Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an insurance policy specifically to cover their firearms?

Some may or may not know that home owners and auto insurance may not cover firearms or may only have limited coverage.

I want to look into getting some additional coverage and was looking for input from those that already have it.

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I don't have a separate ryder but I did up the amount of coverage for contents in the home. Most of the time it cost less to go that route provided your insurance co. doesn't have a list of items not covered such as firearms. I checked with my insurance agent, he told me really doesn't matter what the contents are in case of fire,water,disaster or theft. In the case of theft need police report with total loss.

·
Supporting Moderator
14,822 Posts
CFE797CE-3F16-4E29-8373-49660C461FA5.jpeg

My firearm insurance, in the basement, lagged to the floor, placed in a corner to prevent prying on the side opposite the hinges. Just shy of 900 lbs. empty, which it is not.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
For self-defense insurance I use USCCA (www.usconcealedcarry.com), and I highly recommend it. It may be a little more expensive than others, but I think their service is well worth it. They offer three levels of insurance: Gold, Platinum, and Elite. In addition, all three plans include Critical Response Team assistance 24/7/365, Attorney reference and coordination, Psychological support/counseling, and subscription to Concealed Carry Magazine. Their website has lots of other reference material, training videos,and links to additional training material. The magazine is outstanding, and once you're a member you can download any of their past issues for free. Here are the plans:

Gold– Which provides $600,000 self-defense protection: $5,000/50,000 for bail bond funding, $100,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $500,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $350/day compensation while in court. Cost: $247/yr.

Platinum–Which provides $1,150,000 self-defense protection: $25,000/250,000 for bail bond funding, $150,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $1,000,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $500/day compensation while in court. Cost: $347/yr.

Elite–Which provides $2,250,000 self-defense protection: $50,000/500,000 for bail bond funding, $250,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $2,000,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $750/day compensation while in court. Cost: $497/year

I have the Platinum plan. For me, the critical item was the civil suit defense/damages funding. Lots of other insurance plans provide for criminal defense, but for civil lawsuits you're on your own. With our litigious society, lawsuits are all too common, and this insurance covers both legal fees AND any damages awarded!

If I only have one phone call, it's going to be to the USCCA Critical Response Team. A call to them, anytime day or night, will get the ball rolling. They will arrange bail and contact your attorney. Don't have an attorney? They have a list of attorneys in your area that are experienced in self-defense law.

Also, don't rely on your homeowner's insurance, even if they say they cover you for self-defense. Usually they will only pay for attorney fees AFTER you are found Not Guilty. You have to pay all expenses up-front, and then try to get reimbursed after the verdict is in. And if you are found guilty of anything (murder, manslaughter, negligence, etc.), you may get nothing, even though it was your lawyer that convinced you to accept a lesser charge. The rules are different for each state, and each insurance company.

Many times whether you are found guilty or not guilty depends on:
1. Do you have a lawyer?
2. Is he a good lawyer?
3. Is he experienced in self-defense law?
4. Do you have the resources to hire a private investigator to search out details?
5. Do you have the resources to bring in "Expert witnesses" to testify on your behalf?
6. Do you have the resources to search firearm and self-defense case law throughout the country to use in your defense?
7. Do you have the resources to search firearms data that would aid in your defense?

These things are crucial, and an organization like USCCA can provide them.
Also, do they cover you for retrials, or appeals. Some only
cover you for one trial. That's it!
And no, I am not a company spokesman; just a happy customer.

My advice: Go with the USCCA. Check out their website; I think you'll like it.
Another good self-defense insurance you might check out is CCW Safe.
This insurance is endorsed by attorney Andrew Branca,who wrote the book "The Law of Self Defense", and has a website with the same name..

Whatever you choose, I recommend you get self-defense insurance.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Be advised that most policies will not pay out unless you have a full description of the guns with serial number, and, in some cases, proof of purchase.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
For self-defense insurance I use USCCA (www.usconcealedcarry.com), and I highly recommend it. It may be a little more expensive than others, but I think their service is well worth it. They offer three levels of insurance: Gold, Platinum, and Elite. In addition, all three plans include Critical Response Team assistance 24/7/365, Attorney reference and coordination, Psychological support/counseling, and subscription to Concealed Carry Magazine. Their website has lots of other reference material, training videos,and links to additional training material. The magazine is outstanding, and once you're a member you can download any of their past issues for free. Here are the plans:

Gold– Which provides $600,000 self-defense protection: $5,000/50,000 for bail bond funding, $100,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $500,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $350/day compensation while in court. Cost: $247/yr.

Platinum–Which provides $1,150,000 self-defense protection: $25,000/250,000 for bail bond funding, $150,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $1,000,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $500/day compensation while in court. Cost: $347/yr.

Elite–Which provides $2,250,000 self-defense protection: $50,000/500,000 for bail bond funding, $250,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $2,000,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $750/day compensation while in court. Cost: $497/year

I have the Platinum plan. For me, the critical item was the civil suit defense/damages funding. Lots of other insurance plans provide for criminal defense, but for civil lawsuits you're on your own. With our litigious society, lawsuits are all too common, and this insurance covers both legal fees AND any damages awarded!

If I only have one phone call, it's going to be to the USCCA Critical Response Team. A call to them, anytime day or night, will get the ball rolling. They will arrange bail and contact your attorney. Don't have an attorney? They have a list of attorneys in your area that are experienced in self-defense law.

Also, don't rely on your homeowner's insurance, even if they say they cover you for self-defense. Usually they will only pay for attorney fees AFTER you are found Not Guilty. You have to pay all expenses up-front, and then try to get reimbursed after the verdict is in. And if you are found guilty of anything (murder, manslaughter, negligence, etc.), you may get nothing, even though it was your lawyer that convinced you to accept a lesser charge. The rules are different for each state, and each insurance company.

Many times whether you are found guilty or not guilty depends on:
1. Do you have a lawyer?
2. Is he a good lawyer?
3. Is he experienced in self-defense law?
4. Do you have the resources to hire a private investigator to search out details?
5. Do you have the resources to bring in "Expert witnesses" to testify on your behalf?
6. Do you have the resources to search firearm and self-defense case law throughout the country to use in your defense?
7. Do you have the resources to search firearms data that would aid in your defense?

These things are crucial, and an organization like USCCA can provide them.
Also, do they cover you for retrials, or appeals. Some only
cover you for one trial. That's it!
And no, I am not a company spokesman; just a happy customer.

My advice: Go with the USCCA. Check out their website; I think you'll like it.
Another good self-defense insurance you might check out is CCW Safe.
This insurance is endorsed by attorney Andrew Branca,who wrote the book "The Law of Self Defense", and has a website with the same name..

Whatever you choose, I recommend you get self-defense insurance.

He is looking for fire arm insurance, not self defense insurance. He clearly stated that in his 1st post.

Don

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Paul, I have the maximum amount of firearm insurance that I can get through my home owners. They offer me a separate rider to cover my fire arms but the cost is astronomical. For my collection (ok, so it's a good size collection) the monthly cost would be almost $2000 a month for firearm coverage. More than I can afford.

Don

·
Super Moderator
40,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
35,115 Posts
Giving a detailed inventory of my guns, including serial numbers, has always discouraged me from this type of insurance.

·
Super Moderator
40,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paul, I have the maximum amount of firearm insurance that I can get through my home owners. They offer me a separate rider to cover my fire arms but the cost is astronomical. For my collection (ok, so it's a good size collection) the monthly cost would be almost $2000 a month for firearm coverage. More than I can afford.

Don
Don you may want to look at this company. I have requested more information from them. Price seems reasonable at a quick glance.

·
Super Moderator
40,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Giving a detailed inventory of my guns, including serial numbers, has always discouraged me from this type of insurance.
I see some companies want it and some don't, except for individual guns over a certain value like $2,500. So far I don't own any over that value.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Personally I think the best insurance is a good safe lagged to the floor. Most robbery's are somebody looking for things they can grab and sell. They have to pay for their drugs some how. Of course working is not an option.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts