Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To help find my own reloads in the grass when shooting with others, I have thought about putting a dot of bright polish on the top of the bullet. Is this a no-no? Would a magic marker be recommended instead?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Permanent markers (AKA Sharpies) available in variety of colors works well on the brass cases (not the bullets). :)

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I agree with the Sharpie idea. At the IDPA matches a lot of the reloaders have their own color and way of marking the case. It's common to see people picking up their buddies brass and give it to them.
I also like the silver Sharpie for marking on the common black stuff involved with guns such as numbering mags and putting my initials on stuff.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Probably on the bottom with a sharpie. As stated, you'd never find it on the top.hahaha

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
I have multi colored sharpies I use for distinguishing different loads in the same box when I am working up loads for a new gun, I just mark a line on the bottom of the cases. It also help if a load starts showing pressure signs so you know which load it was when you have a pile of brass.

Reactions: tucker368

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Forget the nail polish,It will present problems in revolvers and semi-autos,I prefer a red nail polish light touch on the inside rim near the primer it last a lot longer and quick to find ! good luck

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
I have used both, sharpies and nail polish. They both work fine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny me. I would like to use it near the primer. I consider that the top!. So as long as it is a light swipe near the primer it is ok?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I would think a light swipe wouldn't be. And make sure you know the top from the bottom! Hahaha

·
Registered
150 Posts
I go to the range twice a week and shoot 50 rounds a visit. After I reload and all the rounds are in the holders I lay a 6" rule on them and draw a line with a Sharpie. The line is across the primers too and one stroke gets 10 at a time.
Different day different color, then I show them to my shooting buddies who return all my brass (as I do their's). Rarely do I come home without all my brass and some extras from those who don't want it.
Tumbling removes the Sharpie lines.
I also tend to use brass with the same headstamp for each 50 that I load at a time. Right now I'm using Blazer, next week it may be Speer or PMC. This also makes it easier to id as mine.

Being a scavenger (cheap), I'll retrieve empty ammo boxes and holders from the trash can. All my reloads go to the range in the factory holders with the box turned inside out. I mark the outside of the box with the load data and the load date. It makes me smile when there is a $14.99 price sticker in a box that I bought 7 months ago.

Fatboy Packin'

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
I've used brightly colored permanent magic markers and Sharpies on the base of brass for years for this purpose.

It works just fine.
:thumb:

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Brightly colored sharpies on the casing head should help. I used them while shooting a National Match M-14. Casings could only be fired three times then discarded. That last reloading for the last firing was marked bright red so I wouldn't reload it any more.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Another +1 for the sharpies. I usually get the jumbo tipped ones.

Reactions: tucker368 and darbo

·
Super Moderator
39,218 Posts
I think it's cool that you reload!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Great, now I have to pack acetone in my range bag so I can scrounge brass without someone saying,"Hey! That's mine!" What's next? Engraving? ;-)

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
I have to say Sharpees or even paint markers. Nail polish is a rather unique substance, predominantly plastic explosives (Nitrocellulose) in suspension. I would imaging if SHTF, some powdered nail polish could be useful as a form of gunpowder similar to black powder.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I would go with a Sharpie X across the primer, nail polish could possibly seep in and foul the primer if you use too much.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Use a brass catcher.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts