Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The taurus 1911 at the range today liked the Federal 230gr better than the winchester. I had only 1 mis load with the federal while the winchester had 8 out of 50 rounds each. A friend is going to reload the cases and will try again and see if we get the same with reloading as with new. :???:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You will find that federal will be the better brand for you all their stuff is made in the USA whereas you have to look closely on the box to see where your winchester is made because they farm their work out to other countries. In order to buy american made winchester it has to say made in USA in the fine print on the back of the box. Not to knock winchester, some of it's good blasting ammo, but be finicky with the winchester you buy.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
good to know Ace..thanks

+1..i have always liked anything by Federal

kd4iea...
were you shooting FMJ

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Winchester seems to work fine for me but I don't recall ever having an issue with Federal ammo. I've got some ammo sitting in the locker that's earmarked for training courses at some point. Its Federal. I figure if I'm paying for training I don't want to worry about the quality of my ammo causing problems and detracting from the course.

Steelheart

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes on the fmj, I also tried a clip of hyd shock they were smooth and on time.

Jim

·
Registered
132 Posts
I never had problems (that i recall) with Winchester, but I love Federal...................Federal is more accurate to me and never had a failure and also the hydrashock work as stated. I was in a defence situation once and the hydrashock stop the target in one shot and expanded twice as much and only lost five grains of mass.

·
Registered
132 Posts
oh, might i add Corbon as an option i would go with if no federal were around. Corbon seems to deliver a sharper kick as far as recoil, but dont know about the stopping power first-hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts