Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had feeding problems with Berry's plated bullets? I have 4 1911's and a P345, and my Taurus and Norinco 1911's are the only one's of the group that don't have lock up problems. I'm using the 200gr conical, plated bullet. It feeds, but the action doesn't always lock.

·
22,058 Posts
I have used 230 gn and 185 gn double struck Berrys with no problem.
I have shot a lot of these and had no issues with the bullet.

4.8 or 5.0gn universal with the 230gn plated runs well in my Springfield 1911 and M&P.
5.1gn of tightgroup with the 185gn double struck runs good too.

These are light competition loads.

·
Administrator
18,183 Posts
Have been using the Berry's 200 grn FP's in all of my .45's (EAA Witness, PT945, S&W 4506, Colt 1911) with no feeding problems, as yet. However, my Colt 1911's barrel feed ramp is very funneled (yet still fully supports the case head) so I'm not sure that's a fair example. Will soon see if my new 24/7 OSS will like it. I fully expect that it will. Have also fired my load in a Ruger P345 with no problems.

Check to see if your Cartridge OAL is compatible with the barrels of your other Pistols. Make sure that the Bullet/Bullet Shoulder is not into the Rifling, when chambered. I suspect that is your problem. When determining a Cartridge OAL, generally, I leave only 0.05 of Bullet shank exposed at the case mouth, otherwise it will get into the Rifling of my EAA Witnesses, which have very little freebore after the chamber. The same is true of Ruger P90 and P345's. You do want the bullet to have some space to jump to the rifling, otherwise Pressures can spike.

Please also note that if you end up shortening your Cartridge OAL, you may need to redevelop your load, as there will be less space internally, and higher pressures will be present.

Edit Note: One thing you can do to help determine your proper Cartridge OAL is to use the barrel of one of your "Problem" pistols, such as the P345, as a gauge. Field Strip the barrel from the Pistol and gradually seat the bullet deeper, drop the bullet into the Chamber, to check if it fully loads.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you give me an OAL to use as a reference ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know if this will help you... I had feeding problems with a Llama 45 acp. I went through all the recommendations and nothing fully cured the problem. What worked for me was a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I ran two boxes of my reloads through the die and did not have one problem in those 100 rounds... and none there after.
For what its worth...

·
Registered
110 Posts
welder05 said:
I don't know if this will help you... I had feeding problems with a Llama 45 acp. I went through all the recommendations and nothing fully cured the problem. What worked for me was a Lee Factory Crimp Die. I ran two boxes of my reloads through the die and did not have one problem in those 100 rounds... and none there after.
For what its worth...
Yeah, I was having problems with a copper plated 200 grain load. A Lee FCD made them feed perfect.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I load Berry's 230 gr. rn and have no problems. As JWC007 stated, you need to check OAL of your finished load. You will be able to find the SAMI specs in your reloading manual. Also check the diameter of your load compared to these same specs. I would suspect that your OAL is too great or your cartridge diameter is out of spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts