Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Finally assessed the skills of my new Son in Law

2K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  taylces 
#1 ·
Well, today was range day. I brought an ensemble of various handguns from the Heritage RR to the Pietta SAA in 45 colt. Here's how the day broke down.
Got to the range about 11:45 or so. walked in with the range bag and they asked if we wanted a lane. I said yes and explained that he had just married my daughter and I needed to check his proficiency with various handguns. I was asked if I wanted them to add the additional fear of god factor in as yet another service they offer. I declined as he's already married her. He looked at a couple revolver rentals they had; a charter arms snubby in 22LR and a Taurus 605. I explained with his assistance that he really didn't know squat about actual firearms and if I could get him to fondle some they had to offer. Well we went right down to the sales displays and they were pushing glocks pretty hard. They had gen 1 17's up to the new Glock 48 and everything in between. he handled the compact and full sized and described he was looking initially for a home defense piece. I'm leaving him partially in the care of the sales guy and I start eyeballing the SAR BP9 and the Canik. I look at the SAR and it's a real nice pistol. I handed it to the SIL and he even seems impressed with the feel and how well the sights and grip angle fit him. 30 minutes later we hit the range.
We start with the RR and I walk him through the safe operation and load him up. Target range is 7 yards. None of this 3 yard starter garbage. he's shooting an IDPA target and takes aim for headshots. the "10 ring" is about the size of a baseball. he had a couple of flyers due to jerking the trigger and I was able to correct that almost immediately. Shot 2 cylinders, all would have been fatal. Next up the ATI 1911-22.
I walk him through the safeties and the unique mag in safety. I get him in a standard isosceles stance and again with head shots. Had 1 dud round and ran him through the jam clearing routine. Handled it like a champ.
Move on to the Bersa Thunder 380, a real centerfire pistol. 1st mag, 1 round. got the safety speech in and let him shoot. A Bit of excitement as that was the first real handgun that he's fired that had any form of recoil. He dropped the mag, safety checked it and set it down, slide back, facing down range. Loaded the second mag himself with some instruction and ran the second mag center mass. Still jerking the trigger and I called him on it and corrected his form. He's not a fan of that small of a firearm. Then onto the PT709.
He knows this is my carry pistol and has had it in his possession while we were out of town and had a couple of neighborhood break ins happening at the time. He really likes the extended grip and the blade safety for the trigger. This is now in his top 5 list. Sorry, he's not getting it while I'm still alive. He does shoot it very well. he likes the heavier weight, that he can actually feel the power of the rounds and his ability to reacquire the target. All center mass shots, no flyers after 2 mags. He does try to engage the safety when the slide is locked back but that's not a problem. It shows muscle memory is developing correctly.
Onward to the PT1911 (mine, not my wife's). I load 1 round in the mag and load 8 in the second mag. I warn him about the 3.5 lb trigger... several times. This is pretty much how it came from the factory aside from smoothing out over several thousand rounds down the pipe. He looks it over, identifies the safeties and asks about the beavertail grip safety. I tell him it's just one more safety to prevent accidental discharge. he loads it up and sure enough, would have double tapped it if there was a second round. Now he knows what to expect, he drops the mag and loads the full mag. All center mass and can feel the difference in recoil between a snappy 9mm and a pushing 45 ACP. He handled it like a champ. He cleared it and set it down again with the slide locked open, cleared and pointed down range.

Now we move to the Pietta in 45 colt. He sees the bullets and thinks he's getting a forehead kiss regardless of death grip. I point out the difference in the safety of the Pietta to that of the RR. He cocks it back, acquires his target and slowly pulls the trigger. The rounds we were shooting were pretty stiff reloads and the jaw dropping smile on his face was priceless. The range was pretty full with people standing in back waiting for lanes to open. Many of them stopped to look at what just got fired. He's standing there, ear to ear grin, finger off the trigger and pointed down range. I grab one of the rounds to show the spectators. Some got real wide eyed, the vets just smiled and nodded. He finished that cylinder and I loaded it up again showing him how I fire it single handed. naturally he had to do what his FIL just did and reloaded and shot the next cylinder single handed. It was a state of pure bliss and yet he still did everything safely. He's one heck of a good shot given this was his first real range experience with actual firearms. With the 1911 and SAA and most likely the 709, I could have easily moved the target to the 25 yard mark and he would have still hit with proficiency.
I think we have another shooter in the family. On the ride home he described how he's verty tactile perceptive and Shooting the centerfire pistols hit all the meaningful parts for him. He "got" it about the fun of plinking with 22's and the outright thrill of 45 colt. next step is to a gun show where he can fondle as many handguns as possible to find "the ONE".

This is enabling done RIGHT.

See less See more
#6 ·
Put in a bug report to the administration. I know I typed assessed. Now if you have keystroke footage to support your position, I'm sure the courts would love to see it. :D

#8 ·
Wrong on at least two levels.

1. What red blooded ‘merican boy would not be glad to shoot? Someone else’s gun and ammo? Hell yes!

2. Would not follow, prospective FIL’s suggestion. What next?

#15 ·
It was really a fun day I had to put a few rounds down range because... well I was at a gun range IN a lane with guns. he's really a quick study. It might be because he didn't want to screw up right there in front of his FIL, but I was impressed with his skill and etiquette. His ability to aim properly and put new information into practice was comforting to see. He does have a FPS (first person shooter)gamer background so that would explain his choice for headshots to start off.

#19 ·
It's a very good idea, methinks, to spend time with the new sons- or daughters-in-law if you have shooters in the family.
We ORDERED our sons to marry ONLY gun-savvy ladies, or spend all time necessary teaching them.
They succeeded.
Two of the ladies are hunters and one gets her deer every year. The other is busy raising our grandsons.
One asked for a specific gun for their wedding anniversary. We got it for her: A Desert Eagle .50AE! She's a former fashion model so when she lines up at the ranges she has a lot of attention, and NOT on the gun.
I wanted to upload a slo-mo video of her shooting a full-auto Thompson. Awesome concentration and muzzle control.

Third one is more reluctant, but the nature of her employment has rekindled her interest in self-defense shooting.

#20 ·
Any time that you can light that spark in safe responsible gun ownership and usage, it needs to be lit and gently fanned. For me, it was more a case of knowing I won't live forever and someone's going to have to take that responsibility of protecting her and the home. He comes from a good family and they don't shy away from firearms so he may not have had that full on love of firearms, but more of a dormant desire. I'm just lightly fanning that desire so it remains burning in his heart. My daughter on the other hand is more a crossbow/archery kinda gal. I figure "Hey, at least it's a shooting sport".

#21 · (Edited)
Latest update:
We went to the Fort Worth Gun Show. We spent several hours there and handled a LOT of firearms. He seemed to gravitate to the Canik TP9. He pretty much had his mind made up and it was only the second table of over a hundred that we stopped at. That wasn't good enough for me and we continued to the rest of the tables and I made him handle as many as possible. I think the BFR in 45/70 intimidated him but that was the only one he tended to shy away from. After about a dozen tables, I got him to handle the Beretta 92. He REALLY liked that pistol and it checked off everything he was looking for EXCEPT ONE. He didn't like the slide mounted safety/decocker.... What ever will we do? If only someone made a 92 with the safety/decocker on the frame and not the slide. We spent the next hour trying to find different PT92s. Found one older one from the 80's that the seller was asking for a mortgage to buy (950 bucks) and Then came across one that really jumped out at him (and me). The price was up there but it sure is purdy. Though he prefers the stock black grips. I'll start pricing them out and will finally have a firearm to present to him in his new role.
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

#22 ·
Well today is that day. Received in the pistol from the FFL. I went over it thoroughly and noted a couple of marks that will be used for identification should the S/Ns get removed.
The Presentation went better than expected. The best way I can describe it is picture falling in love with a gun, then a few weeks later getting it gifted to you when you weren't expecting it.
Final price was $545 including FFL. yes, it was pricey but the finish is amazing (and photos do not do it justice).
And now, without further delay The gift of protection from Father to Son In Law (who can legally own and possess firearms)
Brand Logo Label

Technology Airsoft gun Electronic device Electronics Gadget

Electronics Technology Electronic device Hdmi Room

Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Practical shooting

#27 ·
Well today is that day. Received in the pistol from the FFL. I went over it thoroughly and noted a couple of marks that will be used for identification should the S/Ns get removed.
The Presentation went better than expected. The best way I can describe it is picture falling in love with a gun, then a few weeks later getting it gifted to you when you weren't expecting it.
Final price was $545 including FFL. yes, it was pricey but the finish is amazing (and photos do not do it justice).
And now, without further delay The gift of protection from Father to Son In Law (who can legally own and possess firearms)
View attachment 449871
View attachment 449873
View attachment 449875
View attachment 449877
That is absolutely beautiful!

#23 ·
He should have been qualified early in the dating process. I will be cleaning guns when the boy shows up for an early date.

Reactions: jtg452
#24 ·
She was already in her 20's when they started dating. At that point, I really didn't have any say as to what decisions she made. When it came to talking about marriage and wanting me to pay a big chunk of it, I got my say back. I never took a position of antagonist towards her dates. I had to play the "good cop" to get them to talk to me as my wife automatically took the "bad cop" position. What I have found is you can clean guns all day and it won't make any negative impact on a Texan. Sharpening a broadsword on the other hand..... Well, that ramps up the fear factor a bit.

Reactions: jtg452
#28 ·
Maybe I'll have a fake phone call with uncle Tony in NJ if the gun cleaning doesn't work. I suppose some long range targets won't work either?

#29 ·
I'm not in a position where I'd ever have to make a fake phone call. I have several "favors" owed to me. I just hope to God I never have to make one of those calls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.