Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just FYI, I have a pt145 mill pro and had been experiencing problems with FTF's on both factory mags I have shot about 300 rounds of federal 230gr ball through both and still having the problem. Today I went out a shot 100 rounds of Winchester target rounds and 20 rounds of Speer jhp and 25 rounds of Winchester silver tip all 3 at 185gr and she fired like a dream only 1 misfire in all the round I fired. So I would concluded that the federal 230 gr is the problem. Stir clear of them they are bad for business.

Thanks Dave:cool:

·
Registered
431 Posts
sounds like your gun doesnt like em to me,some are like that,doesnt mean its bad ammo it means it just doesnt like your 45

Reactions: Knumbskull

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Some of the smaller Taurus semiautomatics can be ammo picky.

My PT111 doesn't do too well with Winchester white box.

We're glad to have you as an official TaurusArmed.net. :)

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Guns can even throw up at the flavor of top shelf ammo. My 92FS doesn't like Golden Saber but eats up Hydra-Shok. That's why it's important to test your gun with a few boxes of anything you want to use for personal defense be it carry or nightstand.

Also, The latest Federal is using plated bullets and not FMJ. I have loaded a lot of plated bullets and I'm becoming less and less of a fan of them. It's too easy to strip the plating off, and they just aren't the easy win that I hoped they would be for being cheaper.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Were these the FEDERAL CHAMPION or a different Federal load?

In order to cut costs, the FEDERAL CHAMPION has SMALL pistol primers rather than the standard LARGE pistol primers. Last summer at the Cabela's in Allen TX, they had an entire shelf covered with Federal Champion .45 ACP 230 gr FMJ at $15/box, which was the least expensive .45 available at the time, even cheaper than Walmart, and the Russian steel case .45.
I was chatting to the guy behind the Cabela's counter who told me that they bought pallet loads of the stuff, and there was no limit on how much i could buy. I told him that they were non-standard .45 ACP because they had small pistol primers. He told me "no way" and opened a box; he said that if he had not seen it he would not believe it.

They are predominantly sold at WalMart, but also available as bargain ammo at Cabela's. It may be coincidence, but the Federal stock number for this CHAMPION ammo has a "WM" (WalMart?) in teh stock number, and it is not listed on the Federal website!

Just an FYI all .45 ACP, including the cheap Federal Champion, Russian TULA steel case, WWB, and some strange foreign .45 all functioned flawlessly in my PT 145 MilPro.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Subcompacts have one thing in common with .22 rimfires, they "may" be finicky about ammo.

But not always.

My PT145 feeds and fires anything you can stuff in it's magazines.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I use the Walmart Federal 230 grain fmj in my 145. Never any problems for me.

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
I shoot the Champion Federal 230 grain in my PT 145 and my 1911....no problemos de nada!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine is far from ammo sensitive, it even eats Tula without any issues except a few with dead primers(3 strikes and nothing).

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Never a problem with Federal 230 gr. ball in my 945, which tends to eat anything and everything i load in it. Only Tula gives me ejection problems, but always goes bang when it loads up. Some guns have discerning appetites, and sometimes you have to go with what works. My local walmart has been low on Federal lately, so i've been buying 100 round boxes of Remington UMC 230 gr. JHP's for the same price as 100 rounds of Federal (give or take $1-$2). What i like about those rounds is if i ever really need to refill my mags and ran out of PDX1's which i normally carry, i know the Remingtons are right there as backup and have excellent accuracy for a target load.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Welcome to TA net. I have to say my PT145 eats the Walmart federals, Remington green/red box, Monarch FMJ and Winchester PDX...guess its a matter of being temperamental ....

·
Administrator
39,384 Posts
I haven't found a brand yet, that my PT145 doesn't like. But then again, it only has just over 3,000 rounds through it. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts