Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fiber optic rod in my front sight blade (Taurus 605 Protector Poly) broke recently. When I phoned Taurus CS, I was told there was no replacement in stock for my gun model - and essentially won't be. I then asked for the diameter measurement so I could order my own replacement fiber optic rod through a 3rd party, but was told that they had no access to the schematic for that figure.

Given the popularity of fiber optic inserts and the varying sizes across gun models, the fact that they aren't too difficult to replace and the fact that there are several 3rd party online stores that sell varying sizes of these fiber optic rods....

Would it be nice to have a listing of the fiber optic rod diameters for the various Taurus models that use them?

Or possibly the schematics in .pdf perhaps?

Maybe the need to replace these fiber optic rods isn't a very common thing. But if it is, it would be nice to be able to order the replacement rods with confidence knowing the correct diameter.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. I hope this didn't come across too "whiny". Sometimes helpful ideas spring from less than helpful situations. I definitely intended for this to be a positive idea. :D

·
5,686 Posts
Here is a universal kit, but I'm still searching.

FIBER OPTIC REPLACEMENT RODS | Brownells

After doing some searching. It appears that the diameter is pretty much the same in all sights (but I'm not 100% sure yet) There are a lot of universal kits, where you can also get the fiber optic rode in long lengths and cut them to the size you need. I will continue to research this, but here is another site with a universal 'kit'.

TRUGLO Replacement Fiber Optic Rod 5.5 x .060 Green Orange Red Ruby

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-306/Fiber-Optic-Rod-Replacement/Detail

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MissKitty! I actually ordered a TRUGLO set of 5 / 5.5" rods at .078" (a hair less than 2mm) diameter. For my Taurus 605, when I looked at the rod diameter across a metric ruler, it came real close to 2mm. As I was searching for replacement materials, it turns out they sell .040", .060", .078", .079" (and also listed in mm such as .25mm, .50mm, .75mm, 1.0mm, 1.5mm and up). I also noticed a variety of firearms listed with some of these differing sizes on them. So in all fairness, I am not so certain there is a universal diameter.

Here are some of the places I checked:

Fluorescent Fiber Products

B
rownells (multi-sizes listed on this link)

M
idwayUSA (the kit I actually ordered - wanted the chance to test different colors)

A
nd here's a
that shows a simple process of replacing a fiber optic rod (the principles of which I'm sure can be applied to most any type of sight with fiber optic rods).

P.S. MissKitty, is that video you embedded on your reply? I just see a black box. I tried to use the Youtube embedding in the forum editor myself and only get a black box. Maybe I have something turned off in my forum settings? Just curious.

·
5,686 Posts
P.S. MissKitty, is that video you embedded on your reply? I just see a black box. I tried to use the Youtube embedding in the forum editor myself and only get a black box. Maybe I have something turned off in my forum settings? Just curious.
It's possible, but I'd have to check our setting to be sure. I can see the embedded video.

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I hope it works out for you. If you do get to watch the video I posted, you'll see that it probably doesn't really matter if you get the diameter perfect. The guy uses a lighter to melt the fiber optic rod so it forms a ball at the end and wont fall out of the hole. I'm sure as long as it fit the hole without a lot of play it would be fine. Doesn't appear to be perfect rocket science at all. I got the universal part from the brownells site, where it says 'make model' it's listed 'universal'. lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's possible, but I'd have to check our setting to be sure. I can see the embedded video.

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I hope it works out for you. If you do get to watch the video I posted, you'll see that it probably doesn't really matter if you get the diameter perfect. The guy uses a lighter to melt the fiber optic rod so it forms a ball at the end and wont fall out of the hole. I'm sure as long as it fit the hole without a lot of play it would be fine. Doesn't appear to be perfect rocket science at all. I got the universal part from the brownells site, where it says 'make model' it's listed 'universal'. lol

Front sight: Fiber Optic Insert Replacement - YouTube
Awesome! You make a good point about how it could still fit after heating up the end. I can now see your embedded video too. I wonder if that is because I am on a different ISP now? Oh well. No biggie. But indeed, thank you for your input on this. It is very encouraging. I will post back as to the luck I have with the size I ordered. I now hope it isn't too big... lol.

Reactions: MissKitty

·
5,686 Posts
Awesome! You make a good point about how it could still fit after heating up the end. I can now see your embedded video too. I wonder if that is because I am on a different ISP now? Oh well. No biggie. But indeed, thank you for your input on this. It is very encouraging. I will post back as to the luck I have with the size I ordered. I now hope it isn't too big... lol.
Good luck and please keep us posted on how it turns out. I'm sure this thread will come in handy for someone else with the same issue. I do my best to try and help where I can. Somethings I know about, somethings I don't, but researching and trying to help folks also helps me. So thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welper, my .078" (2mm) fiber optic rods arrived yesterday evening and voila... they are way too big... :D

The .060" might fit, but I am going to call Taurus Customer Service again today and nicely insist that they take down my name, phone and email address and look up the doggone diameter and get that number back to me.

And so the saga continues... :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke with Melody of Taurus Customer Service this morning. She was prepared to let me order the replacements from her. She said that they have them and sell them. But then I told her that I was told by the last customer service person that for the 605 Protector Poly, they were not only out of stock, but would not be expected to be in stock ever again. She said, "oh".

So for the second time in our conversation, I very nicely asked her to please take my name and contact information and please make the effort to obtain that answer from the manufacturing dept. I suggested to her that I understood that she is in a separate dept. and that the schematics and other certain details might not be at her fingertips, but that the measurement certainly has to be known by the very company that manufactures the gun and that with a little interdepartmental communication, she should be able to track it down.

She took my info and agreed to process my query as requested. She indicated I should have a reply in 1 or 2 business days.

Here's to hoping. Otherwise, I will make a phone call or two to some local gunsmiths or even jewelers to see if will measure the thing for me. ;)

My goal is to avoid buying a nanometer or whatever it might be called to measure it myself and to avoid placing yet another order for rods that might turn out too wide in diameter. Thank you for bearing with me. :cool:

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
The Fibers in Fiber optic sights like on the 605's aren't really fiber optics. They're acrylic light tubes. You can theoretically use something similar to a hot glue gun to melt similar acrylic and re-inject the tube. Harbor freight also makes a plastic welding kit that would work to replace the light tube.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nice suggestion Peacemakr40. I've noticed that it didn't particularly "light up" like a fiber optic rod (especially now that I have a bunch of .078" diameter TRUGLO fiber optic rods... lol).

Well, a friend loaned me his caliper, but it only went down to 1/32 of an inch - yet still the measurement was incredibly close to 1/16 which convert to .063" (.0625 actually). I phoned TRUGLO directly (not midwayusa.com where I bought them) and told them my story and the measurement that I came up with. The customer service rep is sending me a set of 3 .060" (a fairly common size for sights it seems) rods in red... free! I'll return my .078" soon.

So I will report back how well the .060" worked (or didn't). I believe they will... but then again.... ya never know till ya know. :D

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yep - I've got 3 fiber pipe sights and they are all different sizes. I'm surprised by the stiff arm CS Taurus gave you. It is such a common occourance that most companies have the size committed to memory. 2 of the 3 I have sent me extra pipe in the correct dia. gratis. I bought the 3rd as it was readily apparent. Have you installed one yet? I slowly heat a long length on one end stopping when a ball forms then i insert it in the sight, estimate how much I need for ball #2 to form, snip to that length - slowly heat it unti it enlarges and when it cools it will be locked right in place. I keep spares in my range bag with a butane lighter. It's a quick fix in the shop or field and it would be a pity to shoot with or drop out due to a broken sight.

My 709 has the .10 TRUGLO front universal sight. It is an improvement over stoc - gets the eye on the front sight a little more quickly ( for me) - it's not an ultimate solution but I'll take a little help where I can find it!

Reactions: Zenmag

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yep - I've got 3 fiber pipe sights and they are all different sizes. I'm surprised by the stiff arm CS Taurus gave you. It is such a common occourance that most companies have the size committed to memory. 2 of the 3 I have sent me extra pipe in the correct dia. gratis. I bought the 3rd as it was readily apparent. Have you installed one yet? I slowly heat a long length on one end stopping when a ball forms then i insert it in the sight, estimate how much I need for ball #2 to form, snip to that length - slowly heat it unti it enlarges and when it cools it will be locked right in place. I keep spares in my range bag with a butane lighter. It's a quick fix in the shop or field and it would be a pity to shoot with or drop out due to a broken sight.

My 709 has the .10 TRUGLO front universal sight. It is an improvement over stoc - gets the eye on the front sight a little more quickly ( for me) - it's not an ultimate solution but I'll take a little help where I can find it!
Haven't received my .060" pack yet, but I have seen the vids on replacing these rods just as you described. Should be fairly straight forward. Actually I'm hoping the TUGLO replacement will "glow" notably brighter than the OEM rod. I had read where TRUGLO sent someone a variety pack (various diameters) for free in a forum post elsewhere found by Googling. That's why I called TRUGLO direct hoping they would do that for me - but on the first call they pretty much insisted I get a measurement then call back. Still worked out. Can't wait to get them!

P.S. I "should" hear something back from Taurus on that size by the way. I'll update here how that turns out.. or doesn't. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still waiting for the TruGlo complimentary fiber optic rods. So I still can't confirm if .060" will fit the 605 Poly - yet.

But since my post here went in many directions... I would like to summarize my original suggestion as follows:

Post a sticky list of fiber optic replacement rod sizes for all Taurus products that use them.

Where that info will come from exactly is a bit beyond me at this point though. :)
Hence, room for more suggestions. :D

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Just one more reason I don't like fiber optic sights on a carry pistol, they are fragile.

As far as customer service, when I get someone who quickly pushes me aside, or ignores my issues just to get me off the phone, I just wait a little while and call back. If the same jerk answers I hang up and I keep doing this until I get someone cooperative on the phone. So far I have not had to do that with Taurus, but I do it all the time with AT&T.

Also, I hate those computer menus that will try and send you all over the place without ever actually putting you through to a live person....well I just start keying in "0" in rapid succession until I break the software. A human usually answers after that to see what the problem is. I do that all the time with my Tricare (Army health insurance). It saves me time and drives them crazy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which reminds me, Taurus CS never got back with me after they agreed to contact the dept. that has the schematics - which lists the diameters. lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
For my old eyes, I replace the .060"(1.5mm) rods with 2mm rods. I use a 5/64 bit and drill the holes a little bigger, cut the tube to size, put a dab of super glue in the front hole and melt the other end with a match. This holds the tube in place and also increases the viewing end.
Denny

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Zenmag - take a trip to Harbor Freight and grab a set of digital calipers.

I'm glad that you found a replacement. I have the tubes on a number of guns and all told they are in 3 different sizes. They do break! I keep a selection in my range bag with a butane lighter in case I lose one in the field. As you have discovered - there is no standard size!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
.060" (1.5mm) Replacement Rod, Red : FIBER OPTIC REPLACEMENT RODS | Brownells

This is for .060 for the Taurus Protector .38 +P. Works just fine.
Good to know. I am sure they are same as for 605 Poly. Looks like I am going to have to order some after all. TRUGLO never came through either... and they even said they were sending me some, but that has been weeks now. And Taurus still never got back with me after they agreed to look further into it. I think the lady agreed only after I seemed pretty insistent - just to get me off the line. Oh well. No biggie. I will order .060 and I will post back if it fits.

You would think that fiber optic sites would be a known "problem child" with a known need to periodically replace the rods. As such, manufacturers could include a couple spares with their guns or at the very least, list the diameter in the manual in case replacements are needed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts