Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally fired the Rossi 461 3" that I bought from last year Black Friday at academy

I went to the range today and shot my Rossi 461 that I bought from Academy during the black Friday sales. I shot 36 rnd of Remington 158GR 38 speical Lead and 24 rnd of Remington 130 GR FMJ. I love the gun so far but I've noticed some paint coming off the gun. I've also noticed the same with my Taurus P640 .40 S&W.

Is this a Taurus's problem? From my googling, it seem to be common in Taurus.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Interesting. Post some pics. I think the finish on the 461 is blue and not painted but I could well be wrong. The Rossi website lists the finish as blue.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
I have the Rossi 351 and a friend of mine also bought the 461 Black Friday special at Academy. We took it out 2 weeks ago and it shot great. I don't think there are any painted surfaces on the Rossi.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Jake, After a lot of good advice on how to improve my shooting and a lot of practice, my 46103 still shoots high and right. Not terrible but there in single action mode and much more exagerated in double action. I normally shoot a .45 1911 and don't have this problem at all with any other hand gun. Only aiming issue I have is with new PT111 with Heinie sights and I shoot straight but about 2 rings low at 7 yds. I have purchased some aftermarket 3 dot for that pistol. I let a friend shoot the 46103 and he had the same high/right issues and he is an excellent and skilled shot. I also have a Taurus 851 CIA and don't shoot high/right and it has the same sights and I can use the same .38 special loads.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Before making a judgement call about it shooting hight and right, I suggest having 2 or 3 "experienced" as in "accurate" shooters test drive it off a bench rest.

If it shoots point of aim for them...guess what...pilot error. ;)

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Jake, After a lot of good advice on how to improve my shooting and a lot of practice, my 46103 still shoots high and right. Not terrible but there in single action mode and much more exagerated in double action. I normally shoot a .45 1911 and don't have this problem at all with any other hand gun. Only aiming issue I have is with new PT111 with Heinie sights and I shoot straight but about 2 rings low at 7 yds. I have purchased some aftermarket 3 dot for that pistol. I let a friend shoot the 46103 and he had the same high/right issues and he is an excellent and skilled shot. I also have a Taurus 851 CIA and don't shoot high/right and it has the same sights and I can use the same .38 special loads.
If you sandbag the barrel on the bench and it still shoots high and right, Clarence the X-eyed Brazillian may have put your 46103 together. If I have any doubt if it is me or the gun, I always set the frame or the barrel on a sand bag and that pretty well will tell the tale of the tape. No manufacture makes perfect guns all the time and if the accuracy is not acceptable to you, send it back to Rossi, same with the PT111.

In any event, I have never kept a handgun I couldn't hit with, whether it was the gun or me.

I recently shot a handgun with heinie sights, the first I ever tried and it was a friends S & W Sigma in a .40 S & W, and most folks always malign the model as it is DAO, and I hit spot on with it, heinies and all. I have a Milpro PT 145 2nd Generation that is DAO. and maybe being used to it let me shoot the Sigma well, but I know everyone else bitches about the Sigma and I was actually impressed. When sighting those heinies, I pretty much ignored the dots and just focused on the sights like the dots weren't there and it shot great, long DAO pull and all. Anyhow, sandbag them, decide if it is the gun and if it is, send it back.

·
17,581 Posts
I have a 3" Rossi,and it is blued,not painted.
Are you sure it's not some shipping crud?
Or since he was shooting lead bullets, if it's on the leading edge of the cylinder it could be lead deposits.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Jake, I owned a S&W Sigma .40 and it had 3 dot sights. The trigger was also miserable. I had ejection problems and sent the thing back to S&W (on their buck) and they installed a new extractor and cleaned up the trigger and it then shot fine. That was the first pistol I have sent back to the factory. The PT111 sighting issue seems to be real common as it is talked about by every PT111 owner in the Milpro forum section. The Heinie sights are the issue... You can't line up one ball over the other directly, there has to be a lot of space between the dots and this takes some getting used to. Some folks shave the front sight and some replace the sights with early gen 3 dot sights. I got some Firesights as I like the idea of those bright things.

As far as sand bagging a pistol, the only place to do this at our range is at 25 yds but I guess I can give it a try. My wife owns a Taurus 851 CIA and that pistol has the same exact sights as the Rossi and I don't shoot that pistol offline. It is DAO and is more accurate than the Rossi so after sandbagging and having some other good shooters try the Rossi, if I confirm the issue is the gun, I will send it off and let Taurus tweek it. I can carry the CIA as the missus now carries the PT111.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
side note: i'm thinking about order Prvi Partizan PPU .38 special from Aim surplus.

Does anyone have any problem with or fire it?

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
side note: i'm thinking about order Prvi Partizan PPU .38 special from Aim surplus.

Does anyone have any problem with or fire it?

It is brass cased, made in Serbia and shoots a little dirty, but no more so than Winchester White Box. I have shot quite a bit of it, but the only Prvi Partizan I current have is .357 mag. Academy Sporting sells it under their own branding, Monarch in the red box, where as the Monarch in the blue box is steel cased and from Russia.

That is the beautiful thing about revolvers, they aren't ammo sensitive like a semi-auto.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is brass cased, made in Serbia and shoots a little dirty, but no more so than Winchester White Box. I have shot quite a bit of it, but the only Prvi Partizan I current have is .357 mag. Academy Sporting sells it under their own branding, Monarch in the red box, where as the Monarch in the blue box is steel cased and from Russia.

That is the beautiful thing about revolvers, they aren't ammo sensitive like a semi-auto.
Thank you for reply. I am a new gun owner. Can you tell me what you mean by "dirty"?

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
The amount of burnt powder deposits that is left usually on the front of the cylinder and around the forcing cone is where you notice it the most. Also, the amount of un-burnt powder you find in and around the innards and on the outside or down the bore of the barrel are things you want to look for. The Russian Tula (formerly Wolf) is a little dirtier, and the Mexican Made Aguila is also about the same as the Prva Partisan. The Winchester White box you would get at a Walmart is fairly dirty as is the Remington UMC. My experience among the lesser expensive range ammo is the Federal Champion burns cleaner than most. I haven't shot enough of the Sellier & Belloitt or the Fiochi to notice how clean it shoots. My main concern would be if you were finding unburnt powder with a particular round.

It's not really anything to get hung up on as you should be cleaning the gun after every range trip and the difference in time to clean between a premium clean shooting round might take you an extra minute, where as the price will be 60-75% more.

Your main concern should be how well the ammo performs in your gun as to accuracy and not having or creating problems regarding function.

Unless you get into serious target competition, you won't be buying any "match ammo" and before you get to that level, you would be spending a lot more on the handgun than you have currently invested. I'm not knocking the Rossi at all, as I think the fit and finish compares very favorably with revolvers selling for 60-80% more than you paid for the Rossi. We see a few complaints show up on this forum, but considering the 10's of thousands sold, they are very few.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found Georgia Arms "Canned Heat" .38 special ammo from ammo seek but from my research its ammo have blow up in rifles. has anybody have any experience with "canned heat" ammo from Georgia arms - THR The thread is from 2008 but I can't find any newer review/thread online. Their pistol ammo seem to work fine from the thread but I'll like to read some newer review first before I order from them.

Did anyone try Georgia Arms? What do you think?

·
32,481 Posts
I shoot a lot of Georgia Arms ammo in that caliber and it is their "Canned Heat". 158gr bullet weight.
I shoot it out of a Taurus 85CH, Taurus 82, and a Rossi 462.

The sights on my guns usually have hit to the point of aim with their ammo.

Georgia Arms are very good about their quality control.

I can recommend their ammo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts