Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked several months ago about the legitimacy of shooting a .223/5.56 at a feral hog. Well these last 3 days I was on a hunting ranch in southern Mizzou called Stone Creek, it's located just southeast of Ft. Leonard Wood near Edgar Springs, MO.

I went with 4 friends, myself and Ben shooting an AR-15 chambered in .223, Cory shooting a bolt .243, Steve shooting a 30-30 lever and Aaron shooting a bow.

All 5 of us were successful at taking pigs, Ben, Cory and myself took good sized Boars from 180-230 pounds. Steve and Aaron took sows, one weighing 210 and the other 170 pounds.

Cory rang out the first shot on hunting day one with the ranch dog baying a sounder, we all came running and found that Zach, the ranch dog, had a boar bayed. The boar turned from the dog and ran right at Cory. He shot the pig at about 6 yards with his bolt action .243 and the hog crumpled. First day 3 hours into a stalk first pig down.

We went back to the lodge had a glass or two of water and cleaned the pig and put him in the freezer.

Steve took the next two shots, one was on the run and missed high the next I was not present as I was on a separate stalk, but was told it was about a 30 yard shot and DRT.

We broke for lunch and at about 3 o-clock started another stalk on another section of the property.

We saw a sounder from the ranch vehicle and dismounted for a stalk. Ben had the shot and the pig stopped at a dead run broadside in an awesome shooting alley and Ben's AR with Federal Soft point 55 gr bullets rang out, the pig squaled and hauled bacon over a ridge and out of sight. The Guide thought Ben had hit him in the ham and wasn't sure we'd be able to find him. We started out on a decent blood trail but after 200 yards of sporadic blood in the thick ozark timber the trail ran cold. We set up a guy at the last known blood trail and the other 4 fanned out while the guide went back to the lodge to get the dog. We couldn't find another blood sign in a 75 yard radius from the last so we sat until the dog and guide got back.

The dog got hot on a trail running the opposite way of our wounded pig. Aaron the guide and myself ran after the dog only to find 150 yards from the last trail, that he had a 25 pound pig backed up against a pond, we held the dog off as this pig was not a shooter and he swam across the pound and ran off, we let the dog loose and he went right to the 25 pounder trail and was hot on it and had it cornered again back at the last blood trail where Ben, Cory and Steve had the dog cornering the same little piglet slowly killing him, we held the dog back and 2 shots rang out from the 1911 killing the little guy. I'm hoping he'll be a great smoker!

From there we set the dog back on the blood trail and he seemed to be on to something but ended up with nothing, we decided to take another ridgeline and lo and behold found what we thought might be Ben's boar bedded down. I stepped up at 30 yards and let a shot loose into his head, but he was already dead and rigor had set in, but his body was still warm. The pig had run over 450 yards with a severed carotid artery!

That night over icy cold adult malted beverages we regaled the day and were content to go to bed early and get up early for a good start.

Aaron and Cory went to sit in a stand by a pond that had a little clearing around it so he would have a clear shot opportunity with his bow.

I went on a short stalk with the guide, when through the foliage I saw what I thought was a pigs ear sticking up through a pile of leaves. We circled til we could confirm that it was in fact a decent sized pig bedded down. I aimed an inch low of the base of the ear and 2 inches forward and put my .223 federal nosler tipped 55 gr through his eye blowing out the back of his head. DRT!!!

Aaron returned looking a little dejected saying he had a shot but wounded the animal and couldn't find it, we were about to load up the dog and go looking for a trail, when he told us he was just kidding and showed us the bloody arrow that had gone through and through. He was on a stalk on the ground and had hit the pig from 25 yards banging home a double lung shot, the pig ran 75 yards and expired.

All five of us very happy with our kills and relieved we were all successful.

Just goes to show shot placement is key, while the 30-30 and .243 were impressive the .223 did the job and the primitive arrow did quite well.

The group shot shows Myself, Ben, Cory, Steve in back and Aaron with his bow.

Attachments

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Nice! Free Bacon is always a bonus.

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
The baby back ribs on that piglet would be great. Let me know how good the meat is on that big black boar!

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
I have GOT to get out and do this sometime. Lets see....my AR, my Marlin 30-30, or my SKS.....decisions, decisions. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've been wanting to go hog hunting for a long time now but can't find anyone to go with me.
The local army depot has something going on but it's limited to shotguns, handguns and bows

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Great hunting story! Very enjoyable! Thanks for sharing your adventure!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I do love to read a great hunting story...especially ones with photos!

Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've been wanting to go hog hunting for a long time now but can't find anyone to go with me.
The local army depot has something going on but it's limited to shotguns, handguns and bows
Come on down to San Antonio and we'll go to Poteet Tx for some hoggies.... and bring MilProGuy
and we'll enjoy some pork chops.... :D

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
...and some good old fashioned Southern-Style barbecue!

·
Registered
32,089 Posts
I guarantee you, we are seeing more live hog stories from our members now. I am still waiting to get a report from you guys who have cleaned and butchered some of those old big boars.

I know the feral pig problem has pretty much just surfaced over the past ten years and it multiplies every year exponentially as one mature sow can easily raise 24 piglets a year. This is a reason I really only want to harvest the younger pigs for food. I don't feel like an animal is wasted to leave a 120-400 pound boar lay there. The dead pigs eventually become pig feed.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Great write-up! Sounds like a hellofa good time. Glad all got a kill!

·
Super Moderator
35,223 Posts
Hmm, a TA hog hunt? Only thing I don't like about HUNTING hogs is you usually have to sit up past my bed time when I'd rather be home snuggling under the covers. I just usually let my trap do the night hunting. I have been on a high fence ranch that was so over-populated, you just walked around kickin' 'em out of the bushes during the daylight. I'm thinkin' eventually the whole danged state is going to be that way. They're taking over.

Reactions: scrabtree6
1 - 15 of 15 Posts