Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls; and Wild ones of all ages....

I finally got to spend a full 45 minutes on the range alone with my reloads, my 300 Blackout pistol, and my chronograph (naturally, I forgot to bring my Caldwell rest...but the reloading bag with the chrony briefcase on top worked out pretty good...)

All shots were fired from 30 yards (I wanted to make sure I was on paper, and with some of the bullets I was working with, I wasn't taking any chances!).

My goals today were to first, zero my red dot and 3x magnifier:

These first six rounds were 147gr FMJ's loaded with a standard minimum load of IMR4227 for a 150gr fmj bullet from the Hodgedon site.

zeroing shots 147gnFMJ.jpg

The first shot was that lonesome hole up high and to the left, and I aimed roughly at the large diamond on the left. I then adjusted my aim for the small diamond on the left hand target in the lower right hand corner.

I adjusted the red dot and took aim for the same diamond (left target, lower right), this time with 123 gn FMJ's (again a standard minimum IMR4227 load for a comparable bullet):

123gnFMJ.jpg

This gun will shoot - although the standard deviation number was monstrous!

Then I dove right into my experimentals; I still have a couple thousand 123gr 30cal "Zombie" bullets left over from Lucky13 Casting, before they went out of business. They generally don't like velocities over about 1500fps. I had extrapolated a load using Blue Dot powder (I have several lbs of the stuff that I really have no use for, having discovered better powders for the applications I was employing Blue Dot for). A while back I'd found a load with Blue Dot that would actually cycle my SKS and AK, was accurate, and didn't blow my face off (a bonus there) and I figured I's try the same thing with the 300BLK, only start lower, watch for pressure signs, and see if I can find a load that cycles the gun, and provides decent accuracy using primarily polymer coated lead bullets, since the 300BLK is designed for use with lower velocities than an 7.62x39.

The first load was very low, and would not eject the brass. Also, the accuracy was a little lacking:

ZombieBD8.0gn.jpg

As I worked my way up the charge weight, the group seemed to tighten a bit, and the gun began to eject the brass, but would not grab the next round in the mag. For the first three loads, the SD was absolutely horrific, but for the final load, the group tightened up, and the SD dropped precipitously to 14.75:

ZombieBD9.5gn.jpg

There are 5 holes there and the rounds were averaging 1482fps. The question is, will the group open up if I push it any further to the point that the action will cycle? The brass looks great, no signs of anything awry.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also fired a 5 shot group of heavier bullets, also polymer coated lead cast (158gr SNS Casting), but they, strangely enough, averaged a lower velocity than the 123gr "Zombie" bullets, even though I used a full grain more than the max charge I'd used with the 123gr...they were also not very accurate using Blue Dot.

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice groupings at 30 yards. Could you possibly post a picture of your potent pistol?
300BLK final2.jpg

Sad thing is, I was only able to test 7 loads - 35 rounds total. I was also testing mags and feeding, since I initially tried my hand at neck turning on some thick walled cases (Wolf, PMC, A USA...) and wasn't sure how they'd feed. Also, I picked up some really (really) cheap 20 round mags for like $4.00 a while ago, intending on using them as range testing mags if they worked - no anti-tilt follower at all. They work....okay. Unknown how much of it was a chambering issue from funky brass. Later tests will reveal, since I only used potentially out of spec brass for these odd-ball loads (they were my first, then I got a ball gauge to measure neck wall thickness and started really sorting).

Also, there was some question as to how regular mags would work with the 300BLK, as there are some reports of feeding issues using PMAG gen2's. I didn't get to test the PMAG yet, but my milspec aluminum mags from Palmetto State (that I grabbed a TON of during one of their Christmas sales for $5.99 each) worked fine.

Still have almost 3 complete boxes like this to run over the chrony:

20180212_173919.jpg

(I rearranged my ammo after getting a few new boxes - the 1st row on the left is .223, so after this pic, I re-sorted to keep calibers together)

20180218_225700.jpg

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those "Zombie" bullets (the green ones) are notoriously inaccurate for everything I've tried them in beyond about 1400fps so far. In my SKS, they were great at about that velocity, but wouldn't even eject the brass - wouldn't even try. They started working the action at around 1700fps, but the group at 50 yds had opened up to about 10" (so pretty much useless). In several of my bolt guns (Mosin Nagant and Enfield) they are decent shooters up to about 1500fps. Anything over that and the broad side of a barn might be out of the question, so 1500fps from this short barrel and still hitting within a 2" space is not too shabby for my purposes. If I can goose them up enough to cycle while still being able to hit an 8" steel plate at 100yds, I'll shoot 'em. If not...I've been wanting to start casting bullets at some point...

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
Well IF you have ever been to Senoia, Georgia (Zombie Town) you will notice that real Zombies have pretty large heads, so a 10 Inch group will still work on them!---:D

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Super Moderator
40,657 Posts
Thanks for the report. Looks like it was a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Good report. Looking forward to the rest of it.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might be able to slip out to the range this afternoon...put a few more types of bullet and different powders over the chronograph. I am really interested how the sub Sonics perform...

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
I settled on Speer 125 gr TNT HP on top of H110 for my 300 load. I was also using Nosler 125s and Barnes 130s. I had some generic 147 and 150 gr FMJs for range ammo, but settled on the Speer just to simplify finding and keeping reloading components.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts