Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
into reloading and just ordered a lee classic turret press kit, lee carbide 4 die set (.45 acp), and an inertia bullet puller

powder, primers and bullets are coming after my next payday. lol.

·
Administrator
35,115 Posts
Nice ! I really like the turret systems, they look pretty good for reloading. Let us know how it goes !

·
Super Moderator
35,510 Posts
You are going to derive a huge sense of satisfaction when you begin producing your first rounds..

Congratulations on taking that first step. Also it is highly recommended that you get a book, or two, on the reloading process.

·
Super Moderator
40,387 Posts
The new 3 R's: Reloading, Relaxing, Rewarding :D

Be safe, and have fun!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have had the lee manual and the abc's of reloading for a while and have read through them a few times
im probably going to pick up another one when i order powder and primers and what not. :)

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
35,510 Posts
Ordering powder/primers is obviously best locally as the shop buys in volume to spread out the hazmat and shipping charges. If you shoot with a club you may find others to group orders with to amortize the costs and get volume discounts on lead also.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You will also need calipers - I am quite satisfied with my Harbor Freight $10 digitals, plenty accurate enough for my needs - and the cost goes up by brand and style.

·
Super Moderator
35,510 Posts
I have the dial type that I bought years ago before I even started reloading. I did the the Harbor Freight ad in AR and my eye was drawn to that 10.00 digital one. I wish they would put a store close to me (or maybe I don't :D ).

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
into reloading and just ordered a lee classic turret press kit, lee carbide 4 die set (.45 acp), and an inertia bullet puller

Welcome to the most rewarding hobby of all!
As CZECH said it's a great feeling to shoot your own loads.
Everyone says you save a lot of money. But you also shoot more! Which costs you more. Ha. It's a never ending cycle.
Good luck and remember to relax and enjoy!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Very cool! I hope that it works out for you. Please show us some pics of your setup, as well as progress reports....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i forgot to list off a dial and digital caliper. i bought them a few weeks ago and they really look like they want to be used for more than measuring random things that i wonder the size of. lol.

and i know it wont 'save' me money. i justify it as it makes shooting more cheaper. XD

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill post pics as soon as it arrives and i get it all set up.
it should be at my house friday.

·
Registered
36,019 Posts

Congradulations, its an enjoyable hobbie , just be safe and double /triple check your movements in the beginning.
Depending on where you live and general competition among gunshops you may find ordering powder, primers, projectiles on line much cheaper than local shops!
here primers run 36-42 bucks per thousand, i get them (CCI) for 24 bucks per thousand, powder is from 24 - 29 bucks per pound, online I get it for 12-14 per pound, projectiles normally are about 30-35% cheaper online than locally and there is a much better selection.
true haz mat charges are 25 bucks but a couple thousand primers and you are even or better, and you pay no sales tax normally on the purchase which kind of washes out the shipping charge.
Bulk projectiles are the smart way to go, and both berrys and raniers make excellent plated projectiles for range work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ups tracking says my boxes should arrive today.
im hoping to start setting everything up tonight after work. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts