Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeking better barrel return-to-zero, I purchased one of those bushings from a manufacturer of custom 92F parts. I stupidly took the 917 cs slide to an incompetent gunsmith for the bushing to be silver-soldered on; the goofball messed up the bead-blasted finish on the slide with the heat from the silver soldering operation and never bothered to re-finish the slide - he was waiting FOR THREE MONTHS to buy a sandblasting cabinet, instead of simply getting the job done.

Since I was hoping to have my 917 cs back in my house before I died of old age or ricketts or something, I took it home and attempted it myself by buying an air-eraser and some glass bead. This didn't work because the air eraser is too small and can only operate at 65 PSI, so I hauled the slide to an anodizer that has a shop walking distance from my house. The perfect counterpoint to my gunsmith, this gentleman sandblasted the top for FREE in about 20 seconds.

The gun looks GREAT! I'll take it out and shoot it in a couple of days. I also put Hogue tulipwood or kingwood scalloped checkered grips on the gun and attached them with some aluminum grip screws. In this vid I'm showing it off along with my Ruger Mark III onto which I installed some Dr. Frankenruger grips...

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Nice video and good looking grips.

There is just something, or maybe it is the sum of many somethings about the PT917 that seems to make it perfect.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Good save. Good lookin' pistola! I might need to get another 917 or three. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, man. That's a good looking pistol. What a cool story, too. Seems to me that many people don't want to even look at a gun part these days, let alone work on it for free! Maybe he's a gun guy or something. Either way, I'm glad it worked out. I love the tulipwood stocks, they're some of my favorites for autos, especially on stainless guns. I know a lot of people like darker stocks for lighter guns, but I ain't one of 'em. Thanks for showing us the work.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, man. That's a good looking pistol. What a cool story, too. Seems to me that many people don't want to even look at a gun part these days, let alone work on it for free! Maybe he's a gun guy or something. Either way, I'm glad it worked out. I love the tulipwood stocks, they're some of my favorites for autos, especially on stainless guns. I know a lot of people like darker stocks for lighter guns, but I ain't one of 'em. Thanks for showing us the work.
Thank you, thank you all. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts