Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to pick up my gun today and I'm thrilled! I took it apart and gave it a good look and I would rate it at just over 95%. The funny thing is, when I ran the s/n on Taurus' site it was made in '88. It came with two mags which turned out to be (1) Beretta and (1) unknown. The unknown has no markings or witness holes, plastic base plate and follower, and will hold 17 rounds. I can't wait to get to the range, I now have three guns I have not shot. Just wanted to share my glee and see if anyone can identify my mystery mag (ram-line?).

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, don't know where the wife stashed the camera. I plan on pics of the mag and the gun tomorrow. It has no markings of any kind and a poor weld along the back of the mag. The feed lips are shorter and more narrow than on the Beretta mag and the 17th round doesn't seat fully to the rear of the mag by about 1/16".

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
please post pic's of everything when you get a chance.. im not aware of taurus 92's fitting beretta mags except for the older design with heal release.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took some quick pics with my new phone.

In the first image there is a little residue left from a sticker I peeled off. As for the Beretta mag, the catch has been opened up a bit with a Dremel so it will function in the Taurus.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ok i see about the beretta.. as for the unknown mag.. can't say.. the floor plate looks like it could be from a beretta mag.. but the construction surely is not.. i have 2 mags that look "similar" to this but they are for the beretta not taurus.. they have the same kinda wielding marks on the back with no witness holes..

they feed fine but wont lock back and i had to tweak them because when i first got them they would bind up just loading the ammo i'd have to drop the whole floor plate and spring and then jab the ammo with a pen.. not fun. i bent the mags slightly with some channel locks and it seemed to fix them..

they feed fine like i said but wont lock back.. got them when i bought my beretta so i have no idea what kind they are.. they might not even be the same brand but they look similar.. junk is what they are.. even if they do feed ok.. junk.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally took some pics of the gun, here she is....

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nice looking '92'! Hope it serves you well.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
That mystery mag is probably made by Eagle. They had some 17 rounders, called +2, just before the AWB. Why does your pistol have two different kinds of grip on it? The left is for the non-decocker, and appears to be a Hogue. The right is for a de-cocker variant?

Do yourself a favor, and go to CDNN and buy a couple of Taurus 15 or 17 round mags. They'll fit without grinding, and will last much longer. :D

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
he should be ok he has a pre decocker since it's a 88 decocker did'nt come around till early 90's

but i agree he definitely has some kinda franken gun going on here.

btw how much does CDNN want for taurus 17rnd mags? the usually go for 30 most places i've looked, mec-gars go for about 20ish.. i'd go with mec-gars.

·
32,737 Posts
Great pictures and nice looking gun.
www.mec-gar.com has PT92/99 magazines for spares if you need them. There are 10,15,17, and 20 rounders to pick from.

Cheaper than factory ones.

I use Mec-gars for my Ruger P95 and they work well. Had them for several years now and are still functioning well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
JR said:
That mystery mag is probably made by Eagle. They had some 17 rounders, called +2, just before the AWB. Why does your pistol have two different kinds of grip on it? The left is for the non-decocker, and appears to be a Hogue. The right is for a de-cocker variant?

Do yourself a favor, and go to CDNN and buy a couple of Taurus 15 or 17 round mags. They'll fit without grinding, and will last much longer. :D
When I bought my hougue grips, it came with three panels. Left and Right with Decocker, and a second left panel without decocker.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I'm going to guess that's their way of making the panels fit both series. It still looks odd, though. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts