Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the ammo shortages and being low on 45 Colt cartridges I had to go out of my comfort zone and buy some ammunition I've never bought before.
Has anyone used Fiocchi ammo?

· Registered
1,747 Posts
They are a popular brand. They have a pretty good chunk of the shotshell market and rimfire as well. I know their ammo gets re-branded at times, (Gander Mountain) and I've used some of the offerings. So far, I've got no issues but there is nothing remarkable about the brand. Average price, average quality.

· Administrator
42,841 Posts
I've used some Fiocchi, but not much. No issues with it at all. If you shoot the .45Colt cartridges often, you'd do well to invest in reloading equipment. That way you won't feel bad using up 2 or 3 hundred rounds in a session! :thumb:

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

· Registered
6,743 Posts
Fiocchi is top notch stuff for the most part.

· Registered
20,098 Posts
Fiocchi is good stuff. It tends to run on the hot side - fine with me bc much of my remaining stock is 9 & 40 SD rounds. I had a few FTFs with my 709 but that is the only issue in memory and it was early in the life of the gun. Could have been break in woes.

· Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
I've never ran any of that particular brand through any of my firearms, but would definitely buy it in this day of severe ammo availability.

· Registered
5,767 Posts
I have 9mm, .45 and .223 Fiocchi. I've had no problems with any of it. Matter of fact, I ran about 100 rounds of 9mm on Thursday. Fairly clean, consistent, no FTF's, FTE's. I ran it through a Springfield XD9.

I hunted some groundhog with the 62gr hollow point (I think it was 62) last year. Ran hot straight and true. Screwed up some whistle pig weekends.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

· Registered
20,098 Posts
The Fiocchi empire began improbably with a bit of a splutter, born of a predecessor’s failure and a bank foreclosure. In the early 1800s Fiocchi family ancestors lived around Bologna, a thriving commercial and industrial center. Two of the men followed Napoleon’s army in his Italian campaign and took up residence in Milan. One of them, Giulio Fiocchi, became a bank manager and was fatefully assigned to oversee a loan made to a manufacturer of black powder and muskets in Lecco, a small city northeast of Milan located at the southern tip of the eastern prong of Lake Como.

Fiocchi of America

In partnership with Smith & Wesson, the Fiocchi family had a factory in Alton, Illinois in the 1950’s. Diverging company interests caused Fiocchi to sell its share to S & W and withdraw from the American market. Great grandson Carlo Fiocchi joined the family business in 1980 at the age of 24 and worked as a product manager in charge of the English speaking market, his assignment no doubt influenced by the fact that his grandmother was British. His responsibilities included overseeing its meager exports to the United States.
Carlo traveled to the United States on his honeymoon but all was not champagne and moonlit strolls. He was instructed to bring back marketing research for a US facility. Carlo concluded that opportunities could not be exploited unless Fiocchi had a physical presence. In 1983, a FOA facility was built in Springfield, Missouri, to import ammunition, the location selected because of his father’s existing contacts there and that it offered the most favorable rail and trucking costs.
After a year and a half they realized that importing loaded ammunition was not an effective business model. The company couldn’t react fast enough to the needs of the US shooters. Carlo returned to Italy and convinced the president, Paolo, to build a manufacturing plant on a farm he identified in the Ozarks near Springfield. In a grand cosmic manner, history repeated itself, for the farmer was defaulting on property loans. Fiocchi negotiated a purchase with the farmer and loans with the bank. Providing a platform for quality manufacturing jobs, the Fiocchi enterprise was enthusiastically welcomed by the local government.
Carlo received substantial assistance from his mentor, Bob Oxsen. They started the company in 1984 but Fiocchi Munizioni requested that Carlo return to Italy to work in its sales and marketing department. He remained in Italy until 1996, then left to create his own consulting firm in the United States. During the next decade Carlo worked in an array of ammunition, optics and shotgun importing businesses. As the third generation Fiocchi family passed control to the fourth, Carlo’s cousins Stefano, and Pietro, who became President of Fiocchi of America, persuaded him to return to the Fiocchi fold. The minimal sales of FOA and its marginal market share evoked contemplation of dissolving the US division, reminiscent of the choice facing the Fiocchi family after WW II .

Never theless, in 2005, Pietro, Carlo and Donna Swafford, Chief Operations Manager, boldly attempted to revitalize company in April 2005. Due in large measure to their acumen, since then FOA sales have increased 500%. The US subsidiary imports empty primed hulls from Fiocchi Munizioni and wads from Italy, produced mainly by Baschieri & Pellagri and Gualandi in Bologna, a world capital of machine shop engineering, home to Ferraris and Lamborghinis and the ancestral home of the Fiocchi family.

Gun powder is from U.S.A. sources.

· Registered
5,456 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to use Fiocchi. I've used 9mm, .38 Super a lot.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the great responses, y'all make me sorry I didn't buy more, it's gone now.

I'm saving all my brass and plan on reloading when all this silliness passes.

· Registered
38,457 Posts
Gosh I have used it in 380, 9MM, 38 Super, 45 acp and never had anything except very good results from it.
I use the Fiocchi 92 grian EMB as a defense load in all my 9MM and use the Extrema XTP 380 in many of my smaller hand guns as self defense ammo as well.
shoots flawlessly and accurate, and the brass so far seems to be very good for reloading as well.
I think all my 38 Super brass is likely Fiocchi.
you are not buying down by getting fiocchi at all.

· Registered
5,072 Posts
I'm with the folks on this one...Fiocchi runs fast, reliable and sells for a good price. Enjoy the ammo and after you shoot, go get a pizza.

· Registered
85 Posts
I have but not in 45 acp,32acp and 9x18 or mak.
It tends to be hot but they do make mild versions as well,very good ammo either fiocchi or sellier and belliot.
I have mostly euro pistols therefore use euro ammo,32 acp fiocchi 65 grain jhp-205 fpe is not something one places in a P32,requires steel.
I loved my wee Pt22,wish handle tad thinner sold it now wishing I still had a tip up barrel for pocket carry only a 32 acp,but they do not make one just beretta and it is even fatter.

· Registered
7,572 Posts
I've used Fiocchi® ammunition for more years than I can remember. Fiocchi® is very high quality while being relatively inexpensive. While I haven't used their rifle ammo; I buy & shoot Fiocchi® ammunition in my shotguns and handguns. I highly recommend Fiocchi® ammunition!

· Registered
676 Posts
I just shot a 50 box of 9mm 124gr. FMJ Fiocchi at the range. Worked perfectly. Price was about the same as others. Ok, to be honest the 2 boxes of Fiocchi 9mm were all I could find. However, I had no issues with it and IF I can find it again, I'll have no issues buying more. It might even work its was to my "ammo of choice." I'd still like to find some Fiocchi JHP or HP.

· Registered
38,457 Posts
I just shot a 50 box of 9mm 124gr. FMJ Fiocchi at the range. Worked perfectly. Price was about the same as others. Ok, to be honest the 2 boxes of Fiocchi 9mm were all I could find. However, I had no issues with it and IF I can find it again, I'll have no issues buying more. It might even work its was to my "ammo of choice." I'd still like to find some Fiocchi JHP or HP.
just a head up IF you are thinking of trying the Fiocchi JHP's!
they make 2 distinct different lines of self protection rounds.
The older hollow point design, and the newer design (many of which use Hornady XTP projectiles).
the better/more modern projectiles are found under the "Extrema " banner, i believe all Extrema are USA made, but they are easily identified by the Extrema name and they generally run a couple dollars more per box of 50.
Good stuff and at a reasonable price.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.