Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
CB radios stirred some interest amongst the old geezers here, so lets go just a wee bit further back.

Anyone remember, or had fenderskirts and curb feelers? :angel:

I been thinkin' about findin' some curb feelers for my little woman. She could dang sure use 'em if you know what I mean. :drool:

My first auto had one, yeah one curb feeler on it when I bought it. I couldn't afford fender skirts though. :bang: :zzz:

Premium Member
Ok, from one OLD guy! I had a 1953 Chevrolet, 2 dr customized, bull nosed, fender skirts. Then I went with a 1957 283, Chev 2 dr HT, dual exhausts, with lake plugs, and again the matching fender skirts. I think my mom put curb feelers on one of them, as a present to me!! Yeah right!! The next in line was a 66 Olds 442, 4 spd, dual exhausts, but no fender skirts. I put curb feelers on it as the wife would tend to drag the tires on every curb in town.

Registered
I had a 52 Mercury with what was left of a curb feeler on it. These days all the curbs around here seem to be the rounded ones that you wind up half on top of rather than the old squared off ones.

Registered
My dad had curb feelers on one of his cars. My 68 Cadillac Coupe deVille had the fender skirts.
The little release lever would take a beating from our snow & salt up here, so sometimes they'd get so rusty you couldn't get it to release, so you had to wash 1/2 the wheel & tire, then pull up and wash the other 1/2. And if you didn't pull up just the right amount, you'd end up with a little dirty spot where you couldn't reach. :rolleyes:

Registered
Robby said:
Ok, from one OLD guy! I had a 1953 Chevrolet, 2 dr customized, bull nosed, fender skirts. Then I went with a 1957 283, Chev 2 dr HT, dual exhausts, with lake plugs, and again the matching fender skirts. I think my mom put curb feelers on one of them, as a present to me!! Yeah right!! The next in line was a 66 Olds 442, 4 spd, dual exhausts, but no fender skirts. I put curb feelers on it as the wife would tend to drag the tires on every curb in town.
My first car was a '53 Chevy Bel Air 2 door sedan. I got when I was 15 from a retired Birmingham firefighter who was going to restore it but decided otherwise. I kept that car for 12 years. I finally sold it when I couldn't afford to buy body parts for it after some jackass hit in a parking lot and drove off. I learned a lot working on that car, really miss it.

BTW: I got the car in '86

Registered
My first was a 53 Pontiac Cheiftan with a straight 8. Not a road long enough in north Texas to wind the thing out. Big fat ugly whitewall tires and an indian chief hood ornament that lit up when the headlights were on. Interior large enough to hold the graduating class of a large high school. More chrome than a mouth full of braces. Smokewagon, you make me hanker for the good old days.

Premium Member
rwcreigh said:
so would they make a scratch or scrape sound? or were they just for show?
actually, if they were set right, the noise was enough to get your attention before you smashed those wide white walls against the curbs and made them all black spotted. Being attached to the bottom edge of the fender, it became kind of a sound board transmitting the sound too.

Registered
Never used either, but I did start my driving career in a '55 Chevy 110. At one time I had been given a set of Appletons, but I never felt that they helped the image. I DO remember fuzzy dice, and drag racing scenes on the rear deck with 1:25 cars, using cotton to simulate smoke. How about chromed-reversed wheels? Duntov 097 cams, Carter AFBs, Hilborn Injection, Fenton headers, Ardun overhead conversions, Smittys, Magnetos, generators, 6 volt electrical systems, and windshield wipers run by engine vacuum? Manual chokes, starter buttons on the floor, dimmer switches on the floor, and vent windows? :D

Administrator
Discussion Starter #12
Suicide knobs anyone? :D

Registered
You guys make me feel so young. My first car a radio with volume and tuning knobs and I thought that was "old school".

Registered
Smoke, those were not suicide knobs. They were neckin knobs.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #15
Suicide neckin' knobs...

And then there were the Continental kits. :zzz:

Super Moderator
when i met my wife she had a 59 ford with the big whale tail lights loved that car could take 10 people to the drive inn with at least five in the trunk

Premium Member
I had a friend who drove a 40 something Ford, or Plymouth businessmans 2 dr coupe, that from right behind the front seat to the rear of the trunk was a closed compartment, it would probably have held more people than the springs would have allowed. It would beat the heck out of that 59 Ford.

Registered
Smokewagon said:
Suicide knobs anyone? :D
Of course. Had one on my 65 Dodge Coronet convertible. The steering was so easy on the old Chrysler products anyway, but it was nice. Had one on the John Deere lawn tractors
every year I was in business too. But the JD ones were SS , not cool plastic colors like the old ones.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts