Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a Yugo my wife got me last spring, but my cataracts kept me from doing any testing with it. I did work up a cast bullet handload, but haven't messed much with it. Today, I decided to test it. I'd shot it, but couldn't see what I was shooting at. :rofl:

So, I shot at 35 yards and got this 3 shot group, 2 holes touching, a third to the left. This is with the issue iron sights which are dead on, so whom ever this rifle was issued to, or the armory that rebarreled it in Yugoslavia, knew what they were doing. :D I have an 88 Commission Rifle which shoots high, no way to adjust it, so I didn't know what to expect.

Ammo was some of the last surplus I bought 25 years ago for my Hakim. That old Commission Rifle kicks like heck, is lighter. This thing shoots nice. :D

Note that the little holes are .22 caliber from previous practice with my NAA mini revolver.

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
Ain't it fun getting old? You still did a great job shooting with iron sights. Have you had surgery to remove the cataracts? I have one in my left eye, but I've been putting off surgery, I shoot with my right eye anyway.

·
Super Moderator
37,586 Posts
That rifle shoots true to aim...nice work!

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
35,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an 8x57S, was using surplus issue ammo and the rifle is as issue.

Yeah, I got both eyes fixed recently. Don't put it off. I had to, so that I could get my medicare which went into effect in October. The surgery is pretty expensive and doc said I would be fine delaying it, but by the time I had it done, I was legally blind. It's easy surgery and boy, let me tell ya, I was ready to do anything by the time I finally was able to get it done.

·
Administrator
35,630 Posts
Is that a German gun or a variant? Either way, it's a nice shooter. Congrats !

·
Super Moderator
35,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that a German gun or a variant? Either way, it's a nice shooter. Congrats !
It's a Yugo. At the end of WW2, Marshal Tito had rounded up all the German weapons and, needing rifles to control the populous, he had them refurbished, rebarreled and put Yugoslav markings on them. They're German issue weapons that have had Yugo markings added and have been rebarreled. The Yugo markings make them undesirable to collectors, but being refurbished and little used, they're great shooters.

These weapons were only in service for a year or two before they were replaced by the SKS, then the AKs. They've been in storage ever since. :D There must have been a load of 'em imported, because they showed up everywhere. My wife bought me this one last year at a little gun shop in Columbus, Texas.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
I've got a 8mm Turk I still haven't shot yet...:unsure:...guess I really kinda' need to get on that.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have a 98 action WW1 vintage the action is all i have the barrel and wood has all been changed it was the first stock I ever made I learned a lot doing that one a real Labour of love

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
35,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Today was a nice day, temps in the 50s/60s, very light wind, so I set up on my 100 yard range and fired some rounds, adjusted windage best I could with the front sight. I don't have a sight adjustment tool, so my brass mallet became my sight adjustment tool. I got it pretty close, could inches right, best I could do. It put old milsurp into 3" before the barrel got hot. I shot some Steller and Bellot 196 grain stuff, what I zeroed it with. That stuff should be some nasty hog killin' medicine. It kicks like heck. I have a sore upper jaw from crawling the stock on the bench. But, I'll survive. :D Definitely makin' some noise in the neighborhood. There was a guy down the road shooting an AR. It sounded like a pop gun compared to a 105 howitzer. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
27,088 Posts
Thanks.

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
Today was a nice day, temps in the 50s/60s, very light wind, so I set up on my 100 yard range and fired some rounds, adjusted windage best I could with the front sight. I don't have a sight adjustment tool, so my brass mallet became my sight adjustment tool. I got it pretty close, could inches right, best I could do. It put old milsurp into 3" before the barrel got hot. I shot some Steller and Bellot 196 grain stuff, what I zeroed it with. That stuff should be some nasty hog killin' medicine. It kicks like heck. I have a sore upper jaw from crawling the stock on the bench. But, I'll survive. :D Definitely makin' some noise in the neighborhood. There was a guy down the road shooting an AR. It sounded like a pop gun compared to a 105 howitzer. :rofl:
Everytime I see or hear "AR"...:doh:...I picture this.......
giphy.gif

·
Super Moderator
37,586 Posts

Sounds like a great day. I hope to see those temps in 50-60 days...:rolleyes:

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I bought two K98's back in the 60's at Kmart. They had them displayed in a wooden barrel for $29.99 each. I Picked out two that looked the best and had good bores. I sold one and kept the other and had it sporterized {bolt turned down, barrel and stock cut back, drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Both were 7X57 and both shot great. I killed a lot of deer with that old Mauser. Great rifles.

Reactions: FreeInAZ
1 - 14 of 14 Posts