Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a few years since I started on this reloading project and countless hours of research.
I finally have all the equipment I need.
It took over 5 months for my box of 100 Hornady .452 330GR HP XTP mag bullets to arrive.
They always tell me its has to do with Hornady and delays at customs.

I have the following:
Powders: Unique, H110, and TITEGroup
Primers: Winchester Large rifle magnum and small rifle. CCI #250 large rifle magnum and #400 small rifle.
Brass: Starline .454
Bullets: 45 cal .452 300 GR HP XTP MAG 45 cal .452 250 GR HP XTP (on the way)

My Gun is a Taurus .454 Raging bull 8 3/8 revolver.

My goal is to tailor the best all around bullets for my specific gun for:

Target shooting, varmint and possibly defense (something in the range of a colt .45 or low pressure .454, im thinking of .45 loads in the .454 brass) Using the 45 cal .452 300 GR HP XTP. But I have heard that there are issues with 45 caliber loads in .454 Starline brass. Something about the thickness of Starline brass it wont form a proper seal in the chamber in .45 loads... is this true or can anybody offer some advice here ?

The next is a heavier hunting, defense load: The 45 cal .452 300 GR HP XTP MAG
I want to load this as a general purpose .454 load im aiming for best overall performance in this round.

For a ball busting + pressure round im looking at some heavy cast bullets but ill get into that after I perfect these first two.

The primers... I just didnt know what to do... I baught what I did to test for myself. The problem is there are too many opinions here about which is the best primer for this load.
Winchester or CCI small rifle or large magnum rifle.

Some say one works well but another is too hot or some arent hot enough to get a clean burn or too ignite the powder. Also theres an issue of some wont ignite at low outside temperatures.

Here its either cold or bloody cold and I want a clean safe reliable burn for both .45 colt and .454 any thoughts here ? I will likely try all the above so long as its safe and see what works best so let me know if any of these combinations are unsafe please.

To sum it up I want a good accurate target round without a lot of bite for long days of target practice. A top performing well rounded .454 load for target, hunting and defense.

I will start with min loads and work my way up using a chroney and track the accuracy and speed of each round.

ATM im told that there is a large shipment of Hornady (my preferred ammo) in stock. Before its all gone I would like to get the test rounds worked out so I can buy and load a thousand or so rounds of each final selection.

Any thoughts on this would be a great help ! thanks all !

PS I also have several reloading manuals including the latest Hornady and Speer. I mostly want to know im on the right track here and wont blow my hand off or something.

Thanks again !

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't know about 454's but when I took my first box of reloaded 9s out two weeks ago I was a bit apprehensive when I pulled the trigger on the first one. Don't know if that's happened to anyone else. Once I realized I wasn't going to blow my hand off it was smooth sailing from there on out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dont go below the minimum start loads for 454. The brass is thicker and it will NOT expand and seal off the chamber. Get some 45 Colt brass and load it up with some 250gr bullets. You'll have much less frustration.

As for the primers, 454 Casull uses SMALL rifle primers. You don't have to use magnum primers, but some say they help with incomplete burns for lighter loads. Either way, those large primers you have should be saved for the 45 Colt brass :rolleyes:

edit: 45 colt uses large PISTOL primers, non-magnum. You might want to try and find someone to trade those large magnum rifle primers to. More research is probably needed there.

·
Registered
31,693 Posts
If something like this happens, your loads are too hot!

atomic-bombs-download-wallpapers.jpg

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
I don't do 454 but generally the type of powder determines what primer to use (standard or magnum) in loading 357/41/ 44 magnum if using certain powders (that normally give the highest velocity) such as H-110 / Win. 296 then the manual will denote the use of magnum primers.
Now when i reloaded wildcat pistols (30 & 35 herritt) if i used rifle/shotgun powder and rifle primers I used standard primers not magnum primers.
Now if i used 296 or h-110 then i used magnum pistol primers.
don't know if this helps a bit or not but hopefully so.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehe thanks guys! Yeah im trying to not blow up my gun or hand. I think I havent started yet because im a little paranoid.
If seems I can use small rifle or magnum. What I dont understand is that a small rifle magnum or large rifle magnum ?
I have Starline .454 brass and it has taken over 5 months so far to arrive. I would like to do both .45 Colt and .454 in the .454 brass to save cash and for simplicity but would it really be best to get seperate brass for the .45 Colt ?
45 cal .452 300 GR HP XTP MAG is a good choice for .454 rounds and 45 cal .452 250 GR HP XTP is good for .45 Colt correct ? Im just wondering which I should be ordering more of right away.
If I went with these bullets in the Starline brass and used say winchester primers which powder would probably be my best choice from the ones that I have listed?
I have also read that I should be able to reload the .45 Colt at least 5-10 times before the brass wears out, is this correct ?

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Get your manuals and read them carefully before starting. For pistol and revolver rounds, use the pistol primers; use rifle primers in rounds for the rifle. The main difference between rifle and pistol primers is hardness of the primer cup metal. Pistol primers are a bit softer than rifle primers. I have used Winchester Universal Primers (used for both standard and magnum loads) with no problems with H-110 or 296 leaving unburnt powder grains behind. I wouldn't go below the minimum load but don't exceed the maximum, either. You should approach maximum loads with great caution and stop if you see signs of pressure.

Use Unique for your target loads and H-110 for the hunting loads. Look at the recommended powders for optimum performance for the .454 and note what was used as the test-gun platform. I wouldn't bother with the "ball bustin'" loads unless you are into pain and suffering. All you will do is wear you out and prove nothing.

·
Registered
199 Posts
454 Casull uses small RIFLE primers. 45 Colt uses large pistol primers. They are different diameters, the large and small, so you will not be able to seat a small primer in a 45 Colt case or a large primer in a 454 case. I highly recommend using 45 Colt cases for the Colt loadings. You will also need 2 different powders for the 2 rounds you want to load. I use AA #5 for 45 Colt, but that's because I use it a lot for 9mm and didn't bother looking for a better powder.

Your bullet selection is just fine, so long was you're using the magnum bullets in the 454's. For 45 Colt, you're probably wasting money on the JHP's if you're just making practice rounds. I really like X-treme Bullets' 255gr FP in my Colt reloads.

I also recommend Lyman's 49th. Read the front part as well as the load data and cross reference all data against the powder manufacturer's.

Welcome to the club :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts