Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll find out tomorrow for sure when I ask the LGS but I was wondering if you buy two do you have to pay the FFL fee twice also or is it up to your FFL?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I would assume it is up to each individual FFL to decide that. Just like the amount of the transfer fee, in my area they range from $20 to $40.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
It's up to the dealers, no matter what all the guns have to be logged.

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
Depends on the dealer. My FFL has a sliding scale.

Also if get two at a time my FFL says that he has to report it to the cops in his town and my town. He used to work for the government so he's a stickler for the rules.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
That is the standard in this region. I have seen long-standing customers get a break on multiples, get to pay an earlier rate than current and get a lower rate for lower receivers.

Joe off the street = 1 charge for each purchase.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I bought two lowers a few months ago and used a new FFL for them. They charged me the 20 (standard rate) for the first one but only charged 5 for any others during that visit for 25 total. Instead of 40 total. But I'm pretty sure it's whatever/however they want to do it.

You might want to shop around...

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess if I decide to get two I might have to ask around again. FFL fees around here range from $35-$75!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I bought two lowers a few months ago and used a new FFL for them. They charged me the 20 (standard rate) for the first one but only charged 5 for any others during that visit for 25 total. Instead of 40 total. But I'm pretty sure it's whatever/however they want to do it.

You might want to shop around...
Yep - When rate creep happened I could deal/reason with shops that I had a good long term relationship with - and kept my previous price. Big boxes - rules - that is all! I now have a guy at the club - LEO who does FFLs for club members $10 lowers, $20 guns.

There are many FFL searches on the web that you can do. I know a guy who works from home and will go as low as $10 per transfer BUT he does not keep regular hours or return all calls or e-mail promptly AND you have to ship to him. That savings stopped being a good 'value' for me BUT there are often low-key FFL agents in every town. You just have to find them!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I pay one transfer fee for up to 3 firearms at my FFL... Others in my area charge per gun and others charge per gun for the first 2 guns, then offer a discounted price on the rest,... Shop around.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Take a look at the Buds website, they have a good list of FFLs and sometimes have the transfer prices as well.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take a look at the Buds website, they have a good list of FFLs and sometimes have the transfer prices as well.
Sweet! Thanks. I just found a place not too far that does transfers for $20 and second for $10!

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're paying the FFL holder for his time. Some see you buying online as taking business from them and as such their transfer fees are higher, or they will refuse to do them all together. That's their prerogative. They could do it free if they want. I actually know a place that does free transfers. I've been going to the same guy for a few years now and he gives me a discount on multiples. I pay $25 for the first and $5 each additional.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You're paying the FFL holder for his time. Some see you buying online as taking business from them and as such their transfer fees are higher, or they will refuse to do them all together. That's their prerogative. They could do it free if they want. I actually know a place that does free transfers. I've been going to the same guy for a few years now and he gives me a discount on multiples. I pay $25 for the first and $5 each additional.
I find that shops/FFL like the one I go to that specializes in gunsmithing, finishing, restoration, etc usually do transfers for less than places who make most of their profit from actually selling guns.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My FFL charges $30 for the first handgun, which includes the $10 background check, and less for subsequent guns if processed at the same time. I cant remember how much less though because I've never purchased more than one at a time. LGS refuses to do transfers.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I'm spoiled, found an FFL that only charges the $10 background. He only wanted $10 total to transfer 4 guns at once since it was all on one form, one bg check. I, knowing that I would be seeing him a lot more, paid extra.

I would negotiate with your FFL. If you are assertive and let on that you know there is the same amount of work regardless of how many guns get transferred at the same time, they would have a hard time justifying charging you multiples, especially if they're charging you for multiple bg checks and only need to do one.

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
When doing transfers on 2 guns, we pay for one and the second is done for free. :p

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Well, I hope you folk realize just how good you have it! For now we're still stuck in the crab pot here and our transfers cost lots, lots more than what you are paying, but then again there are a lot more forms for us to fill out and the FFL has to keep track of all those forms and then call everyone back to come in and pick up their firearm when they get the response from the state police! It's a lot of work and a lot of headache so I don't begrudge them the $65-$75 that they charge. Just thought I'd let ya'll know so that you can bask in the sunshine of your situations! :D

Reactions: McE and MadKaw
1 - 20 of 32 Posts