Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
feed issues...UPDATE!!!

ive been having feeding issues from day one so ill start from the beginning.

model is 1911al

doesnt seem to matter what ammo i use( fmj,hp ) i have 8 mags for it 6 wc 47d and the 2 taurus mags that came with it. the round will hit the feed ramp and get stuck there in a horizontal orientation. i can remedy this by pushing up on the base of the mags as i hit the slide release. when i called taurus about it initially they told me the gun just needed to be shot and the rounds hitting the feedramp would polish it up or wear it to the point that it would feed correctly. to me this seemed a little strange as i believe it should feed right from the day it leaves the factory. ive since put about 400-500 rounds through it and it still does this. anybody else having these issues with their guns. anybody have this issue resloved by taurus or another smith? what was done?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Call someone else at taurus and tell them your sending them the gun, and they should take care of it. They really should have it arranged to be picked up. I am thinking the first person you talked to was not the one you needed to talk to, as i have never had to send one back, I hear a lot from others that CS is great with these problems. Think you got a lemon CSR, and they will take care of your gun. That is just not acceptable.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Are you loading the mags to full capacity? If so load it with seven rounds and go shot it some more. Mine had the same issue at first but remedied itself over time. Also some fluff and buff wont hurt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you loading the mags to full capacity? If so load it with seven rounds and go shot it some more. Mine had the same issue at first but remedied itself over time. Also some fluff and buff wont hurt.
i had thought of polishing the feed ramp myself with some rouge and a felt wheel but rather than do this and have taurus reject my gun im going to try and take this up with them first. will call in the morning and see what they say.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
if you are going to polish the ramp in the frame be very careful and do it by hand. it only takes 30 seconds with a dremel and you can ruin the frame. if you are going to polish use a dowel rod with a polishing pad wrapped around it (800 grit min.,preferably 1000 or finer), go slow all you want to do is polish not remove any metal, or change angle of ramp. you need to have a 1/16 gap between frame ramp and barrel ramp. also if you decide to polish the barrel ramp and throat same thing, by hand with dowel and just polish, don't change any angles or remove any material. it is not hard to do, just stay away from dremel and do it by hand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
spoke to a rep this morning. she told me they would take care of it but i had to pay to send it in. i kindly told her that they should cover it since i called about this before and they kinda blew me off. she put me on hold for a bit and when she came back she told me it would be taken care of. will post updates and let you know what happens.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
i had thought of polishing the feed ramp myself with some rouge and a felt wheel but rather than do this and have taurus reject my gun im going to try and take this up with them first. will call in the morning and see what they say.
I would be very, very careful about polishing an Aluminum alloy feed ramp on a Pt1911AL.
mine has and does run everything like a swiss watch from day one, after a really good cleaning that is.
you can use my AL's feed ramp to shave from its so smooth and shiny.

Reactions: stallard

·
Registered
94 Posts
Op, i had the same problem with my brand new stainless pt 1911, but i fooled around and experimented untill i realized what the problem was, mag springs too stiff when new , so i down loaded the mags by one round then it ran perfectly.

I loaded up 8 rounds and let it sat for 2 days , then its perfect now.

Either case Taurus will take care of it, but when it comes back if you have the same problem try what i suggested worked for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
If an extractor is bent or stuck and will not let the rim slip up into or feed into the extractor, that will also cause feed problems.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I guess I was lucky. I fired regular ammo at first, yes, even eight-round mag fulls. Then I tried two brands of hp and have no problems with that either. When Gilda goes dancin' men pay attention.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Typically with new 8 rounds magazines I would load them up to capacity before using for several weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they have had the gun for almost 2 weeks, and i havent heard anything yet, when i go the their website and punch in my serial number and zip i get nothing.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
90 percent of ALL 1911 feed ramps are the magazines OR using ammunition the platform doesn't like. You mentioned " 6 wc 47d". I know a little about 1911s but not sure what that nomenclature means. Try mentioning the manufacturer of these magazines. Whenever I have feed issues, FIRST thing I try is some Chip McCormick MATCH magazines and this generally fixes the problem. Many OEM mags are junk. Next, you didn't mention ammo. The original 1911 was designed to run 230 FMJ. Until the thing is broken in, that would be the best ammo to use.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
the original 1911 John Browning design,he designed to shoot 200 gr. fmj not 230 gr. fmj. the army ordinance wanted the change to 230 gr. ammo, the thoughtg they knew better than J.M. Browning. so he abliged them and gave them a 230 gr. rd.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
magazine spring pressure and angle of the follower will be the culprit 99% of the time. it is usually a weak spring that causes feed issues. was it a FTF or a failure to go back into battery? there is a difference,most just call it a FTF. if the round go even just a little into chamber then it is not a FTF it is a failure to go into battery, it is important to know the difference as there are remedies for each feed issue,but you need to know which it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
magazine spring pressure and angle of the follower will be the culprit 99% of the time. it is usually a weak spring that causes feed issues. was it a FTF or a failure to go back into battery? there is a difference,most just call it a FTF. if the round go even just a little into chamber then it is not a FTF it is a failure to go into battery, it is important to know the difference as there are remedies for each feed issue,but you need to know which it is.
its not going even a little into the chamber. if the slide is locked to the rear and i insert a mag and try to send the slide home by means of slide release or slingshot, the slide moves forward about 1/4 of an inch and stops with the round stuck on feedramp.

·
Registered
597 Posts
90 percent of ALL 1911 feed ramps are the magazines OR using ammunition the platform doesn't like. You mentioned " 6 wc 47d". I know a little about 1911s but not sure what that nomenclature means. Try mentioning the manufacturer of these magazines. Whenever I have feed issues, FIRST thing I try is some Chip McCormick MATCH magazines and this generally fixes the problem. Many OEM mags are junk. Next, you didn't mention ammo. The original 1911 was designed to run 230 FMJ. Until the thing is broken in, that would be the best ammo to use.
The "6 wc 47d"
refers to "6 Wilson Combat 47D magazines". they are the same class as chip's magazines, and arguably some would say even better or worse..depending on who. Personally I like the Chip mags but to each his own. Personally my PT and I like THESE best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it means i have 6 wilson combat 47d mags. all but 20 or so rnds have been wwb 230gr fmj. the hp's i usually carry are ranger t series.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Work the followers up and down with a dowel rod about 50 times each to simulate loading and unloading, then break them down and clean them out well afterwards. Sometimes something as simple as a little extra shavings inside will make them jam up a bit. Give them a bit of dry lube on the spring and inner walls on reassembly and it should have you pretty much set. I did that for the Novak mag that came with my RIA and it's much more reliable now than when it was new out the box. It's the ritual i follow with all new magazines, just to eliminate any failures as the fault of the mags.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts