Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dreams DO come true and I have finally got half of my dream pair of USPSA competition pistols, a Taurus PT1911 in 38 Super with no bling, no gold or silver embellishments, utilitarian blue/black, and ready to rock!!! All you Super 38s out there, let me know about ammo selection, what works, what doesn't, bonus if you are a competitive shooter, I want to make Major, of course. Trigger...what is the best sear job tool out there? What are the best magazines for you and why? I know we have some 1911 38 Super experts here, please share some of your knowledge.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Congrats on the new gun ! There are a few guys here that love the 38 Super, and I'm sure they'll be around shortly.

Reactions: Trotline

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
GEEEEZZ!
who da hell talked you in to buying a 1911 in THAT caliber??---

Can't answer some of your questions, some I can.
first I use any number of different magazines, Taurus, Metalform, Mec-gar, Colt, etc
they all work for me.
as to making major the best advice is get a chrony, or a friend that has one and work up loads to your needs.
that brings me to the other part of this equation--Reload!
you can reload the 38 Super for the same price that you can reload the 9 MM, for me that's in the ball park of 6.25-6.50 per box of 50.
buying factory ammo that makes major if possible will likely be expensive, I do understand that some specialty companies do load this however.
Myself I load and shoot a 124 grain hollow point in all my 38 Supers and find that accuracy is very slightly better than a 115 round nose.
reloadable brass will be the hardest thing to come by, everything else is the same a 9 MM.
hope this helps some.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GEEEEZZ!
who da hell talked you in to buying a 1911 in THAT caliber??---

Can't answer some of your questions, some I can.
first I use any number of different magazines, Taurus, Metalform, Mec-gar, Colt, etc
they all work for me.
as to making major the best advice is get a chrony, or a friend that has one and work up loads to your needs.
that brings me to the other part of this equation--Reload!
you can reload the 38 Super for the same price that you can reload the 9 MM, for me that's in the ball park of 6.25-6.50 per box of 50.
buying factory ammo that makes major if possible will likely be expensive, I do understand that some specialty companies do load this however.
Myself I load and shoot a 124 grain hollow point in all my 38 Supers and find that accuracy is very slightly better than a 115 round nose.
reloadable brass will be the hardest thing to come by, everything else is the same a 9 MM.
hope this helps some.
It does indeed, thank you.

Several additional questions, if I may, 1st, have you used Tripp Research magazines? if so, are they easier to clean?
2nd, Have you used 10mm magazines loaded with 38 Super? Another site has someone claiming this as the hot setup, considering the difference in magazine followers, it seems sketchy advice.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
It does indeed, thank you.

Several additional questions, if I may, 1st, have you used Tripp Research magazines? if so, are they easier to clean?
2nd, Have you used 10mm magazines loaded with 38 Super? Another site has someone claiming this as the hot setup, considering the difference in magazine followers, it seems sketchy advice.
have not used Tripp in any magazine.
well I have used a 10 MM mag in my 38 Super, cause I carried a 1911 38 super to the range with 2 1911 45 acp mags.
that will NOT work as they squirt out the top due to the width of the feed lips.
I was able to borrow a 10 MM mag from the range, they of course had no 38 Super mags and 9 MM mags have a spacer and so the 38 boolletts won't fit.
the 10 MM mag functioned I would guess about 98% of the time but still would occasionally get a double feed.
I can't honestly see any advantage of using 10 MM mag in a 38 super, generally speaking the only difference in 1911 mags are the spacing of the feed lips?
perhaps there is something that I am missing on this?
now I use strictly factory 38 Super semi rimmed cases, this may be different in the competition non rimmed cases?
again I have never experienced a single feed issue with the semi rimmed cases but I have read of problems with them feeding in the magazines, never talked with anyone that had that problem however.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Congrats! I love shooting my .38 super(s).I have never had a magazine hiccup either.I currently have them in Colt,Taurus,and Springfield.
Can't help with load info as I don't reload.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Go into your backyard and lay 666 .38 Super cartridges in a circle around you, head stamp towards the inside. Brand doesn't matter but they must be loaded cartridges. Swing a black cat by the tail over your head in a circle 3 1/2 times at the stroke of midnight while chanting "Super Caliber Frangible Ballistic".

Don't over-think it. As long as the cat is swinging and your chanting when midnight strikes you're good. After this you will win every match. OK you'll grow hair on your palms also, but it's a small price to pay.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
AGREED!
well except I use a Calico cat, you know because Black Cats Lives Matter and I don't want to swing one of them around and be on the u tube/ face book or video.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
AGREED!
well except I use a Calico cat, you know because Black Cats Lives Matter and I don't want to swing one of them around and be on the u tube/ face book or video.
Dude, that's for 9mm's!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Tripp Research Mags IMO are the best 1911 mags you can buy. The TR sear Jig is the best sear jig, you can buy them through Harrison Design, buy the HD 806 jig

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
Dude, that's for 9mm's!
well of course I knew that!
but see I use a really, really long calico cat.
someone said the only real difference in the 9 MM and 38 Super was the length?
so I figured that would work with the cat as well?

Attachments

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Only you would know if that worked. Do your hands look like this?

54_hand--roses.jpg

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
Only IF I don't go to my hand barber every two weeks!----

·
Registered
24,898 Posts
Length Matters!!!!!

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
well hopefully Trotline has gotten all the info that he needs on the 38 Super, cats , choices, witch craft, hand barbers, counting to 666, making a circle and standing inside it.
IF not we are still standing by to help!

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
With 38 super, you can load from mild to wild with bullet weights from about 90 gr up to 147 gr. For competitive shooting, I would look at loading with Hornady HAP rounds, either 115 gr or 125 gr. As far as the 1911 itself, clean it and shoot it but don't start off with all sorts of parts replacements. Get a feel for the girl before you try to change her.

·
Registered
36,916 Posts
I believe that the original loading for the 38 Auto and 38 Super was a 130 grain projectile, not that really makes any difference.
I personally find that for some reason the 124 grain is a very small tad more accurate than the 115, but then again I am shooting un supported so?
HAP projectiles are a great choice for competition, after all that is exactly what they were designed for.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Dunno how we got this far without somebody posting this...

:nopics:

Congratulations on your acquisition of a PT1911 in .38 Super Auto.

Reactions: Plano Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Having switched from the .45 ACP to the .38 Super for bowling pin shooting a few years back ... thanks to old age and tendonitis ... here are a few things I've learned. I don't profess to be an expert on the topic, however:

Ammunition - As several have noted, you really need to reload. Not only is factory ammo less than abundant, it really can be all over the map as far as "performance". Some are really warm ... others are more 9mm-ish. Not that you need to run wide open, but you do want consistency, especially since you'll want to use a recoil spring that matches the load you're using.

I've reloaded up to 165 grain bullets (again, for bowling pins - where heavy bullets work better). I've loaded as light as 124 grain. Again, as others have noted, you should be ok with even lighter.

Be careful of using range brass. Some guys push the Super too hard. It can bulge the cases and weaken them. It can also be difficult to resize a bulged case enough to get it to chamber. I start with new Starline cases and get great brass life.

Data - As much as I'm not a fan of the Lee reloading manual as a whole, it has more .38 Super loads in one spot than anything else I've seen. I have rev 1. Presumably the current rev (rev 2?) maintains this data. Much (if not all) is collected from other sources (such as powder manufacturers) - and many of these manufacturers no longer publish their older loads (either in print or online). The Western Powders manual also has lots of loads ... but only for Accurate and Ramshot powder.

Magazines - Since you asked, I only use Tripp Research magazines. I had trouble with some other mags early on and someone suggested Tripp. I bought a half dozen and they've been perfect. But I haven't tried a lot of other stuff out there - and some shooters have complete success with just about any mag. The .38 Super seems to be funny that way.

More questions? Let us know.

dogfood

1 - 20 of 48 Posts