Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to find a reliable set of inexpensive bullets and found a nice set of moly-lead bullets but feed issues have me holding back. The softer lead and shouldered LSWC are being marred by something sharp. It appears to be a feature of the feed ramp.

There is a notch cut out of the side of the ramp that seems to serve no purpose (checked the gun every which way to see if there was a reason to machine out that notch and found nothing). The first hang-up is the sharp edge at the bottom of the ramp where the notch was cut. The second is the apex of the notch where it can bind or gouge there as well.

Just wondering, is this a normal feed ramp cut?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pt745

·
Registered
55 Posts
normal ramp it seems, feed issues could have to do with ammo selection, I would suggest a good cleaning, Is this a new or used Firearm and if new has it gone through the break in period?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Must be the soft flat tipped lead bullets getting gouged out and caught by the sharp ramp edges. I've seen this happen to a Glock 27 being fed moly coated lead flat nose bullets.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Personally, i would hit walmart and grab a 100 rounds of Federal 230 gr. FMJ's to wear that ramp in first. It should wear a groove into the ramp that should help in loading just about any round you like. But also remember, any gun can be picky about what it eats. My 945 doesn't like TulAmmo, but most of my other guns don't care what they're fed. Although it can get expensive, trial and error is the only way to find out for sure.

·
Super Moderator
17,625 Posts
Doesn't look right to me, but I don't have a 745. I can't recall ever seeing a feed ramp like that on anything. Anybody else with a 745 that can check this against theirs?

·
Registered
199 Posts
i think that looks similar to my pt145 but i cant be sure how similar until i can get home and check later today.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
That is one butt ugly feed ramp - No way that can be a correct. See the following Utube video at about 2:45 min. in. View in highest resolution and you'll see clearly there is no notch on feed ramp.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah, the ammo that has feed issues hangs up first on the sharp edge at the base of the feed ramp on the notch, then it hangs up again on the top of the notch outside edge, binding. You can examine the ammo and see two "cuts" even when it feeds where it is binding but spring pressure drives it through and it cuts the led.

On LSWC bullets the shoulder is what hits against the notch and I have had it absolutely maul the brass in those cases.

So can anyone else confirm if their 745 has a notch cut into it's feed ramp? Without that notch things would feed normally. Ball profiled Jacketed feed fine because of the elongated nature of those bullets and the gentler profile. This means the nose of the bullet rides the trough correctly keeping any part out of contact with the sharp notch. If this is an issue, that would mean a call to Taurus but unlike last time I would like to confirm this notch is an anomaly rather than a design component before sending my gun off for it's one month vacation to Miami... I would like a one month vacation to Miami. :)

It should be noted that notch in the feed ramp is MACHINED IN. Whatever it is doing there. It was cut in during machining. and passes all the way through to the pin channel.

For those of you without notched feed ramps I can put you in contact with the moly (and sized/waxed) Lead bullet source. He sells them in lots of 1k and 2K
They are nice bullets with my sample of LRN showing a <1% deviation on weight and the LSWC showing less than 2.5% deviation on weight in my sampling. Uniformity was high, no base deformations or voids.

.45 ACP, 200gr SWC = $70/1000 or $152/2000 shipped to your door including tracking
.45 ACP, 230gr RN = $75/1000 or $147/1800 shipped to your door including tracking

Also watched the youtube, his PT745 was a 1st or 2nd Gen. Mine is a 3rd gen. I may give Taurus a call on Monday to see if the machining of the notch is intentional or was done to "save an out of spec part".

This gun has been through about 500 rounds of ammunition at this point. So wear in isn't an issue. Jacketed Ball only feeds due to the profile enabling it to ride OVER the notched area and thus prevents case contact with the notched area as well.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looks exactly like the feed ramp on mine and my fathers PT145.
Is there some clearance need on the 145 that the ramp is notched for? I am trying to figure out why the ramp has been notched when there is no clearance needed. Shared Part numbers between guns? AFAIK Only the 145 and 745 share barrels. Everything else is going to be longer shorter.

Are the 145s you have 1/2/3rd generation?

Knowledge is power, I seek it.

The 1st and 2nd generation PT745 do not have that notch. The notch is the source of my troubles. If I can idenitfy if I need a new barrel or not will help. If this is THE standard for barrels in these weapons (3rd gen), then I will need to seek a solution to the ramp, some kind of radiusing of the notch to prevent snags to a reformation of the removed material in an appropriate filler.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
Argos, please let us know what Taurus says about the notch. It sure doesn't make any sense to me why - appears like just looking to cause problems - even if it was purposely designed in - it's still butt ugly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
2012-04-29_18-24-50_743.jpg
2012-04-29_18-28-49_256.jpg

as i thought, my 3rd gen pt145 does have the notch like that.
but when the round at the top of the mag is there it should be above it.
unless your reloads arent powerful enough to cycle the slide completely to allow the mag spring to push the next round up to the proper height before it tries going into battery and forcing the round into the feed ramp too soon

just maybe an idea.

edit - i loaded the wrong 2 pics the first time around and thats why theyre down there \/

Attachments

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love moondawg's bright blue big text ;)
Gregg, your pictures are PERFECT!

If you look at the 2nd picture of the ones in the body you can see the difference between the 145 and the 745. There is a metal flange or some kind that fits into that notch on the 145. The 745 does not have that so it is just empty space. Or at least that is what I can tell from the picture, it is a bit blurry.

I am going to give Moondawg's approach a GO. I have compound (3M) that should do the trick. The 3M is fairly aggresive. We use it as the first pass on fresh auto paint. Going to order some of the Moly LRN and just ride the 230ish Grains. Am I correct in recalling that the proper way to polish a feed ramp is with a forward and back motion (in the direction of feed)?

·
Registered
199 Posts
2012-04-29_19-12-16_433.jpg

this one should be a little more clear.
(i didnt realize how blurry it actually was.)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
View attachment 27075

this one should be a little more clear.
(i didnt realize how blurry it actually was.)
Hmm, so as far as we can tell, there is no reason for this notch? Brilliant. Let's machine a notch into the feed ramp for no reason....... I can see now that, just as with mine, the notch serves no useful purpose. I wonder if our barrel blanks are utilized in another model outside the PT145/745? Might explain it's existence.

Still, going to have at it with a buffing wheel and get mirror on that sob... tomorrow. To busy reconfiguring my system today....

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I have a 745 and it does not have that notch. That being said mine will only feed FMJ and 230gr. golden sabers after over 500 rounds.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That ramp seems very roughly finished. All the Millennium Pros I have handled have very smooth cornered and mirror polished ramps. A factory quality control problem, perhaps?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts