Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a g2c 9mm, about 2 months old. Fed around 100 rounds of target ammo at the range with zero issues. Once home i loaded magazines with 115 grain hollow point ammo from freedommunitions. Racked slide, and failed to fully chamber. Slide stops about 1/4" from battery. Can tap back and it will seat, but don't like that. Tried another mag, same problem as i manually cycled rounds. Went to target rounds, perfect. Tried sig Sauer hollows. Manually cycled and only 1 got hung up feeding. Attached pics of my wife's g2 pt111 along with my g2c. Notice g2c ramp doesn't line up as well as g2. Any help would be appreciated. I have it set up to return to Taurus for inspection and repair. But curious if it's something I could remedy with sending in

Attachments

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
clean the weapon Very well, lubricate the weapon very well, at 100 rounds of ammo it may likely just need to be shot a bit before trusting it to carry/protection, lets face it you have like a 300-350 dollar gun and so quality control, isn't going to be up there with a 500-700 dollar handgun, so likely parts are rougher , not fitted near as well.
hand cycling also has no indication of how the weapon will act when actually firing it, take a couple mags to the range of the self defense ammo and try them in actual firing.
even in actual firing the shooter and his/her form and support can also cause failures to chamber.
hope this helps some.

·
Registered
596 Posts
But did you shoot any of the defense rounds to see if they operate the weapon while shooting?

Another question - I thought Freedom Munitions was out of business? I had issues with them in the past and was not surprised when they went bankrupt. My suggestion is to try a known good brand of hollowpoints - Hornady, CCI, Federal, etc. Shoot a few magazines to see if they function before you send it back. There may be a problem with the gun, but it could just be bad ammo or "riding the slide" while you attempt to hand cycle the rounds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a similar experience with LAX hollow points. Between the shape of the bullet and a shallow chamber, gave me an issue. I did clean up my throat with lapping compound which made it more accepting of different rounds. Shotting about 1000 rounds of ammo it does like will help with the break in.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Mine feed Federal HST fine.

Not all hollow points will cycle. There are tolerances on both ends with ammo and guns. I would try something like Speer Gold dot and see if it is the same. Mine didn't like steel case early on. After 500 rounds, it worked fine.

The G2C is similar to the Glock where you need to sling the slide. Pull it all the way back and let it go.

Maloy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the advice. I'm still going to send it in to Taurus, just in case there might be an issue. I have back cc's. Its just concerning seeing as we never had 1 issue with the pt111 with all kinds of ammunition from the start. And trust me I do fully understand this is strictly a budget firearm. I don't expect the world out of it. But I will be carrying it from time to time, so I need something I can trust will go bang when asked to. It has been thoroughly cleaned and lubricated. I know firing cycles much faster, but just racking (hard too, no sissy stuff lol) to get one in the pipe, gets hung makes me feel very iffy about it. At least sending it in will cost zero dollars. I would love to hit range to throw more through it, but my work schedule and family isn't letting that work out too well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But did you shoot any of the defense rounds to see if they operate the weapon while shooting?

Another question - I thought Freedom Munitions was out of business? I had issues with them in the past and was not surprised when they went bankrupt. My suggestion is to try a known good brand of hollowpoints - Hornady, CCI, Federal, etc. Shoot a few magazines to see if they function before you send it back. There may be a problem with the gun, but it could just be bad ammo or "riding the slide" while you attempt to hand cycle the rounds.
They did file bankruptcy back in 2018. Now under new ownership. Went through them for hollow point rounds for 2 reasons. 1, had 2 coworkers claim they've been using their ammo (defensive and target) for a long while with no issues. 2, when I bought ammo from them (early March), ammunition especially defensive rounds were very hard to come by. Still is. Bought 500. My usual brand i use is either sig v crown, or hst. But I still to this day, can't find them in stock anywhere..

But just judging from how flawless the target ammo fed and fired, in leaning towards ammo spec in the freedom rounds. But just can't get over that they are perfect in wife's g2. My g2c is almost an exact clone of that model.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Different guns like/dislike different ammo!
I typically run at least 400- if not 500 rounds of ammo through a new weapon to be sure its functioning, of that at least 100 are defensive rounds.
I normally have between 4-5 different brands of defense ammo on hand, I do reload !
I have been fairly lucky in that almost never do i encounter a problem with ammo performing in all my weapons, I do lean toward sig and CZ weapons though.
the one very distinct ammo (factory) that I remember being a problem was the Hornady XTP and in 380, seems a fair number had problems with that particular ammo in that particular cartridge and it appeared to be caused by the OAL length of the cartridge and the small ejection port and chambers of the 380.
anyway I totally agree if a weapon is not 100% then i ain;t toting it, after all i understand there are no TIME OUTS allowed to be called during a gun fight.
good luck on the repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts