Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it's sort of an AK, being something of a nonstandard pattern...

Century RH10. Added new laminated handguards (that took a solid hour and change to fit up) and pistol grip, a Circle 10 fixed triangle stock that I did a paracord wrap on and a Sig Romeo5 mounted to an Attero Arms Bravo mount.

Seems good to go save for the magwell being quite tight, but that makes for wobble-free mags, so I'll take it.

·
Administrator
18,038 Posts
Very very Nice! :love: I like your Custom touches to it! :)

Congratulations and may it serve you well! :)

Reactions: MisterNoisy

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very very Nice! :love: I like your Custom touches to it! :)

Congratulations and may it serve you well! :)
Thanks! I can't leave any rifle alone if customization is an option, so I was sitting on the parts before the rifle even shipped.

·
Premium Member
11,198 Posts
Try the polymer magazines. :)
I had a bunch of Tapco mags. Changed out the followers for the bolt hold open followers. They work great.

Reactions: JimmyA

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've mainly been using combloc surplus mags (mostly Bulgarian) in my M10X, though I've got a few Gen 3 AK PMags and some XTechs that seem to run pretty well, too. The only AK mags I've bought that had issues were some of the BHO steel mags marked 'Made in Croatia' that I found for $8 per a while ago.

I can't see buying the super gucci mags like Russian bakelites - the going rate on those is like $100 per - too rich for my blood.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Congrats on your First AK.

Reactions: MisterNoisy

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I've mainly been using combloc surplus mags (mostly Bulgarian) in my M10X, though I've got a few Gen 3 AK PMags and some XTechs that seem to run pretty well, too. The only AK mags I've bought that had issues were some of the BHO steel mags marked 'Made in Croatia' that I found for $8 per a while ago.

I can't see buying the super gucci mags like Russian bakelites - the going rate on those is like $100 per - too rich for my blood.
I have one of those "Made in Croatia" - doesn't fit in the well very good. I wonder if the Korean ones are any good?
The Magpul plastic ones are very good.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have one of those "Made in Croatia" - doesn't fit in the well very good. I wonder if the Korean ones are any good?
The Magpul plastic ones are very good.
I didn't have any issues with fitment, just the followers would hang up about every now and then on a couple of them. Maybe some day I'll take them apart and look for burrs or something else that'd cause them to hang up.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Nice!

AK's are great rifles!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Century RH10. Added new laminated handguards (that took a solid hour and change to fit up) and pistol grip, a Circle 10 fixed triangle stock that I did a paracord wrap on and a Sig Romeo5 mounted to an Attero Arms Bravo mount.

Seems good to go save for the magwell being quite tight, but that makes for wobble-free mags, so I'll take it.
What exactly do you mean by tight mags?

Are they hard to put in or take out?

I bought a bunch of Romanian mags not long ago. They worked perfect in my Polytech, and went into my Maadi great, but some were super hard to remove.

I filed a little bit off where the arrow is. Now they work great in both rifles.

Plastic mags are just silly in a AK. How is that dot sight on the dust cover working for you?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What exactly do you mean by tight mags?

Are they hard to put in or take out?

I bought a bunch of Romanian mags not long ago. They worked perfect in my Polytech, and went into my Maadi great, but some were super hard to remove.

I filed a little bit off where the arrow is. Now they work great in both rifles.

Plastic mags are just silly in a AK. How is that dot sight on the dust cover working for you?

They're just a bit snug when trying to rock them back and sometimes need a little smack to fully lock in and a good tug to get them back out - they're definitely hanging up a bit on the rear lug/mag catch. The same mags lock perfectly in my M10X with no percussive coercion required, tho. I may try filing the rear lug on a couple of the dodgier Croatian mags to see if that helps and if so, carry that forward to the rest.

I like the Attero mount in terms of height and installation was ridiculously simple/quick, but haven't gotten a chance to run some through the rifle yet - couldn't really go to the range on Easter, ya know? 😉

Will definitely have a complete range report this weekend though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
They're just a bit snug when trying to rock them back and sometimes need a little smack to fully lock in and a good tug to get them back out - they're definitely hanging up a bit on the rear lug/mag catch. The same mags lock perfectly in my M10X with no percussive coercion required, tho. I may try filing the rear lug on a couple of the dodgier Croatian mags to see if that helps and if so, carry that forward to the rest.

I like the Attero mount in terms of height and installation was ridiculously simple/quick, but haven't gotten a chance to run some through the rifle yet - couldn't really go to the range on Easter, ya know? 😉

Will definitely have a complete range report this weekend though.
On the tight mags I had. It was super hard to press the mag release, a couple was damn near impossible to get out.

Some said to file the mag release down a little bit, I'd rather
file on a mag than my rifle.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the weather cooperated today and I got to run a little over a hundred through it and brought my M10X for comparison (and just because I like shooting it and it runs the same ammo).

Functioned flawlessly and the optic mount held zero throughout. If you can handle losing the rear sight leaf (though the mount has its own fixed notch built-in), it's a great option for sticking a red dot on your AK-pattern gun.

Trigger is decent enough but I may see about getting an ALG four it. The stock one is pretty light and a bit on the mushy side with a slightly unpredictable break. Everything else was perfectly fine and it ran like a top. Recoil is a bit sharper than my M10X, but nothing to write home. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase.

After zeroing, I ended up spending most of the day chatting with my range neighbors, one who was function-testing an AK they'd just finished putting together from a Yugo underfolder parts kit and another who insisted that I try out his .50 Beowulf AR. All told, a great way to close out the weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts