Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

So my PT745 showed up, SA/DA but with the figure 8 sights- I have never used these- will give them a whirl this weekend, but if they do not turn out well, what is the best source for regular 3 dot sights for them if I am forced to replace them.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
You could order a 2 dot rear sight from Taurus, or go with the Williams fire sights. I have them on my PT-145 as do a lot of people on the forum. They work great for me.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Here's the thing about the heinie straight eights - they're setup so the strike of the round hits inside the dot, rather than on top and in the center of the front sight blade. I put Williams Fire Sights on it, but they're the same height as the stockers so it doesn't cure the poa/poi thing. I think they have an adjustable rear now, so it may not be an issue anymore. The other thing I don't like about the firesights is that they're made out of aluminum. HiViz sells steel sights, and the front sight is .030" lower than the stocker so it fixes the poi problem. I didn't particularly care for the length of the front sight though, and it's a bit dim compared to the Williams. It's overmolded in polymer though, so it's a much tougher sight. I finally got rid of the HiViz front in favor of a Wilson Combat tritium inserted front with a height of .170". The Wilson is made for the rounded slide of a 1911, so when you put it on a flat top slide there's a .020" gap under the sight which puts the overall height at .190" - same as the HiViz front. If I had it to do over again I would have left the stock rear sight in place, and just replaced the front with the Wilson.

I thought the fiber optic sights were great until two things happened. The first was when I shot one of the light tubes out on the range. It wasn't a big deal to fix, and Williams sent me new tubes for free - but still. The second thing (and this was the deal killer) was when I was standing out in my backyard about 2:00 a.m. letting the dogs do their thing one very dark and foggy night. Through the fog, and no more than a hundred yards away I heard seven gunshots. Too close for comfort, so I did a quick weapons check and found I couldn't see the fiber optic sights at all. Tritium doesn't have that problem, and even just putting tritium up front is sufficient. When I'm practicing for defensive shooting I only look at the front sight anyway, so the rear wasn't a requirement for me. My $.02

·
Registered
19 Posts
Or you can get those stick on nightsight dots if you end up prefering the heine. And yes the williams rear is now adjustable with a dial. I may take your advice on the front tritium too if i have an issue on the front.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Or you can get those stick on nightsight dots if you end up prefering the heine.
Those are fluorescent, which means they have to be charged with a light source and immediately begin to go dim. Like the dial of a watch. Since pistols generally live in the dark, they're probably going to be pretty much discharged in the event they're needed. Tritium is radioactive, and will glow for about twelve years. Then you have to change out your sight.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Straight eight sights are designed as combat sights and once you get used to them they are much faster. Many people just don't give them a chance. The front sight is easy to pick up and during rapid fire they are fast to acquire. They are not target sights but will get he job done in combat. I shoot both and after practice I can go from one to another with no problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Straight 8's are similar to using the 3-dots on my 945, put the front dot where you want to hit it. God knows i would jump for joy if my RIA had them instead of those GI "sights", but i'll just have to deal with those until i come across a set that i like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you post a picture of the Wilson Combat front night site on your Taurus...that sounds like a good option...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also- what is the height of the stock sight from the figure 8s? So I know, in case POI is different I know what direction to go, up or down...

Thanks!

C

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Or you can get those stick on nightsight dots if you end up prefering the heine. And yes the williams rear is now adjustable with a dial. I may take your advice on the front tritium too if i have an issue on the front.
The Nightsighters are the glow-in-the-dark dots. Problem is, if you carry the weapon concealed they don't ever get charged up by sunlight and when you look at them at night they will be dark. They do stay in place nicely especially after you apply a little extra of the supplied cement. I use them on a number of my handguns but don't rely on them glowing in the dark. If I have a bump in the night noise outside or the dogs start barking I take out my AR platform which has a laser. The laser has been sighted in at about 35 yards.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Also- what is the height of the stock sight from the figure 8s? So I know, in case POI is different I know what direction to go, up or down...

Thanks!

C
The rear sight is .225" tall, and the front is .220".

I'm going to take issue with those who say straight 8's are fast for SD shooting. When I'm shooting for speed I take a proper purchase on the pistol so it's aligned correctly, and when it's time to "go" I just put the front sight about 8" low of where I want the round to hit and pull the trigger. If you're fiddling around trying to align ANY kind of sights it's going to take longer than it needs to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! Have loaded about 300 rounds for this weekend, figure once I figure out POI I can go up or down with front sight height.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Thank you! Have loaded about 300 rounds for this weekend, figure once I figure out POI I can go up or down with front sight height.
Here's the formula - needed change in poi X sight radius ÷ range in inches (900 for 25 yards) = needed change in sight height. And trust me on this - if you change them your going to be going with a lower front sight. The stocker is too tall to begin with, IMHO. If you decide to go with a wilson front remember to subtract the .020" for the gap under the sight from the sight height. i.e. if you want a .190" front, then a .170" wilson will do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts