31C9660.jpeg
B1B7D964-D390-4743-A750-354094334629.jpeg
C840F63C-EB70-4653-A335-BD8740BAF7D7.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts