Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just called and told me that UPS delivered my Williams Fire Sights today. I have already broke the set screws loose (on the night I ordered them). Once I get the screws out how does the sights come out? What direction do they have to slide out or does it matter? How do I know when they are lined up correctly? Any other things I need to know about installing them? Thanks for any help. Wayne

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Slide to the RIGHT

My wife just called and told me that UPS delivered my Williams Fire Sights today. I have already broke the set screws loose (on the night I ordered them). Once I get the screws out how does the sights come out? What direction do they have to slide out or does it matter? How do I know when they are lined up correctly? Any other things I need to know about installing them? Thanks for any help. Wayne
Remove the original sights by sliding then to the RIGHT (as seen from the rear of the pistol)

As far as lining them up, unless you have fancy equipment, a Mark I Eyeball often works OK.

On warning discussed in several other threads here; if you received the HIGH front sight, you may find that it is too tall for many fitted holsters, and make you hit low. Many of us used a HiViz as a front sight.

Firesight6-Height.jpg

PT145-Firesight-HiViz1.jpg
Williams Rear - HiViz front

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't seen them yet since I'm at work till 0600 then have class until noon. Is there different front sights from Williams. I had thought about the HiViz front also. I just figured I would try these out first to see how I like them. I also have a Crimson Trace laser on order if it ever comes in. Has anyone ever just used the rear sight. I just don't like the straight 8's. I got 1500 rounds of ammo the other day :yipee:so I guess I'll get it figured out.
Should I put loctite on the screws when I put them back on? I have some blue and red around the house.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I haven't seen them yet since I'm at work till 0600 then have class until noon. Is there different front sights from Williams. I had thought about the HiViz front also. I just figured I would try these out first to see how I like them. I also have a Crimson Trace laser on order if it ever comes in. Has anyone ever just used the rear sight. I just don't like the straight 8's. I got 1500 rounds of ammo the other day :yipee:so I guess I'll get it figured out.
Should I put loctite on the screws when I put them back on? I have some blue and red around the house.
Did you buy the adjustable sights or non adjustable? I ask because I got the static sights and the front sight was the same size as the original Heinie. I bought model #70897.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Do NOT Loctite them unless they are loose and easily shift. You may need to slightly and CAREFULLY drift them minutely to sight them in properly. Did you get the FIXED or ADJUSTABLE set? Adjustable gives you a little more leeway than fixed.

If you do Loctite them, use the BLUE because if you ever want to better adjust them later it is possible. Loctite RED is much more difficult to readjust later if necessary.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you buy the adjustable sights or non adjustable? I ask because I got the static sights and the front sight was the same size as the original Heinie. I bought model #70897.
I got the 70897. So maybe mine will be the same height. I have a holster picked out but just waiting to measure the front sight to make sure it fits.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I got the 70897. So maybe mine will be the same height. I have a holster picked out but just waiting to measure the front sight to make sure it fits.
Here is a picture showing the Heine sight in front and the installed Fire Sight behind it.

FS.JPG

·
Registered
40 Posts
I installed Fire sights on my Pt111. First thing to know is that the front and back has 2 different size socket head set screws....and doesn't come with the wrenches. I had one allen wrench for the back but the front is a very small .05. I had to drive 3 miles to the local Ace Hardware for a 16 cent .05 allen wrench. Secondly, my Fire sights would not fit into the dovetails. I laid down a sheet of 1000 grit wet & dry sand paper on a table and ran the bottom of the sights on it until I could get the sights started into the dovetail. I used a wooden chop stick and a small hammer to tap them approximately in place. I then used my 9mm bore laser to help get them aligned. I did the fine tuning at the range. I know one thing....they are not going anywhere as tight as they are.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Your front Firesight is about 1/2 the height of the that came with my set. i wonder if Williams found the error in its ways.
I know we've exchanged several comments and ideas on this. Were your sights model #70897?

If so then perhaps Williams did change their design before I bought mine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm looking at the williams fire sight page, the adjustable ones are $20.00 more than the none, I think I do want to get a different sight for my pt140, are there other options anyone else has used? Suggestions? I don't mind the cost, I just want to hit what I am aiming at.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
70896 Adjustable model
Sounds like they need to re-design the front sights for that particular product then. ;)

And I just lucked out with buying the other model with the lower fronts. I was only looking at price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the 70897 Non-adjustable sights for mine and they are now installed. They look like the ones in the picture above and are shorter than my original sights. Sight picture is a lot better but I'm still shooting to the left. (About 5" at 10 yards) Can I move the rear sight to compensate for this? It was about 8" off prior to the sight installtion. If I can which way do I move it to the right or to the left and do I move the rear or the front or both. I took it to the gun local gun shop and he picked it up and looked at it and said it looked pretty good and straight.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I got the 70897 Non-adjustable sights for mine and they are now installed. They look like the ones in the picture above and are shorter than my original sights. Sight picture is a lot better but I'm still shooting to the left. (About 5" at 10 yards) Can I move the rear sight to compensate for this? It was about 8" off prior to the sight installtion. If I can which way do I move it to the right or to the left and do I move the rear or the front or both. I took it to the gun local gun shop and he picked it up and looked at it and said it looked pretty good and straight.
Move the rear sight the same direction you want to the rounds to impact; in your case move it slightly to the right. It shouldn't take much adjustment.

And yes you can move the front sight also but I would concentrate on the rear sight for now.

If you do move the front sight it will be the opposite direction of the rear sight. In other words if you want the impact to move to the right you move the front sight to the left.

Have I confused you yet??? LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Move the rear sight the same direction you want to the rounds to impact; in your case move it slightly to the right. It shouldn't take much adjustment.

And yes you can move the front sight also but I would concentrate on the rear sight for now.

If you do move the front sight it will be the opposite direction of the rear sight. In other words if you want the impact to move to the right you move the front sight to the left.

Have I confused you yet??? LOL

Ok I'll give it a try. Got a busy few days ahead of me so maybe sometime next week. Thanks for ALL the help with this. It was alot easier with everyones help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well I just ordered the adjustable ones. I hope they come with installation instructions.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I have sets on two guns here. Easy to mount and adjust. Just clean out the dovetails and they'll tap into place. Tighten the allen screws and you're done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts