Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being of the old and fat pursuasion myself, I found a holster for my PT-140 that absolutely works for me :) In fact, it's the best holster I ever owned, and I have a draw full of them! It's called Smart Carry, and since a picture is worth a thousand words.

This holster will also hold my j-frame S&W .38 should I choose to carry it instead of the PT-140, and it provides a space for an extra magazine or speed strip.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've seen these before and some people rave about them, while others found them to be completely uncomfortable. The most important thing is that it works for you. If you reach in there and pull out te wrong "gun", well, then maybe you'll at least stun the BG into submission.

Just be very careful with the new setup and wear it around the house some first to make sure it'll really work for you.

Todd

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got one and use it more than any of my other holsters. it works especially well with shorts that just have an elastic waistband. It does take a little getting used to but is very comfortable while sitting,bending etc. :thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would honestly love to have one of these, but i have 0 buttox. Nothing sticking out back there for the strap to hang on to. I'd have to wear suspenders or something.

Can you carry a service size pistol in those? The photos generally show a smaller frame gun.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The link above takes you to the Photos page where they show a guy who's using it for a 1911. Now, whether it would be comfortable for you is a different question.

Steelheart

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me clear up something here. The holster will accomodate both my Taurus and my J-frame Smith, but not at the same time. So, I don't carry two cannons down there.

merddyn 2002....My butt is so flat, I ride a Japanese motorcycle and the stock seat is perfect for me! So, don't fret about needing a butt to hold it in place. If you wear an undershirt, and underpants, the elastic strap seems to hang on to them.

As far as having a pistol pointed at your kid brother, I always carry with the safety on.

I have found it most comfortable to wear slightly to the left of middle, with the grip extending only about 1/2 inch above my belt buckle. The ONLY thing that shows through a thin T-shirt is the belt buckle on my pants..

·
Registered
35 Posts
you inspire me to order one of these... would be VERY nice in the summer when I dont want to wear an overshirt to conceal my shoulder rig... i'll give it a shot.

cantshoot4crap said:
Let me clear up something here. The holster will accomodate both my Taurus and my J-frame Smith, but not at the same time. So, I don't carry two cannons down there.

merddyn 2002....My butt is so flat, I ride a Japanese motorcycle and the stock seat is perfect for me! So, don't fret about needing a butt to hold it in place. If you wear an undershirt, and underpants, the elastic strap seems to hang on to them.

As far as having a pistol pointed at your kid brother, I always carry with the safety on.

I have found it most comfortable to wear slightly to the left of middle, with the grip extending only about 1/2 inch above my belt buckle. The ONLY thing that shows through a thin T-shirt is the belt buckle on my pants..

·
Registered
116 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
That's not where I would carry Condition One.
I agree with you on that. I like the crossbreedholsters myself. I ordered one about 3 days ago ill post an update when I recive it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a crossbreed holster, and it's ok, but my firearm shows or prints unless I'm wearing a very big shirt. In my opinion, it's no better than the other two IWB holsters I have (Don Hume;Uncle Mike's).
The Smart Carry is comfortable and does not show at all.

I really think it's a matter of personal body build. My son, who uses a Don Hume IWB holster, also carries a PT-140 and it doesn't show at all. He's slim and muscular. I'm more barrel shaped.

·
Registered
135 Posts
cantshoot4crap said:

I meant YOUR cannon...and your HANDGUN.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I considered the smart carry for a while and ultimately decided that quick access to the gun over-wrote the convenience factor. i dont wanna go digging around in my crotch when I need the weapon.

I went with a shoulder rig since IWB is out (i'm a big guy too and havn't found an IWB I like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LedJedi wrote: "I considered the smart carry for a while and ultimately decided that quick access to the gun over-wrote the convenience factor. i dont wanna go digging around in my crotch when I need the weapon."

One of the niceties of the Smart Carry is that you can wear it at many levels since there are no belt hooks. I wear mine with the grip sticking above my beltline by about 1/2 inch, so there really isn't any reaching down your crotch for the weapon. I simply place my weak hand thumb between the grip and my belt, and pull out the weapon with my strong hand. I'll concede though, that in some situations a two handed extraction may not be desirable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts