Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I renewed my range membership back around Thanksgiving and not long after the world went crazy. I went out there a few times over the months and could not even find a parking space. ( Our range is a small indoor range with about 2 dozen lanes) Anyway, there were a couple of spaces open so I thought I would try. Wow, it was packed, I guess everyone car-pooled. But after a little while was able to get a lane and even buy some extra ammo. 38's, a couple of dollars more than they used to be but nowhere close to gouging. Set up a zombie target just for the heck of it and had at it.

It was a little more "intresting" than it used to be. I am used to it being mostly empty being the middle of the afternoon on a weekday. I watched an elderly couple I'm guessing early to mid eighties being instructed on a brand new Glock, they both looked lost and scared to death. There was qualifing going on next to me and the blue cease fire light was constantly flashing. Finally a range master told me it was ok to shoot. The light was on because of the qualifing. This didn't quite make sence to me but ok.

Then a young man offered to teach me the correct way to shoot using both hands. Without thinking I had reverted back to my younger days and was shooting one hand. I politely declined and explained I normally shoot with both hands. We talked for a little while and he was kind enough to tell me the virtues of using a semi-auto over a revolver. He then went on to tell me how he had been shooting for 6 months now. Long before all the newbies started showing up and if I needed any help just to let him know. I have to admit at this point I'm starting to wonder just how bad my shooting form is?

At the end of the day it was good one. I had one flyer with my first weak hand shot using the 22. All the rest of my shots were on target pretty much where I wanted ( I did realize it is time for new glasses) wasted alot of 22's that I don't care for and managed to come home with alot more 38's than I left with. After I got home it occured to me. Wow, I needed that. almost like a mini-vacation. It was nice to get away.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Any day at the range is a great day unless you are the target.. ;)

Reactions: Snug9mm

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know I haven't been to the range in a good while ... Haha last time I was there some new guy and his girlfriend were shooting and she damn shot the whole target hanging system off of my line and she wasn't even in my lane!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Yeah, I was at the range about a month ago, and it was pretty scary with the newbs there...

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Range day is always relaxing glad you got your mini vacation.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

Its always feels good to blast pretend BGs.

Since I have a place to shoot on my property I do not have to go to the range. Plus I have a simple range at another piece of property that I own.

Paul

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
It is a little scary with all the beginners. Good range master and experienced members help the noobs which saftey is a priority for a good range time to be enjoyed by all.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The smell of burnt gunpowder is always good and a stress reliever too.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The wife had a severe stroke in '99
We are fortunate she has recovered so well.....
but as a result, she no longer is comfortable with a rifle,
and she shoots the revolvers/pistols with one hand.
We have new shooters at our favorite range, and a couple of
new 'class' instructors [I no longer teach the carry class] but
I can't remember a time when anyone critiqued my wife's
'anything'........stance, grip, etc.......
Maybe they 'give her a pass' when she shoots the magnum stuff.....
and one-handed fires an 8" barrel, or possibly the noise that the
Smith 460XVR has when the trigger is pulled.......
or just out of respect because they have seen us around, or
possibly just because we are older......[??///]

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Oh,......
I am always glad to see SOOOOOO many new shooters,
young or old.
It gives me a sense of security for these trying times.
Sorry Dudes......but the ladies [in our classes] seem to
not only listen better than you........they hit the paper so well.
[did I just lose my 'man card'?]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts