Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my LCP Max to the range today for break in. 200 or so rounds using a 10 round and 12 round magazine. I had some hollow point and FMJ handloads and 100 rounds of 95 gr. Fiocchi factory FMJ ammo. I started out with the hollow points, because I figured they would be the most problematic rounds. Hollow points, then Fiocchi, FMJ, then Fiocchi. Long story short, I won't be buying any more of that brand of ammo. I had constant failures to feed and trouble getting the pistol to go into battery. Reloads were perfect, factory was not.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
This isn't the first time that I've read a report like this. If memory serves me right, it has something to do with the differences between firearms or ammunition in the United States and Europe.

Apparently, Fiocchi works flawlessly in practically an imported European Pistol, but in American-Made Pistols, including domestically produced European Pistol designs, it just doesn't function reliably.

I can't recall the exact details though, as I read this years ago while I was asking around for suggestions on what .380 ACP ammo I should buy for my Walther PPK/S, and a number of folks told me not to buy Fiocchi because my PPK/S was a domestically produced model manufactured under license by Smith & Wesson.
If memory serves me right, it has something to do with the differences between C.I.P. ammo specifications and SAAMI specifications, but I think that there may have been something to do with how the dimensions of chambers are measured in the EU as well as their standards of what are considered acceptable tolerances.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Good information. I have a few boxes stashed somewhere. I will pay special attention if they end up in my range bag.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've had 0 issues with Fiocchi ammo, it's one of my favored brands. Their 380 has run just fine in my Ruger LCP and Bersa Thunder 380.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Fiocchi brass has a thicker rim than other ammo brands. Some pistols don't have the extractor to breech face clearance to feed properly with the thicker rim. About half of my 380 pistols have feed problems using it and why I separate out the Fiocchi brass and won't reload it.

Cosmetics Fluid Amber Gas Font

1 - 9 of 9 Posts