Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot slugs and 45 lc out of it..doesn't have much recoil and once I got used to the weight it really wasn't heavy. I couldn't shoot bbs as the range wasn't set up for it.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Have you tried the 454 Casull? Thats got some recoil.

I was shooting em at the range the other day and they were just as loud as the Mosin -Nagant next to me.:D

·
Registered
502 Posts
The heavy weight of the RJM really does help to soak up the recoil. Try some .45 Schofields, that's 180 grains of lead and the recoil is so minimal you'd think you were shooting .22LR's.

But, as chicagotrauma says, those .454 Casulls will definitely grab your attention.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe the OP's gun is the Raging Judge Ultra-Lite and is not chambered for .454 Casull. Can the .45 Schofields be fired in any Judge? Is there any advantage to them over .45 Colt?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Can the .45 Schofields be fired in any Judge? Is there any advantage to them over .45 Colt?
Yes the can. And no advantage

Reactions: trouter2

·
Registered
502 Posts
Schofields are a lower-power, "Cowboy" load. They're as expensive or moreso than .45 Colt ammo. They're smaller, and frequently an unjacketed lead round nose or lead flat nose. They are a very light-recoil, soft-shooting round, suitable for cowboy action shooters who do trick shots with them, but not much good for much else. The .45 Colt is a lot more powerful.

I tried a .45 Schofield out of a .460 S&W revolver (a Smith & Wesson XVR) and the 180-grain bullet clocked in at around 530 feet per second. That'd be about 112 ft/lbs of energy. Not a whole lot of punch to it. Of course, you get higher velocities out of a revolver that's chambered specifically for the .45 Schofield, but even then it peaks at usually around 700 fps or so.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the OP's gun is the Raging Judge Ultra-Lite and is not chambered for .454 Casull. Can the .45 Schofields be fired in any Judge? Is there any advantage to them over .45 Colt?
Spool is correct, I cannot shoot the 454, but I have 7 shots :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts