Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, back around 2007 I decided I wanted a pump .357. The 45 Thunderbolts were few and far between and never came across a .357. Then I heard there were problems with them. It appears they started making them again briefly in 2011. I had always wanted a SS one. (and always planned to pair it with a 6inch 608 revolver, for a non black, non scary, politically correct pair of defense guns. I walked into the LGS today, and there was one on the shelf. It is the 26 inch barrel 14 shot one. Looking forward to getting it to the range. I know many have had issues with them, but if I luck out and it is good to go, great. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. I learned to shoot on an 1890 .22 WRF, and still have it, it was dad's and his dad's. I have always wanted a .357 pump. Man its a short throw compared to a lever gun in .357. Anyone that has one I would love to hear how it turned out.

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new weapon. I really wanted one of these last year. There were still some new-old-stock examples in the store. The gun is sort of intended to be retro, but I think a .357 or .45 pump rifle that holds 14 rounds has many modern day applications.

·
Registered
29,971 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of "1 MILLION" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got a 45 thunderbolt in the fall. Weather was nice today and I shot about 45 rounds. adjusted the rear sight and I think it is a very nice rifle. I'm looking forward to taking it Deer hunting next year. I was shooting at about forty yards and holding a two inch groups once I got it adjusted that was standing not supported. Chocolatehauler :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a SS .45 at another shop the same day. Even though I always wanted the SS .357 I jumped on the blue one, it is the only one I have seen in person. How do they handle .357 vs 38? Same capacity?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I got a 45 thunderbolt in the fall. Weather was nice today and I shot about 45 rounds. adjusted the rear sight and I think it is a very nice rifle. I'm looking forward to taking it Deer hunting next year. I was shooting at about forty yards and holding a two inch groups once I got it adjusted that was standing not supported. Chocolatehauler :)
Nice score!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I saw 2 of these at First Stop Gun In Rapid City SD yesterday.

A blued .357 Mag and a SS 45LC. They were asking 450.00 for the .357

I don't know if thats a good price or not.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, back around 2007 I decided I wanted a pump .357. The 45 Thunderbolts were few and far between and never came across a .357. Then I heard there were problems with them. It appears they started making them again briefly in 2011. I had always wanted a SS one. (and always planned to pair it with a 6inch 608 revolver, for a non black, non scary, politically correct pair of defense guns. I walked into the LGS today, and there was one on the shelf. It is the 26 inch barrel 14 shot one. Looking forward to getting it to the range. I know many have had issues with them, but if I luck out and it is good to go, great. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. I learned to shoot on an 1890 .22 WRF, and still have it, it was dad's and his dad's. I have always wanted a .357 pump. Man its a short throw compared to a lever gun in .357. Anyone that has one I would love to hear how it turned out.

it never happened without pictures..............:) :)

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so now the thread is not worthless. The gun is real.

The bad news is I just got back from the range. I put in 5 rounds of Winchester white box ammo, got off three shots, and have jam that is not proving easy to clear. Let's just say I am NOT happy with this gun right now. I starting shooting an 1890 pump when I was 5 or 6 years old. 40 years later and I have put tens of thousands of rounds through dozens of weapons. I have had my share of FTF, FTE, etc. over the years. I have never had a mother of all jams in a gun I could not get 5 rounds through.
I do not know the name for this type of jam in a pump action, but it is on par with and perhaps surpasses a bad AR jam where you get a round between the bolt and top of the upper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a time consuming MF that requires a long skinny screwdriver or other tool to push the round into the magazine tube. Simple, but time consuming. And to get to that stage, the other live round that did not chamber has to be removed from the top of the feed tray. Complicated by the round under the feed tray keeping the action basically locked. Anyways, you get the top round out of the way, pry the tapped bottom round loose from how it is jammed, then you can get to the push into the mag tube phase. If anyone knows off a simplier, faster way, I am all ears. And.... the feed hole is way too damned small. The gate and hole should be bigger instead of requiring a pinky to feed the last round you put in the magazine tube. Anyways, I went from happy as hell to not too happy quick. And, my enter key is not working so sorry for the lack of paragraphs to boot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts