Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed that the feed ramp on my PT140 is awfully narrow and has squared corners at the outer corners at the bottom most part of the ramp. Other guns Ive looked at, have had the feed ramp much wider at the bottom most point of the ramp and flush corners there as well(in smaller calibers even). Could this have anything to do with the problems of FTF with JHP people have complained about? I could see where the corners at the bottom most part of the ramp could catch the hollow area of a JHP as the JHP doesnt have the inclined plane advantages of the FMJ. It seems to me while this would be oversight on Taurus' part, a trip to a good gun smith could have the feed ramp widened at the bottom most part and have the corners eliminated and thus solve the FTF problems with JHP. This is just speculation on my part, but I think my reasoning is sound. Has anyone else noticed this and perhaps had the feedramp modofied as Ive described? Did it solve the FTF with JHP?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are examples of what I mean:

Taurus PT140 feed ramp
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Keltec P3AT feed ramp
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Suggested grinding area on PT140 feed ramp

As you can see on the Keltecs feed ramp, the corners I speak of are far less pronounced than that of the PT140.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
That's an interesting discovery there sir, even a slight relief into the curve would possibly help it and you wouldn't be taking away much material.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive just noticed one more thing as well. At the very edge of the bottom of the 140s feed ramp, it drops off at about a 45° angle, creating a ledge for the round to overcome on its way in. Again, another hanging point for a round without a pointed nose. This ledge is nonexistent on the P3ATs feed ramp as well.

I can see why it would be advisable to run boxes of FMJ through it before trying to feed it JHP. After that many rounds, that ledge and the corners will become more round.

·
Super Moderator
36,490 Posts
I am thinking that the feed ramps are engineered to match the geometry of the magazine feed of the round and the pressure/weight of the slide in motion. If your magazine is feeding the round off the top centered on the chamber and the tolerances (slop) of the slide in the lateral axis are tight, then the edges of the feed ramp should be irrelevant. I am not a gunsmith however and could be all wet, just thinking out loud.

I do know that the Taurus warranty applies to all firearms unless that part or component has been modified. You may be better off doing a fluff and buff on the magazine lips/feed ramp and trying other SD ammo which operates consistently in your pistol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking that the feed ramps are engineered to match the geometry of the magazine feed of the round and the pressure/weight of the slide in motion. If your magazine is feeding the round off the top centered on the chamber and the tolerances (slop) of the slide in the lateral axis are tight, then the edges of the feed ramp should be irrelevant. I am not a gunsmith however and could be all wet, just thinking out loud.

I do know that the Taurus warranty applies to all firearms unless that part or component has been modified. You may be better off doing a fluff and buff on the magazine lips/feed ramp and trying other SD ammo which operates consistently in your pistol.
I wont argue with you. I too was just thinking out loud. As far as what operates reliably in my pistol, I dont know yet, I havent been able to get to the range with it yet. :( Was just speculating on others complaints, complaints that may not even apply to my piece. Thats all, just speculation from a non-gunsmith/engineer. Youre probably right about the tolerances making it a moot point.

·
Super Moderator
36,490 Posts
I wont argue with you. I too was just thinking out loud. As far as what operates reliably in my pistol, I dont know yet, I havent been able to get to the range with it yet. :( Was just speculating on others complaints, complaints that may not even apply to my piece. Thats all, just speculation from a non-gunsmith/engineer. Youre probably right about the tolerances making it a moot point.
We don't argue here anyway, but you'll learn that more and more as you spend time with us. We tend more to make our point or expound on our ideas and let it stand. One of the best things here, besides the knowledge (present company excluded) is the respect we have for each other. I was just bouncing out ideas for you before you take a grinder to your feed ramp. Many of our members are gunsmiths, professional as well as well qualified amateurs and would try it just to see what would happen. Glad to have you aboard and keep us in the loop on the reliability question.

Reactions: Harrychl

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im thinking it would be an interesting experiment. How much could an extra barrel possibly cost? I myself havent considered the grinding on my piece, until I know how its going to function out of the box. I offered it as a possible experiment to those who may have the issue. I may get an extra barrel(if Taurus will sell it considering the S/N imprint and ballistic matching issues if I were to use it in a crime), and take it to a good gunsmith here and have him modify it. Worst that could happen is a waste of money on the barrel and the gunsmiths fee I suppose. And I welcome any input others may have. Good chance Ill have missed something. Im no expert, just a thinker. Two heads(or however many are on this board) are better than 1.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
You might with luck get a barrel from an auction site but I don't think Taurus will sell you just a barrel. :)

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
I don't own a PT 140 to double check, but I do have a generation 2 PT145, and as I recall, it is just like the example of the feed ramp showing in the Keltec. To me it nearly looks like a milling process was missed on the ramp. Other members who own a PT 140 that has been trouble free as most are, to compare the configuration of the feed ramp to theirs. We have quite a few members with PT140's and I'm sure you will get some good opinions.

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
I know for all the semi autos I own all the center-fire catridge guns, even the 1911 with a single stack have a generously wide ramp.

In my three 22 pistols, I know the recent Ruger 10/45 .22 had a pretty dedicated slightly larger than .22 and that ramp is a fairly shallow groove, but hey, it works. I don't remember the feed ramps being that way on my Firestorm 22-6 or my Browning Champion

I did find where you might just be borrowing trouble since you haven't shot it yet, but I see where you are coming from. Make sure you extractor has good free movement and proper gap. A lot of feed problems thought to magazine problems are actually due to faulty or stuck extractors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know for all the semi autos I own all the center-fire catridge guns, even the 1911 with a single stack have a generously wide ramp.

In my three 22 pistols, I know the recent Ruger 10/45 .22 had a pretty dedicated slightly larger than .22 and that ramp is a fairly shallow groove, but hey, it works. I don't remember the feed ramps being that way on my Firestorm 22-6 or my Browning Champion

I did find where you might just be borrowing trouble since you haven't shot it yet, but I see where you are coming from. Make sure you extractor has good free movement and proper gap. A lot of feed problems thought to magazine problems are actually due to faulty or stuck extractors.
Like I said, Ill make a personal call once Ive fired it. Was just making an observation. Im pretty sure my extractor is ok. While I havent fired it yet, I have cycled a mag or two of ammo through the gun manually just to make sure it chambers and ejects ok. I had a gun once that would FTF if you didnt let the slide work completely on its own, say if you wanted to cock it silently by slowly working the slide. Ive also cycled the mags into my hand about 30 times each to break in the springs a bit. That 10th round is still a rather PITA to get in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts