Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got to cast my own bullets yesterday. This is my first attempt to cast, and pan-lube.

All the castings came out great. I cast a bunch for .45 ACP (190 grain SWC), .357 mag (158 grain SWC), and .380 ACP (102 grain RN). Today I made up some Darr lube and lubed up the .45's and the 380's. The .357's got the LLA tumble treatment.

With a little luck, I'll get some loaded tonight and then off to the range tomorrow. :clap:

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Glad to hear they turned out well for you. I've been toying with the idea for some time now but just haven’t made the commitment. What type of equipment are you working with?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm working with a Lee production pot IV, a single cavity Lee mold for the 190gn .452 SWC, and Lee 2 cavity molds for the 158gn .358 and 102gn .357 bullets. I pan lubed the bullets for the 45 ACP and 380 ACP, and used Lee Liquid Alox for the tumble lube .38sp/.357 mag bullets. The lead was salvaged from the indoor pistol range at my club.

My pan lube is a variation of the DARR recipe. I melted together 16 oz of paraffin, 13 oz of petroleum jelly, and one crayon (for color). That's a 55/45 ratio.

·
Super Moderator
35,082 Posts
I've cast with my Lee pot for 25 years or better. It still does the job. I have mostly Lee molds, double cavity for the most part. I kinda want some 6 hole gang molds for some of my fave bullets. I always buy a double cavity. If the bullet don't work, I ain't lost much. Occasionally, I'll get a bullet that just don't work in my guns, a 124 TC .356" mold is a shining example. My two 9s HATE it, actually keyholes. Some of my better ones, .358 158 grain SWC, both gas checked and plain base, 200 SWC double lube .452", 255 grain .452" flat nose, 105 grain .358" I size to .357 and shoot in .38, .380ACP AND 9x19 (very accurate), 148 grain .358" WC. There are others.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Glad to have another member of the "Grand Society for the Further Commemoration of the Tinsel Fairy". Welcome to the addiction. Good morning, happy to be here!
My name is Russ and I have an addiction!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The only thing I would say you should really change is to buy Lee's six cavity molds. Once you use one you may never use a double or single cavity mold again.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Loaded up the 45's, 380's and the 357 magnums and went to the range. The 45's were fired from my PT1911. 3 inch groups from 50 feet. The 357's were fired from my total titanium 2" 605, and grouped nicely also, for a snubby. The 380's were fired from my TCP 738, and gave me a few problems. I had several of them fail to feed. They failed to chamber properly, keeping the slide from going into battery, thus jamming it. After clearing it, reloading the cartridge into the magazine, the "fail to feed's" all fired, and all shots grouped well. I think the OAL was too much for the ogive on the bullet (it has a bit more of a point than other RN's I have loaded). I'll reduce the powder and shorten to .960, as I know this OAL runs well with in this firearm.

Also, no leading! The barrels have never looked better after a trip to the range, and cleaned up easily.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm also new to the casting and reloading scene myself. I find it very relaxing and rewarding. I've only reloaded for my 9mm largo so far. But I've casted for a friend for a few months and love it. I'm using old wheel weights that were free from the tire repair shop.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seating the 102 grain bullets in the 380 ACP case to a COAL of 0.962 inches did the trick. 50 rounds loaded, all went bang, no hiccups. They grouped well at 30 feet from my TCP-738, but were a bit high and slightly right of the 95 grain RN's from Missouri Bullet that I was using previously.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Moondawg. Looks like I've found another place to spend money to save money. Buying molds of various bullet designs for my other calibers now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts