Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any of y'all ever own one of these? I had a chance to handle one yesterday. Well, actually a replica version of one made by a company in Kentucky. It's a WWII battle rifle used by Finland. It's a 9mm rifle with a 36 round stick magazine and an optional 71 round drum magazine. The thing that surprised me was how heavy this rifle is. I didn't put it on a scale, but it felt like it weighs about 25 pounds, empty. It would have sucked to have to lug one of these things around on the battle field! It's about the same length as an M-16.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I got to shoot one a few years ago and I don't remember it being that heavy. I just looked up on Wikipedia and it lists the original as 10.14 pounds. I would think with a fully loaded drum it might be heavy but I only got to shoot ten rounds before I had to hand it off to the next in line. It was a pretty cool shoot. They had that one, a Sten, a Thompson, and several more pistol caliber sub guns. I liked the Skorpion. It was tiny but mean!!!

Suomi KP/-31 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, this one was made by Centerfire Systems. It was just unbelievably heavy.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I own one of them. They were converted from full auto to semi by Tennessee guns and sold by centerfire systems. I have the 71 round drums and they are a hoot to shoot. They are very heavy for its size. They have a very colorful history in the Finnish army.

Reactions: rogertc1

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you want to see this fine weapon in action I highly recommend this movie

about the Russo- Finnish War { Tali - Ihantala 1944 }

It seems the Finnish soldiers preffered the Suomi over the M-39.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It was supposed to be a heck of a sub-machine gun. Quality is much better than similar Soviet designs of the same period....

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
Awesome looking gun.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Wow - an interesting gun with a colorful history. My wife has Finnish heritage, I wonder...

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
It's a WWII battle rifle used by Finland.
Very Interesting Firearm! BTW, the Finnish M31 is classified as a Sub-Machinegun (SMG), not a Battle Rifle.

The Finnish M31 was a very effective SMG and apparently impressed the Russians during the Russo Finnish Winter War, as the WWII Russian PPSH 41 bears more than a casual resemblance to it.

As noted, it's a fairly heavy firearm, but none of it's WWII contemporaries were lightweights, either. I have been fortunate to have been able to play with a few of them. (M1 Thompson, MP40, M3 Greasegun )
I found the M1 Thompson particularly heavy and awkward. I much preferred the M3 Greasegun to it.

Weight Comparisons (unloaded)

Finnish M31---------10.14 lbs
M1 Thompson-------10.6 lbs
Beretta 1938A--------9.0 lbs
M3 Greasegun--------8.15 lbs
MP40----------------8.82 lbs
PPSH 41-------------8.0 lbs

Rifles For Comparison (unloaded)

M1 Garand ----------9.5 lbs
M14-----------------9.2 lbs
M16A2--------------7.18 lbs
M4A1---------------6.36 lbs
AKM47--------------6.83 lbs

As a point of modern comparison, the H&K MP5A2 tips the scale empty, at a feathery 5.5 lbs. The British Sterling L2A3 Mk4 SMG weighs in at 6.0 lbs. Big fan of the Sterling, here! :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definitely heavy... even heavier with a full drum... but very fun to shoot... they feel like a 22. I recently purchased a kp31 kit that will be rebuilt as a semi as time permits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts