Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my wife applied for her CCW (hurry!!!, I think ;D ). She told me that she would carry in her bag. I told her that I felt that it would not be a good idea. As for she would not always have possession of it or that would be the first thing a thief may go for. So, if we have any ladies on the site or for guys who have wive that CCW, What works best? IWB, OWB, ankle, small of back etc? Im thinking of giving her my P85.

PS-gonna post this also on the Smith & Wesson site. I go there from time to time. In case you guys see it over there.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I know that this was discussed a while back on another forum I frequent. One of the mods is female so she started the thread. From what I recall, there was no easy answer, it depended on their style of dress and the shape of their body.

I think the easy answer was to get a larger holster box for them for all the stuff that they have tried that didn't work.

Steelheart

·
32,616 Posts
There are several options for carry for women. Galco, Don Hume,Bianchi Leather, all have women's holsters.

Second mode of carry would be a fanny pack from any of the holster makers. These have seperate pockets for the revolver,spare ammo, and essentials that would be carried in a purse.

There are vests, shirts, and pants, made by.5.11 that have pockets in the garments that hide revolvers and pistols. There are other clothier companies that make these things, but the are geared towards women as well as men.

There are also belly bands that work well with women. Worn so the revolver is at navel or hip level and in a crossdraw fashion, the reach and natural draw from that side can be accomplished. Belly bands are cheaper than most leather holsters.

Polymer holsters may be too stiff and uncomfortable for women's wear for long periods of time. The body shape has a lot to do with this as holsters tuck into the body differently than they do for men. Women who have a shape similar to a man's hips and frame can use men's holsters with no problem.

One has to work with the cant of the holster as well. On some women, the cant should be forward or none at all depending on a case to case basis.

Stay away from the bra or garter holsters all together. Hard to draw from physically, and the gun sags the holster and supports easily.All these designs have to be experimented with and looked to see if they will work. Everybody has a box with ones we found out did not work, but seemed like a good idea at the time.

One last thing. Kramer Leather makes a ladies and men's mesh shirt called the Confidant that has a pocket on each side under the arm or near it. These have straps to secure the firearm and go under a blouse or shirt. Large and small framed guns can be carried, but these favor medium to small framed handguns.

Off body carry is a bad idea under most circumstances as you have already said. Purses, day planners, and other such modes of carry draw the criminals to them the way flies are drawn to garbage.

Searching the holster makers websites, trying holsters at gunshops if they will let you, and procuring as many catalogs for as possible for researching this would give you a broad base to choose from. If pants or jeans are worn more than dresses, then an ankle holster might be considered also. A cotton sock goes on first for comfort and a hedge against chaffing. Then the holster. And if possible, tuck part of a the second sock up over the gun and holster. Wide or baggy bottoms at the cuffs are needed to carry this off. Have your wife take her time and research all this.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Cabelas also shows a purse that is designed with a holster built in if she decides to go that route. If she is more "hip" then there are other types of carry "bags" made by versapack that get good reviews.

I would personally recommend a IWB tuckable holster for her, with a small snub-nosed revolver in .38 special. Recoil will be moderate, but not as bad as a .357. Another good option would be a Bersa Thunder .380 or a Taurus PT111/145. Of course, another obvious answer would be a KelTec P3AT. That would literally fit in her pocket.

If she has to wear a dress, then she'll have to go with a purse or other bag, or use the KelTec which could go in a pocket. A bellyband would work, but she'd have to take her dress off to get to it and doubt you or she would appreciate that, although it just might stop the thief in his tracks.

Todd

·
Registered
876 Posts
schlemer said:
Today my wife applied for her CCW (hurry!!!, I think ;D ). She told me that she would carry in her bag. I told her that I felt that it would not be a good idea. As for she would not always have possession of it or that would be the first thing a thief may go for. So, if we have any ladies on the site or for guys who have wive that CCW, What works best? IWB, OWB, ankle, small of back etc? Im thinking of giving her my P85.

PS-gonna post this also on the Smith & Wesson site. I go there from time to time. In case you guys see it over there.
I say, a long as she's going to carry, you're both ahead. As she gets more comfortable with carrying, she might decide on her own that carrying on her person is better.

My wife just got her first carry handgun (Bersa .380), and we're going through the same questions/issues. She hasn't got her permit yet, so the issue is still theoretical. I'll let all y'all know what she decides to do, and if she changes her mind down the road.

tman

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, You gave me some good ideas to run across to her. Naming specific companies was a big help. Type of carry also a big help. Baby steps for the little woman (5'4' and 117lbs. shhh, but you didn't hear that from me ;) ) will be my priority. I want her to be confident with herself.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My girlfriend is going to carry pretty soon ( :'( Im so proud) and I never thought about the purse snatching thing, I'm gonna have to explore alternatives for her. She is pretty small and the gun she is getting is not small (FHN 9mm). Good info for everyone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check out Paxton Quigley web site Darn now I can think of it's name maybe armed and female. She has a wealth of info for women if anyone out there knows the site please chime in as I'm having a brain fa t

·
Registered
128 Posts
My wife carries her 605 in a purse and a P3AT on her person. I've always worried about the purse being grabbed but she insists it is too large for carrying beyond inside a jacket. She is 5' 4" and petite and refuses to wear baggy (sloppy) clothes. I've asked her to look at small, thin semiautos but she feels confident with the P3AT.

·
32,616 Posts
There is a web site called www.corneredcat.com that has excellent info for females as well as the males. Would be worth it for all to look at. Has everything needed to get the "little woman" squared away. Kathy Jackson, who runs the site is a.k.a. Paxton Quigley. ;D

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Just remembered that I should have mentioned a high quality leather clothing/carry site that she (and others here) might be interested in. They make jackets, vests and purse plus some other stuff. And its all designed for carry.

http://www.coronadoleather.com/

I should add that I have never ordered anything from them, just not willing to pay that much for a jacket. A normal jacket with a nice holster on the belt works for me (and I can always add a pocket gun to the jacket).

Steelheart

·
Registered
33 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
There is a web site called www.corneredcat.com that has excellent info for females as well as the males. Would be worth it for all to look at. Has everything needed to get the "little woman" squared away. Kathy Jackson, who runs the site is a.k.a. Paxton Quigley. ;D
I think you may be mistaken on this last, QD.. Kathy Jackson does use the username pax on a number of sites, but she uses it for it's Latin meaning, "peace". Paxton Quigley is a different person, though both of them are unquestionably female.
Blessings,
M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts