Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly 1 year and 11 months after Hurricane Irma my roof is finally getting replaced. Roofers started yesterday. Stripping down to the rafters, and everything replaced. Hopefully will be done by the weekend. After that is done I will be able to take care of the final interior damage I had from water leaks during the storm. Did not want to fix that knowing the tarps keeping the water out could have been easily ripped off during any rain storm.

I guess the only good thing about taking so long was I was able to do extra work and odd jobs to pay for the damages without having to tap into my savings or using a credit card.

·
Registered
31,904 Posts
A new roof is good to have. I managed to get a free roof for my house by contracting 7 other roofs last year. Mine wasn't leaking but had a lot of age on it.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Down to the rafters?
What kind of roof? My cousin's house has a metal roof on Dauphin island AL. It was a year old for Katrina and was fine unlike most of the island.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Down to the rafters?
What kind of roof? My cousin's house has a metal roof on Dauphin island AL. It was a year old for Katrina and was fine unlike most of the island.
I had a wood roof with 30 year asphalt shingles. The wood was that cheap particle board stuff that I can't believe was approved for roof structure especially in humid areas.

New roof will be 3/4" CDX and Kynar 500 coated 5V crimp metal.

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
I'll be doing a roof in a few years. I'd think metal, had a metal roof in Port Lavaca that lasted two hurricanes so far and the guy still has the metal on it. But, I'm not in a hurricane zone being 70 miles inland and if I put a 30 year roof on it, I likely won't live another 30 years.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
31,904 Posts
I had a wood roof with 30 year asphalt shingles. The wood was that cheap particle board stuff that I can't believe was approved for roof structure especially in humid areas.

New roof will be 3/4" CDX and Kynar 500 coated 5V crimp metal.
Insurance companies have a lot to do with what materials are used in various areas. I agree with you completely.

One product that should be outlawed in areas of humidity extremes, like Lubbock has, is Pressure treated Lumber and decking of any kind, unless bolted to the slab as a bottom framing plate, should not be allowed. That stuff just wants to go everywhere (at least in Lubbock).

Everytime I see someone in any home improvent store with a cart loaded with the stuff, I want to ask what kind of project they are doing and go into a rant on why they need to put it back and step up to the plate for cedar or redwood, but I don't as I practically live in Home improvent stores as many remodels as I am doing. Pressure treated wood products work well in heavy humidity areas, but we have from 17% average humidity and from there to a 100%. Few wood products hold up on the exterior here.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
My insurance company replaced my roof several years ago due to a hail storm. They paid for the roof and for the damage to the interior.

Doesn't your insurance cover your inside?

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Congratulations Fish!!!! It's about dang time!!! So happy for you!!!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
It's looking pretty wet down there this morning, I hope everything holds and you have no further water damage.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,941 Posts
Well so much for the nightly starry vista. But that’s better than the rude rain drops in the middle of the night.
:D

I glad you will finally dry out.
:hand2:

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Down to the rafters?
LOL, roofs are not the problem on Dauphin Island. The only headlands are around the Coast Guard station, the rest of the island is shifting sand, so it is not unusual to find your house several hundred yards out in the water after a hurricane. I grew up in Mobile. People coming in from other distant lands have completely screwed up the island. They charge you to get on the public beaches now, and have restricted access to the West End where all the good fishing is located. Too many rules now for what used to be a wild place as I was growing up.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
A new roof? A SINGLE roof? Heh, I've had 4 roofs on my house in the last 22 years. All due to hail damage.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, I used to live in Highland Village. The Dallas area has extreme weather. When it is cold, it is extremely cold. When it is wet, it is extremely wet. When it is hot it is extremely hot. When it is dry, it is extremely dry. There is no in between, only extremes.

When we moved there my wife was upset because of the lack of tall trees. She was mad at me for a while. But I explained in my defense that this was Texas and anything over waist high was considered a tree.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My insurance company replaced my roof several years ago due to a hail storm. They paid for the roof and for the damage to the interior.

Doesn't your insurance cover your inside?
Wind insurance in Florida is pretty crappy high deductibles and everything is prorated for its age regardless of the condition it was in. At this point I am not sure it is worth having wind insurance anymore.

Reactions: Ickthus

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's looking pretty wet down there this morning, I hope everything holds and you have no further water damage.
Supervisor showed up at 7:30 this morning to meet the roof inspector for the sheathing and felt/tar paper (or what ever they use these days) inspection. It rained all night last night and he assured me that everything was water tight before they left as they knew rain was moving in. They even had a make shift drip edge from the paper that was placed over the sheathing that would get trimmed off before they put down the aluminum drip edge and metal.

So far I am impressed with their work, the two days they have been there when I got home from work all the mess was cleaned up, other than the dump truck and trailer full of the old roof you can not tell they were there working.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Roofer called, he finished around 2 PM today. :) Leaving work now to go look it over and pay him.

·
Super Moderator
36,040 Posts
A new roof? A SINGLE roof? Heh, I've had 4 roofs on my house in the last 22 years. All due to hail damage.
Wind insurance in Florida is pretty crappy high deductibles and everything is prorated for its age regardless of the condition it was in. At this point I am not sure it is worth having wind insurance anymore.
Funny...a neighbor just tonight was telling me that other people on the block who recently bought a house in TX were saying that they are paying 5,000 for insurance. Because of potential wind damage to roofs. I nodded politely and thought that they were spinning a yarn. If that were the case, TX went way down the list of places for relocation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts