Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 1911 guy and weekends or anytime casual, like untucked shirt or light jacket, etc I carry my full size 5" 1911s. I had an RIA 4" 1911 for the office tucked in, button up shirt deal. As much as I love the 1911, the 4" model IWB and tuckable was miserable for me. I gave it 6 months and it was all I could take. I don't like a 1911 IWB with the hammer and beaver tail piercing my love handles everytime I move. I still keep my M851 .38 on my ankle though. ;) Made no sense to keep the 4" if I wasn't gonna carry it because my 5"ers double as range and carry weapons and I probably wouldn't take the 4" to the range and it had GI sights to boot.

I traded my RIA 4" straight up for a well taken care of '09 24/7 Pro DS in .45acp last night. I didn't really care about cash in either direction. I maybe coulda got a little cash out of the guy but he had what I wanted and I had what he wanted and we're both happy so it was a good deal. LOL!

This is only my second venture into the plastic striker type pistol. I like steel and a hammer. I had a 709 Slim that was a great gun and a dream to carry, but I eventually sold it. I'm just not a 9mm fan and I quit reloading them and I just couldn't mate with that split trigger thingy. I did want a plastic gun though because the only IWB holster that's comfortable to me is the Crossbreed but that kydex was ruining the finish on my 1911s. Now I don't worry about it.

Observations so far:
Very easy to breakdown and strip.
Accurate and groups well
Smooth crisp trigger
Feels so much lighter (may weigh more but feels lighter so I'm happy)
Nice not having a trigger and beaver tail dig into me IWB
Grip doesn't print out the back of my shirt allowing me to move the gun back to a more comfortable position.
12+1 Rnds of .45acp
I like the sights

Only negative so far is it won't hand cycle my cast lead RN reloads. My Berry copper plated reloads hand cycle fine. My cast won't eject and get hung up on the hood. I did a search last night here and others have mentioned this. Some just used more force and solved it. Mine just locks up. Shoots them fine and ejects spent brass. I make my .45s with an OAL of 1.270-1.271 and since I have quite a bit of OAL to play with, I'll move it down to 1.265 and it will probably do the trick.

Brad

·
Registered
548 Posts
Congrats on the new 24/7!!!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Congrats and hope you enjoy it.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your trade for the 24/7 .45 ACP pistol.

I had one for a while and never had one issue with. Eventually I traded it to a friend for his Taurus PT740 Slim. Both of us went home happy, too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I did make a batch of ammo with the shorter OAL and they shot fine, maybe even a touch more accurate. Still won't hand cycle (like to unload the pistol) but they shoot and cycle fine during live fire. I do have the dreaded mag drop after every shot and for some reason the decocking mechanism doesn't work. I guess she'll go to Miami.

Brad

ETA: Nothing wrong with the decocking device. I was doing it wrong.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what kind of brain freeze caused me to forget how to use the decocking feature!(?) For some reason I thought you racked the slide, engaged the safety, disengaged the safety and you were in DA. Now that I think deeper, that makes no sense. LOL! If someone wanted to rack the slide, engage the safety and disengage it in time of need for SA, they'd be putting it in DA.

The only other decocker I've owned was a Ruger P345 but I like the way Taurus has designed theirs. It's a conscious effort and it's less scary (to my brain). I'm carrying it in first shot DA until I feel more comfortable with the gun. It will wind up in SA w/ safety engaged. I'm used to 1911 cocked and locked.

I'm reading where this 24/7 is 28oz compared to the 1911 i was carrying at 32oz, but the weight difference seems way more than 4oz difference. The 24/7 "feels" so much lighter. The grip is definitely easier to keep from printing and I love not having a hammer and beaver tail not digging into my side. Mid+ size gun with 12 rnds of .45acp and easy to carry is nice.

Still need to fix this mag drop deal, but not sure I want it to go to Miami for just that.

Brad

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Glad you like it, they are great shooting weapons!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice pick up. I've got one and I love it. First firearm I purchased myself

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrats on your 24/7....enjoy